Duck Hunting Forum banner

Horicon

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  berganser 
#1 ·
Coming up this weekend from Indiana to hunt Horicon. Does anyone know about amount of geese there right now?
Thanks for the help

#2 ·
A CRAP TON!! I scouted the WI River in the Horicon Zone on Monday afternoon and all I saw was numerous giant flocks of Canadians flying overhead...Lots of fields are coming down this week and the geese are taking full advantage, you should have no problem getting into some honkers in the Horicon Zone! Good Luck! :beer:

#4 ·
Stopped at the launch by John Deere and talked to some guys coming off the marsh on opening weekend.Not alot of water out there.Several people said they got stuck in mud.Havn't heard if thing are better yet.My youngest son lives between mayville and horicon.I was by him last saturday and did not see many flocks flying anywhere,as in years before,they were everywhere.Could have shot them just standing in his yard if I had a zone permit.

#5 ·
I heard the same low bird report fer that area. I also heard the same report fer boats gettin stuck. Sure as hell hope nobody figured they could get out there with an outboard. I'll get out there in a couple weeks er so and post how it goes. I'm confident my PD will get through the thick stuff as it has on all the mud rides this past summer. That's half the fun a goin out there!!!

#12 ·
I would honestly buy exterior tags and just hunt the Horicon border. If you have no luck with any birds shoot me a PM and we can get you in on some geese

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

#13 ·
Podcast said:
I heard the same low bird report fer that area. I also heard the same report fer boats gettin stuck. Sure as hell hope nobody figured they could get out there with an outboard. I'll get out there in a couple weeks er so and post how it goes. I'm confident my PD will get through the thick stuff as it has on all the mud rides this past summer. That's half the fun a goin out there!!!
The people I talked to and saw coming in had surface drives and long shafts.Both were running out of water,throwing alot of mud and getting stuck.Maybe with the storms coming in this weekend it will help,but I doubt it.We need much,much,more than that.
I do wish you Good luck and I hope there's water for your hunt.I don't think my oldest son and I will get a chance to get out there as we only have an outboard..Sad to say it,but we haven't got out at all yet.Maybe Sunday as it's my turn to work on Saturday.What a way to waste a saturday. :crying:

#16 ·
Typically the Horicon holds a huge number a geese at any given time. The problem is they stage in the refuge part and are gone come hunting time. Huntin the fields around the marsh is the heat way ta snag some geese. The marsh is set up ta benefit the birds an not the hunters. The north side has most a the food supply and almost all a the open water.

#17 ·
Hopefully the Marsh will have some water this year. That drought last year put on damper on things for the most part.
There were birds early, but seemed to bug out due to water conditions IMO.
I was there early Nov. and Never Seen but 1 Duck! Granted I'm only there for 4 days, but always see some ducks flying.
Shot a few geese. Of course you always like to have the perfect weather, so considering all what was going on we did OK.
So all in all, We'll be back up there and give'r hec this season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.