Lake Hunting

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Lake Hunting

Postby bp64 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:03 am

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to duck hunting and I am wondering on what the rules are for hunting out on lakes in Wisconsin? I have tryed the DNR website and I just can't seem to find the rules on Lakes. So if anyone could let me know the guidelines that would be highly appreciated. thanks
bp64
hunter

Re: Lake Hunting

Postby gatorsnagger » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:53 pm

All lakes are fair game as long as they are not in a city with a hunting ordinance. If you can get in via public access you can hunt it. People might give you a little bit of stinkeye for shooting birds on the recreational lakes but it is fair game.
gatorsnagger
hunter

Postby Teal_Blaster » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:01 pm

Any part of the boat or blind is within 3 feet of naturally occurring vegetation rooted to the bottom.

This vegetation provides at least 50 percent concealment of the hunter, boat and blind when viewed from at least 1 direction horizontally.

Some of this vegetation extends above the water’s surface to a height at or above the sides of any boat, if a boat is used.

Dead stumps and dead trees in the water do not constitute a natural growth of vegetation for the purpose of this rule.

Via http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/wm/WM0010.pdf
Teal_Blaster
hunter

Postby bp64 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Alright Thanks guys
bp64
hunter

Postby rjax25 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:41 am

Is there on ordinance for how far away from residential property or houses you must be set up?
thanks in advance
rjax25
Newb

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:11 pm

From my understanding it is 100 feet from an uninhabited building such as a barn or warehouse. If it is your property or you have permission from the owner I believe it is still 100 feet. All other houses are 100 yards.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby freddie23 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:03 pm

The 100 yd rule seems to be right. However, Lake Winnebago and Green Bay/Lake Michigan have other rules. I believe "bago is 1000 ft and Green Bay is 500 ft. Something to look into as well.
freddie23
Newb

Postby schumacherm » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:34 pm

where can you find these codes? I live in waukesha county but i go to school in platteville and hunt on the mississippi but every once and a while when i come home Im looking for places to hunt and I know there are a couple lakes and rivers around that I would be interested in hunting but I don't know if I'll be able to with the firearms codes. Any help would be appreciated!
schumacherm
hunter

Postby wackem' n stackem' » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:31 pm

The best thing to do is talk with the local police as to what there ordinances are. I found out in two rivers where i live i can be within the city limits hunting lake michigan as long as my feet are wet. I can do the same in manitowoc but i need to have a permit signed by the chief of police
wackem' n stackem'
hunter

Postby schumacherm » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:57 pm

thanks a lot! one of my high school track coaches is a police officer so i'll have to give him a call and see what he can tell me.
schumacherm
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting