The Mighty Mississippi

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

The Mighty Mississippi

Postby Mukwonago Ducks » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:25 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the group. I'm a long time duck hunter, who has recently been held hostage in the form of a Mentor Hunter to my 11 year old son :wink: Just kidding, I'm having fun and I still get to shoot every now and then.

Back to the topic, I live about 3.5 hours from Prairie du Chein, and I've been promising myself I'd take my boat to the Mississippi for about five years now. I have a small 12' Lowe Jon Boat with an old 9.9HP motor.

My problem is, I really don't know anything about the river, and it's quite daunting to think about duck hunting in such a vast area. I thought about going to the Ferryville area, but someone said a 12' boat is way too small for that area. Prairie / Bagley backwaters were suggested to me. Does anyone have any tips or information for someone that wants to try this on their own? I'd really like to do it this year, before another year slips by. Next year my son will be 12 years old and we'll both be able to shoot at the same time. He's obsessed with the possibility of shooting a Canvasback, so I'll have to get the ball rolling on this very soon.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer to me!
Jeff
Mukwonago Ducks
hunter

Re: The Mighty Mississippi

Postby WI WATERFOWL » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:44 pm

First, do not go out on the main channel wiht a 12ft and a 9.9 esp with your kid. A father son in almost that identical rig had to be saved by guide early this year on the river. The waves pick up quick in bad weatehr this are wongdamn adn submerged obsticals, there are big boats and fast boats so big wakes. Either get a bigger boat or stick to backwaters, though a skiff or mudmotor might be better for the backwaters. You might also want to go early in the year that way you would be taking less gear to weight down your boat and the water is warmer if you do go for a swim.

Second, the Mississippi is a good spot for your kid ot shoot a can but probably on the bigger water though. If you are only going to shoot a can and its a once or twice thing, I would just hire a guide. They will have a big safe boat, know where to go and I am sure be able to guarantee you a shot at a can at the right time of year.

Unless you drive like my grandma it should not take you 3.5 hours to get from muwonago to prarie du chen. I made it from Milwaukee to Prarie pulling my boat earlier this year in 3 hours.

Hope this helps
I said coot not shoot!
WI WATERFOWL
hunter

Postby berganser » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:32 am

Great Advice! Hope he Listens and Hope he can get out and get some huntin' in :thumbsup:
Hey, Let's go Huntin'!!
Committed Custom Calls! Try one out!!
berganser
hunter

Postby Mukwonago Ducks » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:52 am

Thanks for the reply. I am planning on going with a friend for my first time this year, and wouldn't take my son hunting until next year sometime. I also heard about the 12' boat that was swamped.

Another question....I have a short shaft motor on the boat, but it doesn't have a "trim" feature, and it is stuck in the down position. Would this be a problem getting into the backwater shallows??

In addition, is there a launch around Ferryville that would let me get to some backwater hunting without having to go into the main channel?

Thanks.
Mukwonago Ducks
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:05 pm

Mukwonago Ducks wrote:Thanks for the reply. I am planning on going with a friend for my first time this year, and wouldn't take my son hunting until next year sometime. I also heard about the 12' boat that was swamped.

Another question....I have a short shaft motor on the boat, but it doesn't have a "trim" feature, and it is stuck in the down position. Would this be a problem getting into the backwater shallows??

In addition, is there a launch around Ferryville that would let me get to some backwater hunting without having to go into the main channel?

Thanks.

Use the advice above. There is no landing in Ferry town that is off the channel. Closest ones are lansing, and worth the drive over loosing a boat and possible life.
As for your motor and back waters. Good luck waters are not high. You will be able to run till your little skeg drags. But at the speeds you will be running, i think if you beach it you can pull it back off the couple of feet you ran up.

Look into just hunting from the shore. Lots of points you can go, and then you dont have to worry about boat safety.

I also have a soft spot for kids and waterfowling(the right way). Feel free to drop me a line when you want to take your boy. Im out litterly ever weekend and all of november.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby cnc123 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Be advised, the Lansing landing current can be a little swift at times. Additionally, the landing gets deep quickly on each side of the concrete. From the landing, a trip down the Winneshiek Slough can be intimidating. Take a GPS and mark your trail. It would be best to hire a guide for your first trip. Pool 9 is huge and you can lose your direction in it very easily. I would never think of taking a rig like yours out there. There are several guides in that area. Just google them.
cnc123
hunter

Location: Wisconsin - On Ol' Man River waiting for first ice.

Postby Whackndstack6 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:33 pm

I happen to be a mukwonago boy myself, How has the hunting been there. I go to college at UWL there are some spots you could get to with your boat but it would require scouting in advance like mentioned above many obstacles, sand bars, logs, rocks, etc come up quick. Walk in spots would be your best bet for this year or a guide. If you want to do it yourself come up in the off season scout it out get to know an area a bit take your boy fishing and come back during the season
Whackndstack6
hunter

Postby Mukwonago Ducks » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:10 am

Ok, no hunting for me, glad I asked the question. I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer, I've never been on the river before, so I really had no idea. Time to upgrade to a bigger boat in a year or so......my 9 year old will be hunting with us next year anyway (two more years of Dad hunting without a gun :wink: )

Mr. Koonce727, thank you for that. Last year, someone I met online offered to take my son in a layout boat in Green Bay. I was at a hockey tournament in GB with him for a weekend, so we took him up on it. He had an absolute blast and he still talks about it. I love to also take other kids hunting with me, as I have a nice goose field and some kids just don't have the opportunity to do different types of hunting. Thanks for making a difference.

Jeff
Mukwonago Ducks
hunter

Postby schumacherm » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:17 pm

i'm from the waukesha area and I would be willing to trade a hunt with you sometime next year. This season i don't have a boat yet, its my buddies 12 foot v hull thats not to great of a river runner but next year I plan to have a jon boat and mud motor. I go to school in platteville so most of my hunting is on the big river. Let me know and maybe we'll be able to work something out.
schumacherm
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting