Season Dates and Zones

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Season Dates and Zones

Postby NickCies80 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:32 pm

I was at a duck meeting yesterday and heard the possiblitiy of the season for starting later for people east of highway 41. They were saying that everywhere east of 41 would be considered part of the southern zone. They were also talking about a posssible 9 am start for ducks. Anyone else hear anything?
NEED SLEEP!
NickCies80
State Moderator

Postby Blackdogs » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:51 pm

This is from the WI DNR website. It has also been stated that there is support of a 9-day split, rather than just the 5-day.

From DNR Website
August 8, 9, 10 – The Department of Natural Resources will hold public hearings on revisions to ch. NR 10, Wis. Adm. Code, relating to the 2006 migratory game bird seasons and waterfowl hunting zones. The proposed rule establishes the season length and bag limits for the 2006 Wisconsin migratory game bird seasons. For ducks, the state is divided into two zones each with 60-day seasons. The season is proposed to begin at 9 a.m. on Sept. 23 and continue for 60 consecutive days in the north, closing on Nov. 21. In the south, the season would begin at 9 a.m. on Sept. 30 and continue through Oct. 8, followed by a five-day split, and then reopening on Oct. 14 and continuing through Dec. 3. The daily bag limit is six ducks including no more than four mallards, of which only one may be a hen, one black duck, one pintail, one canvasback, two wood ducks, two redheads and two scaup. For Canada geese, the state is apportioned in three goose hunting zones with other special goose management subzones within the Exterior Zone. Season lengths are: Collins Zone – 64 days; Horicon Zone – 92 days; Exterior Zone – 92 days; and the Mississippi River subzone – 70 days. The Burnett County subzone is closed to Canada goose hunting. The statewide daily bag limit for Canada geese is the Horicon and Collins Zones is two birds per day during the open seasons within each zone. In the Exterior Zone and its subzones, the daily bag limit will be two birds per day. In addition to comments on the proposed season lengths and bag limits, the department is seeking public input regarding proposals (1) the start of shooting hours for the first day of the 2006 duck seasons; (2) to eliminate the Canada goose Horicon Intensive Management subzone adjacent to the Horicon National Wildlife Refuge; and (3) establishing a new North/South zone boundary for Wisconsin’s duck zones for the 2006-2010 period. The proposed rule and supporting documents, including the fiscal estimate may be viewed and downloaded and comments electronically submitted through the State of Wisconsin Administrative Rules Web site: <http://adminrules.wisconsin.gov>. (Search this Web site using the Natural Resources Board Order No. WM 26 06.) Written comments on the proposed rule may be submitted via U.S. mail to Kim Benton, Bureau of Wildlife Management, PO Box 7921, Madison, WI 53707 or by e-mail to <kimberlee.benton@dnr.state.wi.us>. Comments may be submitted until Aug. 10, 2006. For information contact Kent Van Horn at - (608) 266-8841. The public hearings will all begin at 7 p.m. on the following dates at the locations listed.
August 8, Rhinelander – DNR Rhinelander Service Center - Room A, 107 Sutliff Ave.
August 9, Green Bay – Green Bay City Hall - Room 310, 100 N. Jefferson St.
August 10, Waukesha – State Office Building, main conference room, 141 N. W. Barstow St.
Blackdogs
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:22 pm

Damn! I have to work on the proposed opener :pissed:, and already took vacation thinking it was going to open in October. I like the idea of a split that is longer than 5 days, I'd like to see a split in the area of two weeks. That way all the warm-weather hunters would already have their fill, and there'd be less SKYBLASTERS out there. I Hate it when the southern season opens in September. That's not duck hunting for me. I like it cold and nasty.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NickCies80 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:33 pm

I would agree on the longer split as well but, the way it sounds it is going to be only 5 days. I would be happy with being in the southern zone so it is a little colder for the majority of the season. The last few years I would have had alot of good shooting after the season was closed...probably better shooting than I had during the season. We will see what happens.

Nick
NEED SLEEP!
NickCies80
State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:18 pm

I was scheduled for a guided hunt on the Mississippi on the last two days of the season last year, and wouldn't you know it, the river froze up thick the day before we were scheduled for our two day hunt, only to have a big thaw less than one week later. I love it when the lakes freeze up. that's when we get all our Goldeneye shooting here on the Rock River. I won't be hunting on the opener this year :thumbsdown: . Not a lot of fun hunting in your short-sleeves!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Richard C » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:52 pm

Who was your Guided hunt through?
Richard C
hunter

Postby Richard C » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:53 pm

Who was your Guided hunt through Toye? ya we foze up hard as could be for the last two days!!! Before that though WOW you wouldnt of needed a guide
Richard C
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:28 pm

Richard C,

Yes, it was Tony. I'll be honest with you, I really don't need a guide, but wanted to accomodate my two buddies on an easy hunt. I have a friend who lives on E in Seneca near Tony in Boscobel, and thought it would be nice to have an easy hunt where all we had to bring was our gun, shells, and waders. I figured we'd stay at my buddies and meat Tony at the launch. And after all, the price is right! I'm usually the one doing all the guiding, and thought I'd treat myself to a quality hunt. I'm hunting with him November 13th and 14th this year. No worrying about ice this year. Do you know Tony? Got any feedback you'd like to share? I usually hunt more towards Prarie, and have heard nothing but good from your "neck of the woods"!

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Richard C » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:41 am

I do not know Tony personally... I have only chatted with him in this format.... (I have hunted with in eyesight of him a couple times) I think he produces failry decent bags a regular basis... but so do most people who put in their time on the river.... that is what the name of the game is on the Rver...Scout Scout Scout....

I have heard alot of grumblings about him... but no first hand knowledge.. I have also heard good...But it normally applied to spring snow goose travels

What I wouldnt like is that he shoots as well.... If I were to hire a guide... I would only expect him to dispatch the birds in the water... as you would be using his dog... but dont be shooting at my birds in the air :thumbsdown: Unless I invite you too....
Richard C
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:40 pm

I don't mind if he shoots his birds or his bag limit, but I'll have to keep an eye on him to see if he's shooting more than his bag. I'm taking a real newbie with me, and I'd have to say he'd get a bit pissed if he (Tony) was shooting his birds. Me and my other buddy shoot just fine, and I'll let him know who I am if he decides he's shooting my birds. I've heard both good and bad also, so I'm not going into this completely blind.

I don't know what it is about guides, but most do have a bad reputation. I'd have to say it would be a hard way to make a living, so their bound to take a few shortcuts and make a few enemies along the way.

I'm a pretty easy going guy, and have harvested every bird there is with exception of just a very few, so I'm not so uptight about him shooting birds as well, he just better be ready to stay until we ALL shoot OUR limits before he fills his own, and I won't be taking his birds as gifts either. I'll be very frank with him, and tell him when he's done!

Thanks for the heads-up Richard.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Richard C » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:11 pm

What if he gets a limit and everybody else is one bird short?

that would pizz me off!!!!!
Richard C
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:06 pm

Then his tip will suck! LOL!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting