Hunting etiquette

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Hunting etiquette

Postby RookieJ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:05 pm

So as some of you know I'm fairly new at the duck hunting thing (3rd season) and was wondering what the duck hunter's rule is on people's blinds on public land. I know the state regs say that the blind is fair game to anyone hunting in the area so I assume its a kind of first come first served type thing. But I'm wondering if its an unwritten rule that if someone set up a blind and has it labeled you stay away.
There will be blood!
RookieJ
hunter

Re: Hunting etiquette

Postby War Wagon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Im from the old school...you snooze you loose. If it on public area's I always said first come first served. I have had some problems with this but, as soon as I say "Take it with you, I dont need it" Here I'll help you take it apart right now. :hammer: :hammer: They leave...
War Wagon
hunter

Postby kitasdad » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:58 pm

Absolutely first come first served. If that wasn't the case a guy could just build blinds all over the place and have the whole swamp to himself. Some guys are jerks and think they own the place, but it is just not the case. Remember not to let getting in an argument over a spot ruin your dad, though. I'd rather invite the builder to hunt with me or give up the spot than ruin one of the few days I can hunt. But it is absolutely first come first served.
kitasdad
hunter

Postby RookieJ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks guys, I kinda figured if anything came up I would say what kitas said and welcome them to hunt. If they are ***** tho I will keep War Wagon's tactic on reserve :biggrin:
There will be blood!
RookieJ
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:42 pm

Lots of Bullies out there, Just put the Claymaker Face on I'm shure nobody will bother you .... :hammer:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby merlyn » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:07 am

I hunt public land , a flowage in nc wi, a couple of thousand acres with miles of shore line.i scout haul brush and build a blind
and you come in and set up! there would be a war ! I hope you came by boat because i sure as s... would take it --it being on public land and all and there for first come first serve. this forum seems to have a real problem with guys "boom or internet scouting" always telling people to get out and spend the time, scout and put in the effort. BUT its ok to just moter out and look
for a blind and move in!? move your lazy ass 300 yards and build your own fing blind ,or is coursity and hunting etiquette just
for the other guy.

ps: along with your boat i hope you have acouple of mojos-(mine died)a new benelli and a sexy wife ,it being public and all

pissed off
merlyn
merlyn
hunter

Postby merlyn » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:52 am

i cant let this thing go. if you are going to help yourself to someone elses blind at least wait till they are in it and getting some
shooting . why be stupid enough to steal their setup if it isnt producing.if the ducks are coming in THEN move on in. im sure they
will be happy to give you their lunch and pour you a cup of coffee too
how about this scenario -- you and your kid do a father son/daughter thing ,find just the right spot,team up and build your blind.
the next morning some assclown is in your blind, tells you to f...off, offers to help tear it down,first come ,public land ,i got here first etc. i pray to the duck gods that dad is 6"6 has a black belt and a bad attitude, because you deserve to get the asskicking of a life time
im a fat old man with a fat old dog and maybe i cant kick your ass (i just might try tho) but i guarantee you would regret your lack
of hunting etiquette. @****** are @****** and deserve to be treated that way and stealing others blind makes you one

love and kisses,merlyn
merlyn
hunter

Postby marktank » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:15 pm

i think meryln needs to settle down. if its public land its a public blind. read the DNR Regs it will tell you. enough said.
marktank
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:54 pm

I thaught the reg book said something about blind builder has until 1/2 hr before shooting time to claim spot, any time after that is first come first serve ?
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby kitasdad » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:15 pm

It's ridiculous to think because you built a blind in a spot that you own it. Just because you built a blind doesn't mean you are the only one to scout that area, it just means you were the first to build a blind there. If it was the way you want it Merlyn, I could just build blinds all over the swamp in every area I have scouted and claim the whole d@mn place as mine. It you want to make sure you get that spot, get your @$$ out of bed and get there first. Otherwise shut your hole and find another spot. Public land is owned by everyone. Don't be a d!ck.
kitasdad
hunter

Postby RookieJ » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:32 pm

"Remember: Placement of waterfowl blinds on public land does not
restrict others from using or hunting on the public land where the
blind is located."

Thats the qoute from Wisconsin Migratory regs
There will be blood!
RookieJ
hunter

Postby gunrunnerusmc03 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:15 pm

I think Merlyn forgets that regardless of how many hours or how much money is spent building blinds...they are on public property. Land which we are all entitled too. If you have a problem with sharing your blind then don't build them on public land. Seems like a pretty simple notion to comprehend.
gunrunnerusmc03
hunter

Postby Franky33 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Merlyn congrats, i have been using this website for migration reports for several years but never posted before but your rant left me with no choice. I ran into a problem like this a few years ago and it was not for a lack of scouting. The problem was i did my scouting and found that the birds were landing in a good pothole and their happened to be a blind there. I didn't even want the blind you can have it but i am going to go where the birds are and if that happens to be were you put your blind you better get their before me, don't care how long/ much you spent on the blind. In this same instance don't think because you have a blind there you can show up 20 minutes before shooting and piss and moan because someone is in "your spot". I would not sit in another guys blind but i will sit in the same spot if that is where the birds want to be. A blind does not save your spot. Just my $.02
Franky33
Newb

Postby DukDukGoose » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:13 pm

If there is a blind there, labeled as someone elses, and your in it, you are in violation of the law. Now i wont get into the ethics of hunting someone else's blind, but i can understand why all parties are upset. I had a blind i had issues with. Built it in the back of the marsh where NO one ever hunted, total dead zone. We build a nice blind, and all the yahoos wanna sit it in. Whatever, is what it is. BUT! Think of this, compare a duck blind to an ice shak. When its over the brush pile, do you break in? Do you hit it with your truck? Or do you just deal with it? As well... "But its on public land!", as is your truck, you worked hard to buy it, just like i worked hard to build and camouflage that blind. Because its on public land i should be able to do what i want with it right? Dont mean to ruffle anyone feathers, just food for thought! :thumbsup:
DukDukGoose
hunter

Postby kitasdad » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:53 am

I will say it one last time: Just because you were the first to build a blind in a location does not mean you are the only one to have scouted an area, nor does it mean you are the only one with "dibs" on a spot. It simply means you spent your time at that spot building a blind. It doesn't mean: you were the first to scout, you scouted the most, you know the most, you are the best ever at knowing everything about your spot. Just because you built a blind means nothing. Get up early and get to that spot if you want it. If you are too old (or probably more realistically too lazy considering I ran into a 70yr old docking his boat at 3am last Saturday) maybe it is time to find some other spots to hunt. Or maybe instead of threatening to TRY to kick anyone's @$$ on a website, make some good buddies who ARE willing to do the respectable and be in the spot early so you can get your beauty rest and show up in time to set decoys. The rest of us will sleep when we are dead. :thumbsup:
kitasdad
hunter

Postby gunrunnerusmc03 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:54 am

DukDukGoose wrote:If there is a blind there, labeled as someone elses, and your in it, you are in violation of the law. Now i wont get into the ethics of hunting someone else's blind, but i can understand why all parties are upset. I had a blind i had issues with. Built it in the back of the marsh where NO one ever hunted, total dead zone. We build a nice blind, and all the yahoos wanna sit it in. Whatever, is what it is. BUT! Think of this, compare a duck blind to an ice shak. When its over the brush pile, do you break in? Do you hit it with your truck? Or do you just deal with it? As well... "But its on public land!", as is your truck, you worked hard to buy it, just like i worked hard to build and camouflage that blind. Because its on public land i should be able to do what i want with it right? Dont mean to ruffle anyone feathers, just food for thought! :thumbsup:

You need to contact the dnr and get your facts straight.
If there's a blind constructed on public property it must have a name of the owner. If not, it's not considered a legal blind for anyone to use regardless of who built it. You should probably learn the law

Waterfowl Blind (S): establish a waterfowl blind on state property,
including the bed of any navigable lake, prior to 7 days before the
waterfowl season or leave it established beyond 7 days after the close
of the waterfowl season. No person may maintain, occupy, or use any
blind left on state property during the season unless the owner’s name
and address AND DNR customer ID number in the English language
and in lettering one inch square or larger is affixed permanently
to the blind and shall be readily visible and legible at all times.
Remember: Placement of waterfowl blinds on public land does not
restrict others from using or hunting on the public land where the
blind is located
gunrunnerusmc03
hunter

Postby marktank » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:22 pm

my dad used to be a game warden retired for 2 years now. and just so you know Dukdukgoose, you are not in violation of any law using someone elses duck blind. if there is a blind on public property anyone can use it. PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION.
marktank
hunter

Hunting etiquette

Postby Podcast » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:49 pm

Mark is right. It really does suck though. It's the reason I now use my boat blind. It's mobile and I can sit any where if someone is in the spot I wanted. I get pissed about others that wrecked my blind when I built a permanent one. I don't care they were usin it but they destroyed all the fast grass which cost me money. I just don't bother with it anymore.
Stage 2 GTR rippin up a 1746 custom Mike Kliebert
Podcast
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:08 am

I hunt right next to guys blinds. Its funny when grown men tell kids that they want to drown them and kick their ass. One phone call to the police ends that. I don't hunt in the blinds but outside them. I hate retards, merlyn, that think they own the spot because they put a blind their. If someone even touches my crap its a simple phone call to the police. I actually record the conversation with my phone in case they try to lie. One question for u guys would u hunt a private island keeping your feet wet? Oh I actually put a blind up and didn't put my name on it, so anyone could hunt it. I didn't care if someone was their before me. Just wanted to hide from the ducks. To bad someone ripped it down. But hunt next to peoples blinds. NO ONE has "their own" spot on public land even tho they may think they do. Hunt where u want!
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby gatorsnagger » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Duck blinds are just like deer blinds. Public land/ fair game. I have my climber out in the county forest right now and I'm not hunting there opening weekend. If someone wants to climb on up in it, I will see their orange and move on to my next spot. As long as they don't steal it there is no reason for me to be mad.
If you can't respect the fact that public belongs to all of us then you need to get a 2nd job and buy yourself 5 acres to hunt on. By the way, if you are a **** to me while I hunt in your blind then I will burn it to the ground the next weekend after I get done using it.
gatorsnagger
hunter

Postby kris brantner » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:11 pm

this is one of my biggest pet peeves. ill scout, build a blind, shoot a pile, and then ill have 5 boats come up to see where i am and leave. next day no matter how early i get out there is always some jack ass sitting in my blind that i built the day before. remember, most of the waterfowlers are morons, they hunt where they see people, NOT where they see ducks.
kris brantner
hunter

Postby marktank » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:06 pm

don't build a blind then kris brantner, hunt out of your boat. your blind is not your spot in PUBLIC land. your a moron for thinking that.
marktank
hunter

Postby kitasdad » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:35 pm

KBrantner, I agree with the fact that a lot of guys just hunt where they see people. It is unfortunate, but that is the way it is on public land. We all need to realize we are public land and understand that that will happen. No need to flip out on a another guy because he got up ridiculously early (not saying you do).
kitasdad
hunter

Postby Makinitrain » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:39 pm

It is unfortunate that you have to deal with people who are to lazy to put the effort in and find a spot, but instead you have to deal with complete jackasses who even if the owner of the blind shows up they still wont hand it over. I've dealt with this too many times where I put my time, effort, and money into improve my hunting conditions, and finding other hunters in my blind. I don't have a problem with people hunting it, but it seems like common sense that if a persons name is on the blind you should let them hunt it if they show up. A solution that I found out that works great is a good set of pad locks can go a long way :thumbsup:
Team 1038
2012- 2013
Bands: 3
WI:
ducks: 147
Geese: 78
Makinitrain
hunter

Postby fallinfowl » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:59 pm

If navagible waters are public, and a duck blind is considered to be first come first serve, then how come we can't we fish off any dock on the lake?

The problem is the DNR and the lack of clarity in their regulations. They provide every blind builder with a false sense of ownership of public land by requiring the hunter who spends the time, money, and effort to label 'their' blind with their contact info. There's no denying the obvious gray area that exists within the existing regulations. The DNR either needs to eliminate the rule of posting your contact info and reinforce public land is available on a first come first serve basis and that if you decide to build a blind it's there for everyone to use. OR, they need to take their existing regulations a step further by allowing the blind builder who spends the time, money, and effort to have exclussive rights to their blind, regardless of when they hunt and how soon they get there.

Until the DNR clears this up, we as waterfowlers will go round and round on this.
fallinfowl
hunter

Next

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting