Hunting etiquette

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Re: Hunting etiquette

Postby abmcp13 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:13 am

fallinfowl wrote:If navagible waters are public, and a duck blind is considered to be first come first serve, then how come we can't we fish off any dock on the lake?

The problem is the DNR and the lack of clarity in their regulations. They provide every blind builder with a false sense of ownership of public land by requiring the hunter who spends the time, money, and effort to label 'their' blind with their contact info. There's no denying the obvious gray area that exists within the existing regulations. The DNR either needs to eliminate the rule of posting your contact info and reinforce public land is available on a first come first serve basis and that if you decide to build a blind it's there for everyone to use. OR, they need to take their existing regulations a step further by allowing the blind builder who spends the time, money, and effort to have exclussive rights to their blind, regardless of when they hunt and how soon they get there.

Until the DNR clears this up, we as waterfowlers will go round and round on this.

The reason you can't fish off someone's dock on a lake is because the dock is built on private property. That person paid to buy that land and owns it, the same principle would apply to a duck blind on private land: you're trespassing. And the reason for tagging the blinds is because all permanent structures may not be built more than 7 days prior to the season and must be removed 7 days after the season ends. If someone violates this the DNR knows who is responsible.
Go afield with a good attitude, Walk with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. -Fred Bear
abmcp13
hunter

Postby DukDukGoose » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:46 am

abmcp13 wrote:
fallinfowl wrote:If navagible waters are public, and a duck blind is considered to be first come first serve, then how come we can't we fish off any dock on the lake?

The problem is the DNR and the lack of clarity in their regulations. They provide every blind builder with a false sense of ownership of public land by requiring the hunter who spends the time, money, and effort to label 'their' blind with their contact info. There's no denying the obvious gray area that exists within the existing regulations. The DNR either needs to eliminate the rule of posting your contact info and reinforce public land is available on a first come first serve basis and that if you decide to build a blind it's there for everyone to use. OR, they need to take their existing regulations a step further by allowing the blind builder who spends the time, money, and effort to have exclussive rights to their blind, regardless of when they hunt and how soon they get there.

Until the DNR clears this up, we as waterfowlers will go round and round on this.

The reason you can't fish off someone's dock on a lake is because the dock is built on private property. That person paid to buy that land and owns it, the same principle would apply to a duck blind on private land: you're trespassing. And the reason for tagging the blinds is because all permanent structures may not be built more than 7 days prior to the season and must be removed 7 days after the season ends. If someone violates this the DNR knows who is responsible.

So i should be able to go into any ice shack on the lake, because its on public water, correct? Regardless of who's it is? Oh man, i'm going to be fishing in luxury this season!
DukDukGoose
hunter

Postby gunrunnerusmc03 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:58 am

W t f does hunting blinds have to do with ice shanties? Look if you're having a hard time figuring out the law contact your local DNR. :rolleyes:
gunrunnerusmc03
hunter

Postby DukDukGoose » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Well everyone is getting all pissy about hunting blinds on a public marshes. In essence, isnt an ice shack pretty much the same thing as a blind? It goes on public water. You need to affix your name to it. Anyone see my point? Regardless. This thread is useless.
DukDukGoose
hunter

Postby gunrunnerusmc03 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:00 pm

DukDukGoose wrote:Well everyone is getting all pissy about hunting blinds on a public marshes. In essence, isnt an ice shack pretty much the same thing as a blind? It goes on public water. You need to affix your name to it. Anyone see my point? Regardless. This thread is useless.

Obviously you're having a hard time with this concept. Look the law was posted verbatim already in this thread. Quote, high-light, and bold for me where it mentions the part that has to do with ice shanties.
gunrunnerusmc03
hunter

Postby DukDukGoose » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:33 pm

Im not asking about the law about ice shanties, yet the concept of public ownership, being that they both are on public land. But why is it, that a duck blind is public domain, yet an ice shanty is not? My response was more geared towards fallinfowl, as he talks about the WDNR having duck hunters going in circles around the issue.

"The doors of enclosed fishing shelters must be readily opened from the outside while occupied; they may be locked only while
not occupied and not in use. The shelter owner’s name and address (in English) must be legibly painted or otherwise affixed on the outside of the fishing shelter with block lettering a minimum of one inch square and in contrasting colors."

The ice fishermen with perm shanties get exclusive rights to there spots- Why don't i?
DukDukGoose
hunter

Postby huntorski » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:46 pm

Illinois had it right.

Back when we could have permanent blinds on the Miss, if the blind owner was there an hour before shooting time the spot was his.

To me that is the best of both worlds. The blind builder is protected but the blind is public if the blind builder doesn't get there early enough.

As a former blind building, if I was hunting that day, I would be there early enough to claim it. And I knew I had a good spot that was well camoed. I spent a lot of time and money building it, I should have some right to it as long as I got there plenty early.

As a current boat blind guy, I would be pissed if a guy shows up late and still thinks his blind is his.

I never had a problem where we had our permanent blind. I know others hunted it, but no one tried when I was in it.
huntorski
Newb

Postby fallinfowl » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:26 pm

[quote="huntorski"]Illinois had it right.

Back when we could have permanent blinds on the Miss, if the blind owner was there an hour before shooting time the spot was his.

To me that is the best of both worlds. The blind builder is protected but the blind is public if the blind builder doesn't get there early enough. ... {quote]

Bingo! The same thing needs to happen in Badgerland.
fallinfowl
hunter

Hunting etiquette

Postby Podcast » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:15 pm

I'll agree with this ^^^
Stage 2 GTR rippin up a 1746 custom Mike Kliebert
Podcast
hunter

Postby alabcalledMaverick » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:26 pm

The ducks bug out and this is what happens.
alabcalledMaverick
hunter

Postby kris brantner » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:11 pm

kitasdad wrote:KBrantner, I agree with the fact that a lot of guys just hunt where they see people. It is unfortunate, but that is the way it is on public land. We all need to realize we are public land and understand that that will happen. No need to flip out on a another guy because he got up ridiculously early (not saying you do).

oh i do! just venting, i know there is nothing i can do about it. i have not and will never do this to another guy. i think we got off topic on this post, is it legal, yes! is it right, no. im not agreeing with the fact that if someone shows up with their name on their blind you should leave, hell no. i build all my blinds out of natural cover. i will NEVER hunt out of a boat. lazy people use boat blinds than almost never blend in. im saying what pisses me off is when people come looking when they hear shooting, see where you are and then game hog your spot the next day. is it legal, yes, is it right? i dont think so. maybe i should just start tearing down all my blinds and rebuidling them the next day, all they are is a big giant "HUNT HERE" sign anyways
Last edited by kris brantner on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
kris brantner
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:25 pm

I'm on my way up boys.....get ready :thumbsup:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby marktank » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:15 pm

lazy people use permanent blinds. smart people use boat blinds cause then they are mobile and can go where the ducks are. your wrong there brantner once again.
marktank
hunter

Postby DukDukGoose » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:04 pm

marktank wrote:lazy people use permanent blinds. smart people use boat blinds cause then they are mobile and can go where the ducks are. your wrong there brantner once again.

DukDukGoose
hunter

Postby kris brantner » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:30 am

kris brantner wrote:
kitasdad wrote:KBrantner, I agree with the fact that a lot of guys just hunt where they see people. It is unfortunate, but that is the way it is on public land. We all need to realize we are public land and understand that that will happen. No need to flip out on a another guy because he got up ridiculously early (not saying you do).

oh i do! just venting, i know there is nothing i can do about it. i havent and will never do this to another guy. i think we got off topic on this post, is it legal, yes! is it right, no. im not agreeing with the fact that if someone shows up with their name on their blind you should leave, hell no. i build all my blinds out of natural cover. i will NEVER hunt out of a boat. lazy people use boat blinds than almost never blend in. im saying what pisses me off is when people come looking when they hear shooting, see where you are and then game hog your spot the next day. is it legal, yes, is it right? i dont think so. maybe i should just start tearing down all my blinds and rebuidling them the next day, all they are is a big giant "HUNT HERE" sign anyways

i dont build permanent blinds. i build blinds out of sticks and grass. hardly permanent. i do this in every spot i hunt. you can be just as mobile doing this as hunting a boat blind, only you will be hid 10x better. trust me, i am out there more in one season than most of you probably are in 5. i see everything. people are lazy and stupid. you name it ive seen it this year. heres one for ya. little pond i like to hunt, public of course. there was a cpl hundred birds on it. all on the shallow crappy mucky end. for 3 days in a row these two guys sat on the south end, with a north wind blowing in their face, not shooting anything while the ducks landed on the other end. the next day i drive by, their boat is sitting plum in the middle of the pond on the north end while these same two idiots are on the south end with the wind in their face. there thinking must have been hmmmmm lets park the boat down there so the ducks wont land down there. the thought never crossed their minds that hey, maybe we should hunt that end? needless to say there hasnt been enough huntable ducks in there to make me want to hunt it again.

ive been down winded at least 10 times this year, most of the time 75 yards or less. im always the first one at the landing yet these people who show up 20 min before shooting time think they can park their boatblinds wherever they want no matter how close to someone else they are.
ive had my blinds trashed before, which is techinally hunter harassment in the rulebooks.
i even got shot as this year when i had to drive through someones spread because they set up and took up the whole travel corridor. needless to say there were a few f bombs thrown around.

case in point. we are all out there to have fun, not to cut each others throat. do some scouting, find some birds and shoot some crap. if someone beats you to a spot, go somewhere else, dont set up 40 yards away. the feds have us all crammed in on top of each other but we can still get away from people if you are willing to do a little work.

sorry, rant over
kris brantner
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:33 pm

alabcalledMaverick wrote:The ducks bug out and this is what happens.

:lol3: :lol3:

I'm too lazy to build blinds on public land, and far too lazy to get cheesed off if I found someone in a blind I built. I guess I'm not cut out for this :rolleyes:

I don't build them on public land, and I don't hunt them that others have built. Although I may have to start, just to see if it belongs to one of these blowhards who thinks I should move because they didn't feel like getting out of bed when I did.

40 posts and some entertainment. Didn't think the WI forum would ever see it.

Good work gentlemen.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:17 pm

DukDukGoose wrote:The ice fishermen with perm shanties get exclusive rights to there spots- Why don't i?

If you want exclusive rights to a hunting spot then build a fully enclosed blind with a door you can lock just like the fishing shanties when not in use. That way nobody can get in when you're not there. problem solved. But also remember that just like there is no law keeping some ****** from rolling up and drilling a hole 3 feet from your ice shanty there's nothing saying if you build a blind someone can't come and set up in a boat right there and hunt "your" spot.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:42 pm

I have seen those locked box blinds in Green Bay. By the next time they come out its a pile of toothpicks :fingerpt:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:36 pm

marktank wrote:lazy people use permanent blinds. smart people use boat blinds cause then they are mobile and can go where the ducks are. your wrong there brantner once again.

True that. :thumbsup:
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby kitasdad » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:43 pm

I'm not sure if I'm impressed or disappointed by how heated this thread has gotten. We are supposed to be the brotherly men of waterfowling. Honor and respect is supposed to be how we are described. We are supposed to scoff at the heathen "black dirt" hunters. I don't care if you build a blind or want to hunt where one is, we should all be gentlemanly to each other. If another guy beats you there, tip your cap. If another guy built a blind, tip your cap. But NEVER expect another hunter to just back away and NEVER treat another hunter like he is less man than you. Speak as if your grandmother is listening. Show some respect. If all of us do that, there will be no problem. Don't be "that guy". And remember, never cook past medium. $h!t gets chewy :fingerpt:
kitasdad
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:15 am

The rules are simple if u build a blind no one can hunt out of it, but u do not own the land around it. Funny how people think that because they put a blind up no one can hunt within 200+ yards of them. Their is NO gray area it is simple if u have some form of education. Blinds on public land are for comfort and hiding not for marking ur spot. Supposedly guys who hunt blinds tell me Im suppose to pick "my" spot build a blind and sit their the whole season. I find people who make blinds on public water tend not be good duck hunters.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:20 am

Heard of people putting spears and barbwire on blinds before, so know one can get in or rip it down. Still someone can sit right up next to it and u can't do a thing!
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Feathers » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:19 pm

We had a situation with this last weekend in NW wisconsin.

Got out to an island first and started building a blind out of natural materials. Some guy shows up about an hour before shooting and starts rolling up on a blind that is only about 60 yards from us. I walk over to let the guy know we are hunting the spot and the blind was a little close to us to set up. I thought maybe he wanted to hunt with my buddy and I and I would have been all for it. Before I even say anything to him he starts going off on me with every third word a four letter starting with a F. Apparently we were in "his spot". After he stopped yelling I asked if this area was public. He responded along the lines of "F U I have been hunting this spot for 20 years and no one has ever dared to take my spot. You guys get out here at 430 and take my spot thats bullsh" and continued on with a lot of words his mom wouldn't have been too proud of. I tried to ask this 40-50 year old guy to settle down and act like an adult and that just heated him up more. He then accused me of taking material off his blind and setting out decoys before legal hours. Both were false. He finally left when I started to walk away from the situation. He ended up setting up down shore and had plenty of shooting so his hissy fit was all for nothing. He was still hunting when we were leaving with our birds and he was either a terrible shot or was poaching because he and his buddy had to be on their third box of shells each.

So the next day we go to the same spot. Keep in mind this is not in "his spot or blind" it is 60 yards down the shore. We show up and our blind has been destroyed by this guy. We got the spot first again so we just started rebuilding the blind and this guy creeps in and sets up in "his blind" 60 yards from us and proceeds to put decoys within range of our blind. We actually moved part of the spread so our decoys didn't get mixed up. This is down wind of us so needless to say he completely screwed our hunt. We would have moved but with this particular wind there wasn't really any options and we didn't want this immature individual to think his bully tactics worked. We didn't say anything because by this point we realize this person is clearly a child and there is no reasoning with them at this point. Most of his decoys weren't even set in range so he proceeded to cripple far shots at birds landing in his spread. He lost more birds than he retrieved. He also had about a half dozen decs float into our spread so he spent a good 15 minutes of prime time retrieving his decoys 30 yards in front of us out of our spread.

So this weekend we are just going to go sit in "his spot" since trying to have some ettiquete did not work with this tard. I plan to video tape his outburst and send it to a CO and maybe I will post it on here if it is a good one.

Personally I think permanent blinds cause more trouble than they are worth and we would have less conflicts from yahoos like this guy if we just outlawed them.

If the guy that I am talking about happens to be on this forum, sir you need to grow up and relax. Let's not forget these are just ducks.

Happy hunting this weekend boys! Lots of birds around if you can find open water.
Feathers
hunter

Postby gunrunnerusmc03 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Usually I'm a mind your own business kind of guy, but it sounds like you need to contact a warden in regards to Mr Manbaby.
gunrunnerusmc03
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Mr. Manbaby hahaha :biggrin:
teamoutlaw
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting