decoy distance

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

decoy distance

Postby Robert Becherer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:11 pm

I have a question and I think it may have something to do with why birds are work our decoys but not landing.How far away from your blind to you set your decoys.My son and I have noticed that ours seem rather close to the cattails.It's hard to determine how close your in the dark.I will take my laser range finder next time.I think 15yrds should be about right and the decoys spread apart in two groups with a landing zone in the middle.Another consideration we thought of was ,Our mojo's were running all the time,even when the birds were almost feet down.I order two timers from Mack's Prairie Wings when I got home.
Robert Becherer
hunter

Re: decoy distance

Postby War Wagon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:07 pm

I hope you ordered the remote with just the on/off feature. That is the best one, easy to install and easy to use. The pulss style in a hurry can be a pain in the A.. to use. IMO :thumbsup:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:30 pm

Yeah on/off works great click it as soon as you seem them moving. I put my decoys 15 yards as well, I leave about 30 yards between the decoys, which allows a larger group of birds more confident in landing quicker rather than circling and getting frusterated and moving on
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Robert Becherer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:35 pm

The timers I ordered are the Mojo timers.The just plug right into the exsisting wiring.They were about 20 bucks apiece.We do have a third Mojo that we put in a timer/with remote but after several years of use ,It's not working right now.Need to take the time to diagnose the problem
Robert Becherer
hunter

Postby Robert Becherer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:43 pm

Thanks wanapasaki. That what I was thinking.We had discussed the last year but sometimes kids don't want to listen to their parents because after all,We don't know anything. :wink: EVEN THOUGH HE'S 38 YEARS OLD.
Robert Becherer
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:49 pm

You might be over doing it with the mojo's I'd put one in the middle of one of your 2 spreads. Definitely give a girth for landing and 30 yards usually works for me. Think of it this way.. Do you want to park park your truck in a compact car spot, or in a standard spot? lol. Hoped I help
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Robert Becherer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:40 pm

wanapasaki wrote:You might be over doing it with the mojo's I'd put one in the middle of one of your 2 spreads. Definitely give a girth for landing and 30 yards usually works for me. Think of it this way.. Do you want to park park your truck in a compact car spot, or in a standard spot? lol. Hoped I help

Yes.That helps alot.Any suggestions are welcome.Thank you.I will pass it on to my son. :thumbsup:
We had one flying Mojo at the far right on the right side group,then the landing zone and then a floating Mojo in the middle of the left group.The birds were coming left to right.I don't know if it was a combination of the small landing zone or too tight of a group or they didn't want to land over a moving decoy.My personal feeling is,we need to be using a jerk cord than Mojos
Robert Becherer
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:26 pm

I totally agree with you, I like the jerk cord method myself :beer:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby RookieJ » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:35 am

When I throw out my decoys I make a big U or V reaching out about as far as I can make my decoys work (usually around 30-40 yards) and leave a nice big pocket in the middle. I also throw a sort of single file line right close to the bank. I have experimented with a mojo, a few mojos, jerk cord, wobbly feeder ducks and have found the easiest, effective technique is just throwing one mojo on the bottom edge (close to the blind) of the landing zone. If the water is dead calm I'll throw my wobbling ducks out around the points and if I still have some extra time I'll throw a jerk cord out there but for me that always seems to take a bit more work. My first season I tried loading up on the mojos and don't think more is better with them.

At this point of the season I think a large spread regardless of mojo or jerk string is the key. Make them birds on the travel think this is the place to be.
There will be blood!
RookieJ
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting