Need recomendatons on guides for cans

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Need recomendatons on guides for cans

Postby SouthernIllinoishunter » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:40 am

Me, my brother, and dad are palnning on going on a guided hunt on the MI river for canvasbacks, buffleheads, and goldeneyes, as we dont have them around down here, and would like to know some good dependable guide services that will almost gurantee you some shoots at these birds

guides we have looked at:
Dabblers & Divers
Hideaway Hollow

other recomendations appreciated and also what would be a good time to go up that way to have an increased chance at some full plumed cans GEs and buffs?
SouthernIllinoishunter
hunter

Re: Need recomendatons on guides for cans

Postby schumacherm » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:59 am

heres another one to look into, they guide on lake superior and a portion of the mississippi river. From all the videos they have on youtube they look like they should be pretty reliable. http://www.chasingfeatherswaterfowling.com/
schumacherm
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:09 am

Hide Away Hollow, they are all booked tho. U need to make a reservation really early. Doubt anyone has open spots this season and next season might be pretty much full too.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby SouthernIllinoishunter » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:31 pm

well yeah this wasnt going to be a trip for this season most likely next season my dad will take us as a gift if you will since ill be graduating high school and my brother will be coming into high school
SouthernIllinoishunter
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:17 pm

you should do a 2 day hunt and hunt lake michigan. coastal wisconsin outfitters can get you on scoters and old squaw sea ducks and ge's buffies, cans, bluebills, etc.... why not go where you can shoot some sea ducks and regular divers.

tony toye big river guide service is another option on the river and also ragged reef outfitters is another on lake mich.

i would first go with coastal wisconsin outfittes. I had a bad experience with hideaway hollow outfitters
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby gunrunnerusmc03 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:17 am

Some buddies and I are going out with Dabblers and Divers next weekend. I'll try to remember to reply with a review about his outfit.
gunrunnerusmc03
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:20 pm

Team Outlaw I have heard a whole lot of bad stuff about Tony Toye, lets not even get started. He wants to shoot cans too. His best bet is going to be hiring a guide on Pool 9 over Thanksgiving. Im sure you kill some cans on the Great Lakes but not even close to what you can kill on the Mississippi. What was your bad experience with Hideaway Hollo? Ive never heard of anyone having any problems with them.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:25 pm

it's alot to type search HHO on here it's been talked about a couple times. yeah more cans on the river but you can still kill the same amount.

I dont know anything about toye's guide service but he is well respected on the other site and I have heard good things.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby twelver » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:15 pm

[quote="WIDrakeKiller"]Team Outlaw I have heard a whole lot of bad stuff about Tony Toye, lets not even get started.

What is all this bad stuff you hear?? I hunt with Tony Toye a couple times a year and don't have any problems with him!! He is probably one of the most knowledgable guys out there when it comes to duck hunting!! He is like a machine out on the river.
twelver
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:57 am

I have heard from multiple people that if he wants to hunt where u are hunting he will throw a fit. Just saying what I have heard from multiple people. Of course he's not gonna act like this in front of a client. He shoots birds, no doubt about that, but heard too many things about him.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:03 am

Team Outlaw lets hear ur bad experience b/c in a previous post on another forum u said u had a bad experience. Wondering if u would be kind and share it with us. Thanks!
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Robert plus » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:46 am

i just came back from pool 9 this past weekend 1000"s of cans we had hide away hollow outfitters , we had a group of 4 going only 3 were able to make it the fourth couldn't go due to medical reasons Matt from hide away hollow gave a full refund to him also we didn't have a guided hunt the second day either in which we got a free hunt , there were tens of thousands of birds there the weather did not want to cooperate with us too nice the birds just want to sit in the middle and do nothing all day but i would highly recommend Hide away very easy going and professional
Robert plus
hunter

Postby SNOTS » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Lake Michigan is more reliable hunt for divers than Pool 9! The Big Water Outdoor guys are as good as it gets over there. They typically run the bay side of Door County.

Anyone can shoot divers sitting in a huge blind boat rig. Not everyone can shoot em out of a layout boat.
SNOTS
hunter

Postby mallardhead » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:55 pm

look-up Flyway Fowling Guide service.I've hunted with Todd 8 days over the last 4 years. He knows the river like the back of his hand.He owns the only hotel in Ferryville,and he's very good at reading and calling ducks.Cans are his specialty. He usually puts out a 50/50 spread of cans/puddlers. The guy cooks-up one hell of a good breakfast and the NEW boat is pretty sweet,dual modified pro-drives. Plus he's all about YOUR hunting experience. Only bad thing is he usually has a 3 yr. waiting list,give him a call and get on it.
mallardhead
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting