Mississippi pool 9

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Mississippi pool 9

Postby Robert plus » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:36 am

This past weekend the 17 and 18 of November I had the chance to head out to famous pool 9 for cans , it was my first time out there so we played it safe and hired a guide the weather didn't want to cooperate with us the first day the fog was something out of a horror movie but we did have birds come into us i think we ended up with 3 greenheads , 3 buffleheads , 3 eyes , gadwell and a bluebill . the second day the birds were a mile high and didn't want any thing to do with the decoys . thats hunting right some days you can't them out of your decoys and some days they won't even come within 300 yards of them . although we did have a hen mallard commit into us needless to say she ended up in the boat .

now heres my question to people who freelance there we launched south of ferryville by the refuge next year would it pay to try the marshes by ferryville also or just keep by the refuge also with the guide he mixed the diver and puddlers decoys together , i've never scene that before i always keep mallards and other puddlers decoys in and divers out but is the pool different ? thanks for your advice , btw next year when i do go there again i am NOt on of these a**holes who sky blast or won't set up on top of another group of hunters i was raised better than that . I don't understand people who do that . thanks again
Robert plus
hunter

Re: Mississippi pool 9

Postby send the dog » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:34 pm

When I organize my one diver hunt for the year, I ask that everyone bring every decoy that they have available. Puddlers, divers, geese, and motion, everything goes. The last time I got the gang together, there were 10 of us, over 450 decoys, and we shot 48 birds (mixed bag of everything, including my can for the wall). Then we all came back to my place and attempted to outdrink one-another, great time. So, yes, we mixed our puddler and diver decoys.
send the dog
hunter

Postby PatCies83 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:49 pm

send the dog wrote:When I organize my one diver hunt for the year, I ask that everyone bring every decoy that they have available. Puddlers, divers, geese, and motion, everything goes. The last time I got the gang together, there were 10 of us, over 450 decoys, and we shot 48 birds (mixed bag of everything, including my can for the wall). Then we all came back to my place and attempted to outdrink one-another, great time. So, yes, we mixed our puddler and diver decoys.

What kind of boat do you run to carry 450 decoys pr do you run two or three boats?
PatCies83
hunter

Postby send the dog » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:29 pm

We had 5 boats that were pretty much packed to the gills with decoys, dogs, and gear.
send the dog
hunter

Postby recker » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:26 am

To anyone who already is or is going on the river today please be safe. That is some big water and no duck is worth risking your life for! I will be at it today and will much less wind may not be as good but certainly will make my wife feel better I am not out in a storm.
recker
hunter

Postby recker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:28 pm

Not sure how you guys are doing on the lower pools but my pool has been awful. Only stale mallards around with no divers. I can get out two more days but it may not be worth it with 50's all weekend and no new birds around. Very poor year in my area.
recker
hunter

Postby recker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:51 am

How was the hunting on pool 9 the last few weeks? Pool 5 was terrible and never saw any divers.
recker
hunter

Postby schumacherm » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:31 pm

pool 11 was real on and off for the last 3 weeks of the season, a lot of geese but not that many ducks, we really didn't see to many divers at all. On thursday I saw a flock of what looked to be either buffleheads or goldeneyes but that was it.
schumacherm
hunter

Postby SNOTS » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:53 pm

Pool 9 was terrible all year. Been getting worse every year.
SNOTS
hunter

Postby recker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:17 pm

SNOTS wrote:Pool 9 was terrible all year. Been getting worse every year.

I am sure all the articles in DU, Wildfowl, etc. have made pool 9 an absolute zoo all year long. Pool 5 was great up until 2009 when they (thanks feds) changed the refuge lines at pool 4 basically making that area a refuge with limited hunting. Thats when the flood gates opened. Pressure slowly increased and now this year as at least double, maybe sometimes triple what it used to be. You can have some good days if you hit is right after new birds arrive or on a weather day. If not it it now full of skybusters who make sure any duck under 100 yards gets a real quick education. You used to be able to kick lots of birds out of the public areas but those days are gone as birds are pressured nonstop now. I think the final straw for me was watching a group of 5 guys shoot at anything under 110 yards. They all shot three times everytime and sailed ducks way out that I am sure were never retrieved. It was really a sick display of watching killers and not hunters. Since the skybusters are not leaving it is time for me to go back and hunt the potholes of western mn like I used to. It may not always be good but I will be alone and somebody else will not be dictating if a bird comes into me or not.

It was certainly a terrible year but I think it made my realize what a hunt is really about. Time to change things up!
Happy holidays to all!
recker
hunter

Postby kris brantner » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:09 pm

recker , i hunt pools 4 and 5 and cant agree more. there are more birds in those pools now, but very limited places to hunt them as most of what we got taken away is prime habitat and what we got in return are 10 ft deep sloughs. they wonder why licence sales continue to decline and why hunter crowding is the biggest complaint. look at pool 5. how many damn refuges do you need on one pool? weaver should be enough, but no you have sand run, down to minneska, and just recently they took spring lake. spring lake is a joke, hardly any birds use it and that could hold at least another 3 or 4 groups. big lake on pool 4 was awesome, could get away from people. i went out the thurs afternoon before the gun deer season, and counted 23 groups between nelson and alma, and thats just what i seen. what a joke
kris brantner
hunter

Postby recker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:07 pm

The spring lake refuge is a joke. I look at the counts each week and it never held more then like 25 birds at most. Pool 4 is a complete joke. There is no reason for the divers to leave the big lake and head in the woods where you are allowed to hunt. They might as well make pool 4 all refuge because thats really what it is now.
recker
hunter

Postby smokinquack4 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:32 am

Pool 9 , 8, 7 have been fantastic. I don't not understand the zoo or crowds that everyone talks about. More birds land on pool 9 according to the usfw in the last 5 years than the previous. People have the entire river and back water to hunt and they complain about crowds. The Mississippi river is probably the best least pressured public hunting in the Midwest. 380k canvasback and people are upset, its funny and amusing.
smokinquack4
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting