Change Season Dates?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Change Season Dates?

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:59 am

Wondering if any of u guys would like to see season dates changed in WI. Seems like they could be pushed back a little bit to me. Would be cool if we had a christmas goose hunt, even if its all iced up who cares, nice to have the option. Thoughts
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Re: Change Season Dates?

Postby bagoduckslyr » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:18 am

I'd love to still be hunting ducks up until Christmas (or close to it). I think the DNR should give us 2 more week long splits in the season and extend the end date into late December. The last few years mid October to early November have been garbage for hunting anyways.
bagoduckslyr
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:38 am

I'm not asking for the whole month of december, but another 10 days would be alright. I feel bad for the people who want to put their time in during firearm deer season. Some people who just want to put "a deer" in the freezer have to put a lot more hours in than they used to, and it chews up what little duck season they have left. A couple more weekends wouldn't bother me. With the restructuring that took place this year, I'd say any more changes are probably a good while off.

Look at how many states are just getting underway, and whose season will run well into January.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Richie27 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:17 pm

I'd love to be able to shoot birds in late December. IMO, the duck season closes way to early especially in the southern zone. Why bother with skeeters in late September early October when you could shoot late season birds. An opener in September is too early.
Richie27
hunter

Change Season Dates?

Postby LJensen » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:23 pm

I agree. Although cant push it too far back. I think for the southern zone season should start first weekend in October, and there should be a two week break. That gets you the extra 10 days or so in December
LJensen
hunter

Postby jlee28 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:28 pm

i thought the season started too early this year for the southern zone. the week right after the archery deer opener. weather was still warm and didn't see much anyways. they need the opener back to early/mid october like a couple of years ago.
jlee28
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:07 pm

I to wish it would open later. The presure from the people to get to hunt when its nice out is greater than the hunters that want to hunt in the cold. I'm seeing some of the biggest flocks of mallards right now and I got 2 more days to hunt them. Contact James Christopoulos at the Wis DNR and tell him how you feel.
james.christopoulos@wisconsin.gov
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:26 pm

If you look at the proportion of the season that states down south get to to tangle with big flights of northern ducks, and the proportion of the season that WI gets to, its pretty bad. Not that WI is ever overrun with migrators, but all we can do is hope for early flights, not count on the main migration like others get to.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:05 pm

I wish the hunter could pick the date he would like to start the season. Maybe for you, you like to shoot in Sept, Great..I would like a later season Start on Oct 15th. Just like turkey seasons pick you time that works for you. If guys like me that pick a later time get pounded with snow and cold, so be it. I will take that chance.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby RookieJ » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:46 pm

I think they need to split the state up into a northern, middle and southern zone. Didn't get the point of the Mississippi zone this year. I am getting tired of the migration and hunting really picking up and then the season ends.
There will be blood!
RookieJ
hunter

Postby HiZ » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:20 pm

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!
What do we do as hunters? Do we have to storm the gates of Madison to have ears upon us?
Can we call, create petitions, make a movement?

I would like to see two seasons!

Right now we are on the last day Dec 2. 2012 and on Winnebago just getting into some real #'s

The birds are on the fields hard and also in MASS numbers on the big lake, I like the idea of two hunts.
Locals are all smart and with the youth hunt that starts the weekend before the opener, you may have a prime scouted spot that is never buzzed because it was shot up early.
We have NOT seen many non local/migration #'s here until about a month ago (end of Oct)
Plus the wasted time that I'm guessing quite a few of us have when deer hunting. One might as well cut 20+ days out of pointing the barrel skyward.

So, if you choose and are an avid hunter that doesn't mind 35 deg water and ice, you could start your season later.
-I like this idea, I'm also an avid boater so that would be appealing to me as I don't have to choose boating or ducks on those weekend before October when it's nice out in the fall.
How about two season dates/Two licenses - let's face it the DNR is looking for revenue and may like that pitch!
-You could purchase an early season license and hunt the 60 day season, then for a Fair and Set amount you could hunt another 20 days~ this would put you right into the Christmas spirit. the additional licenses will support funding and extra "needed" wardens out there to enforce regulations and also look nice on paper for the Bean counters Down stairs.

And while we are on the subject for additional seasons, why not a spring migration hunt?
I understand that other states do this and understand the bucks are going to make more ducks.
I am curious to why not spring season? I'd do it! Ice is just letting up it's getting warm and why not
Cooped up in the house or a warm area for the cold season - let's go blast?

Please feel free to post your views and thoughts on all that I have to say :welcome:
HiZ
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:02 pm

Federal law that duck season can only last a total of 60 days. Everyone email this guy too. U cant complain unless u do something about it.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby wackem' n stackem' » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:32 pm

i would love a mid October opener and be able to hunt late December or early January. There has been talk of a sea duck season that would go into January but havent heard much on it lately.
wackem' n stackem'
hunter

Postby HiZ » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:50 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Federal law that duck season can only last a total of 60 days. Everyone email this guy too. U cant complain unless u do something about it.

Really!
Well I did not know that at all - so what do we do?
And who are we emailing here?
I'm trying to get facts straight to make motion on this ~ not complaining
HiZ
hunter

Postby HiZ » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:53 pm

War Wagon wrote:I to wish it would open later. The presure from the people to get to hunt when its nice out is greater than the hunters that want to hunt in the cold.
james.christopoulos@wisconsin.gov

Ah, this guy!
HiZ
hunter

Postby Goose Doctors » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:03 pm

it'd be great if it was extended dill atleast Christmas, shot my last mallard of the year today and I couldn't even find him due to the river current, was pretty sad my last one of the year I couldn't find
Goose Doctors
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:28 pm

WHY WHY WHY.... Does the Wis DNR end the Goose season on a Friday.. nno!: ... How about ending it on a Sunday, :clapping: "Thank you Wis DNR" :clapping:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby schumacherm » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:59 pm

War Wagon wrote:WHY WHY WHY.... Does the Wis DNR end the Goose season on a Friday.. nno!: ... How about ending it on a Sunday, :clapping: "Thank you Wis DNR" :clapping:

I agree completely with this, they must be thinking the world is going to end on the 21st so why make the season longer :lol3: but also, If all these theories of global warming and what not going around, why don't they push the season back, idk about you but 50 degrees and sunny on dec. 2nd doesn't seem like the way to end a duck season
schumacherm
hunter

Postby HiZ » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:01 pm

schumacherm wrote:
War Wagon wrote:WHY WHY WHY.... Does the Wis DNR end the Goose season on a Friday.. nno!: ... How about ending it on a Sunday, :clapping: "Thank you Wis DNR" :clapping:

I agree completely with this, they must be thinking the world is going to end on the 21st so why make the season longer :lol3: but also, If all these theories of global warming and what not going around, why don't they push the season back, idk about you but 50 degrees and sunny on dec. 2nd doesn't seem like the way to end a duck season

Today was garbage!
But nice if you were a boater :rolleyes:
HiZ
hunter

Postby JustinD » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:41 pm

My brother in law was out last Thursday on the East side of Green Bay near Dykesville and he said it was the first time he saw any mallards out by him, and I guess there were just piles of them. He had been shooting quite a few buffies and redheads the last month or so, but never saw any mallards. Seems like, for him anyway, the season should be just starting if you want to target the puddlers out where he is.
Underradar wrote:Cowards and queers. Worse, cat-lovers.

I shoot cats, if I can't run over them in my jeep first. If I do run over them, I shoot them anyway.

The Brother Hood of S.P.A.M.
S. society for the
P. proliferation of
A. alcoholic
M. meandering
JustinD
hunter

Location: About 4 blocks away from the legendary LAMBEAU FIELD, WI

Postby kris brantner » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:08 pm

some good replys, some stupid. they cant please everyone, and they dont want to. they want the licence sales which means early season hunters. what i do not get, is why they made the mississippi a special zone, and opened it earlier, not later. why not run the entire southern zone like that, or let the miss open the same as the southern zone and have the split go the same. guys remember, we have had some warm past few years. two years ago everything was locked solid by the end of duck season. would i rather take the chance of locked up water than swatting skeeters, hell yeah, but the dnr is going to side with the masses, not the excpetions like us.
kris brantner
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:15 pm

The last 2 weeks were the best shooting for the REALY big mallards. If you were lucky enough to harvest some of these monsters it was a year to remember. They are still here and I cant shoot no more :lame:
Attachments
DSCN2905.JPG
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Makinitrain » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:52 am

It would be nice to see something change with the WI season, it would be nice if we had an early teal/wood duck season and have a two or three week break, and then start the regular duck season.
Team 1038
2012- 2013
Bands: 3
WI:
ducks: 147
Geese: 78
Makinitrain
hunter

Postby schumacherm » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:29 am

I think a break even longer than 2 to 3 weeks would be better. the middle of october to mid november is really a lull in the action, most of the birds around at that time are local birds. if we really wanted a teal/ woodie season we would need to do something like what louisiana or mississippi and the other southern states do. They have an early teal season that started earlier than ours and then their regular duck season ends after ours. Now does that make any sense to you that their teal season starts before ours? if say 70 percent of the teal are already down their by the time our season even starts, why do we even have an early season. All we do is shoot out the remaining 30 percent of the ducks that are here and then we dont get any new birds until November it seems. Just spit ballin here but I think that in order to get the revenue the state wants, our early goose season should also be the start of a early teal season and only have it last 2 weeks, and then we have a break until say the last weekend in october or first weekend in november? which would allow the season to go another 2 weeks longer into december.

Just ranting and raving here but thats what this past season seemed like, because just now are we starting to see a big push of migrators and we cant shoot at them, all we can do is smile and wave at them as they fly by. :fingerhead:
schumacherm
hunter

Postby recker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:47 am

I dont they will start it much later because they need the license sales from the early season guys who only hunt one or two weekends. That being said I think one thing people are forgetting is 60 day seasons are NOT guaranteed. We have had them for a a long time but before had 45 and even 30 day seasons. There will come a point where we dont get a 60 day season and with the drought right now and crp being plowed up like crazy in the dakotas it may not be too far off(even next season).Unless the dakotas get a ton of snow I dont think breeding will be good next year from what I saw on my trip in October.If we get a 45 day season I doubt we will be hunting until december unless they really give us a long split.

The one thing that stinks is we end and the other states are just getting started and have two months left.
recker
hunter

Next

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting