Change Season Dates?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Re: Change Season Dates?

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Not saying I've done the research, but I doubt pushing the season start date back would cause "fair-weather" October hunters to hang up their spurs all together. I doubt there would even be sore feelings about it. I don't like freezing my grapes off. But bamly duckless days are still worse.

I just don't like how the current season structure makes Wisconsin sportsmen pick one or the other. The bulk of our duck season, and the best times to be on the water, are during the whitetail rut and the firearm deer seaon. Once those are concluded, public areas see far less pressure from late season deer hunters, and it would be perfect if waterfowl hunters could take advatage of that. Not to mention all of the other hunting seasons running during that time. Half of our duck season sees marginal activity (and those are generous adjectives) and it overlaps a time when there are so many other things to do. I don't like it.

On another note. I would vote early goose out of exisitance if we could have 3 birds a day for the rest of the season. I want to empty that gun.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Reeba » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:15 pm

This comment is only for the northern zone and not meant to express an opinion one way or another on the other zones. IMHO the season dates for the north were about right this year. The reason being that we usually freeze up by Dec. This year on the last day (Nov. 25) all of the small lakes were frozen over. On most of the large lakes, the bays and boat landings were frozen. Even the majority of the rivers were frozen. Historically, the die hard ice anglers look to start the weekend after Thanksgiving. So as much as I enjoy late season hunting it would be counterproductive to try to lengthen the season most years. Also our early season is generally good. The bwt generally don't stick around long. And the wood duck hunting is generally good through mid October. If we get cold weather that drives the woodies out late Oct., it also brings in new ducks. Just my 2 cents and only in reference to the northern zone.
Reeba
hunter

Postby Labhuntr » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:00 pm

I will agree with the previous post about things being frozen by Decemebr. The problem was this year we did not get the push until after season closed AGAIN!! I like the split they put in for the northern zone this year, I just wish they would not have done it the first week in November rather I would like to see it in early October. We got lucky and the push did not come during the split but if we have a cold fall next year we could miss the start of the push. It is a dammed if you do dammed if you don't situation up here I duck hunted all the way through deer season this year and dit was terrible as was the whole year, but last week and this week I have seen more activity around here than I did all season.
If I'm burning powder, the ducks are falling!
Labhuntr
hunter

Postby UWLAX QuackerStackers » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:03 am

It seems to me a lot of our problems here in Wisconsin and the upper midwest could be solved if the U.S. fish and wildlife service would give us on the Miss Flyway more than 60 days of hunting. From the feds: This year they gave "74 days of hunting on the Central Flyway (with an additional 23 days in the High Plains areas), and 107 days in the Pacific Flyway." Obviously this is easier said then done and lots of considerations go into these season lengths, but an extra 7 days even would make a heck of difference. Can't even imagine the flexibility that an extra 14 would create :beer:
UWLAX QuackerStackers
Group of addicted responsible student-hunters
GPA? You mean our DKA (duck kill average)
driving an anti-mud loving grizzly with a Mudbuddy SD
UWLAX QuackerStackers
hunter

Location: La Crosse- Fall,Winter,Spring. Rural Waukesha County- Summer

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:38 am

Legally u can only have a 60 Day duck season not sure what ur getting at? Im pretty sure thats a federal rule?
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Whackndstack6 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:00 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Legally u can only have a 60 Day duck season not sure what ur getting at? Im pretty sure thats a federal rule?

I think he is getting at give us more days. What constitutes them boys out west getting a substantial amount more days than us? I think we should start later. We do get an early goose trip your trigger on them suckers for two weeks. Go fishing, shoot some more clays, twiddle your thumbs but come mid october we start a whackn and stackn again. Since we must have a split... why not split late oct, some prime bowhunting time, and a time where alls we do is scratch our arses hoping to pick off a smart local greenhead anyways. I am like all the other die hards, I dont mind poppin a hole in the ice to shoot some plump mallards, fully plumed gadwall, pinnys, and widgeon and get some migrating Canadas in the fields.

Alls im saying is we need some change up in Wi because ending the season on a 50 degree clear day is absolute crap! Watching them ducks pour in weeks after... Well :beer: to the DNR...
Whackndstack6
hunter

Postby UWLAX QuackerStackers » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:45 am

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Legally u can only have a 60 Day duck season not sure what ur getting at? Im pretty sure thats a federal rule?

I too thought the same however this only applies to the Mississippi flyway and the Atlantic flyway. The other flyways I mentioned per federal regs state they are allowed more days.
http://us.vocuspr.com/Newsroom/Query.as ... Cache=True
UWLAX QuackerStackers
Group of addicted responsible student-hunters
GPA? You mean our DKA (duck kill average)
driving an anti-mud loving grizzly with a Mudbuddy SD
UWLAX QuackerStackers
hunter

Location: La Crosse- Fall,Winter,Spring. Rural Waukesha County- Summer

Postby send the dog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:11 pm

UWLAX QuackerStackers wrote:

I too thought the same however this only applies to the Mississippi flyway and the Atlantic flyway. The other flyways I mentioned per federal regs state they are allowed more days.
http://us.vocuspr.com/Newsroom/Query.as ... Cache=True

Well, now i'm pissed!!!!
send the dog
hunter

Postby WiHonker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:48 am

My understanding is that they get more days due to having a significantly lower number of hunters.
WiHonker
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Minn has the most Duck hunters in the flyway, They can shoot 3 Canadian Geese a day.... :mad: We in the Great State Of Wisconsin can shoot 2 ! :mad: That :no: on the number of Hunters idea.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:56 pm

War Wagon wrote:Minn has the most Duck hunters in the flyway, They can shoot 3 Canadian Geese a day.... :mad: We in the Great State Of Wisconsin can shoot 2 ! :mad: That :no: on the number of Hunters idea.

It has to do with the number of geese shot in Wisconsin, hence the reporting the geese. My understanding is that if more birds are shot, it means the geese can support a 3 per day limit. Read that somewhere but don't remember where.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:29 am

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:It has to do with the number of geese shot in Wisconsin, hence the reporting the geese. My understanding is that if more birds are shot, it means the geese can support a 3 per day limit. Read that somewhere but don't remember where.

I hope thats not how they do it.

In order to give the total kill any meaning it has to be weighed against effort.

Since they find all that in the HIP survey, I hope they actually use it.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:45 pm

Bill Herian wrote:
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:It has to do with the number of geese shot in Wisconsin, hence the reporting the geese. My understanding is that if more birds are shot, it means the geese can support a 3 per day limit. Read that somewhere but don't remember where.

I hope thats not how they do it.

In order to give the total kill any meaning it has to be weighed against effort.

Since they find all that in the HIP survey, I hope they actually use it.

That's what I heard or maybe read? Don't take my word for it. I would be curious if a game warden had more info on it.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby WiHonker » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:47 am

Taken directly from the USFWS website:

"The purpose of annual hunting regulations is to keep harvests at levels compatible with a population's ability to maintain itself. The regulatory tools that exist to do this are framework regulations and special regulations. Framework regulations are the foundation of annual regulations and consist of the outside dates for opening and closing seasons, season length, daily bag and possession limits, and shooting hours. Although the earliest and latest dates within which states may hold hunting seasons are set by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, in practice most frameworks dates have been more restrictive; historically, dates close to October 1 through January 20. Under the Act, season lengths may not exceed 107 days. In practice, season lengths have fluctuated with bird abundance. Traditionally, season lengths have varied by Flyway, with seasons being the longest in the Pacific Flyway and the shortest in the Atlantic Flyway, reflecting differences in the abundance of birds, number of hunters, and other factors. The number of birds of a species or group that can be harvested in a day is defined as the daily bag limit. Traditionally, bag limits have been large for birds that are highly productive, very abundant, short-lived, or lightly hunted. Flyway differences exist, with daily bag limit being most liberal in the Pacific Flyway and most restrictive in the Atlantic Flyway, for the same reasons that the season lengths differ. Shooting hours limit the time of day when migratory birds may be harvested, and have rarely been changed except when hunting seasons have become very restrictive. Since 1918, one-half hour before sunrise to sunset has been the traditional shooting hours.

Special regulations consist of framework regulations that are applied on a small scale. These consist of split seasons, zones, and special seasons. States have been allowed to divide their hunting period for most species and groups of birds into 2 or sometimes 3 nonconsecutive segments in order to take advantage of species-specific peaks of abundance. Zoning is the establishment of independent seasons in 2 or more areas (zones) within a state for the purpose of providing more equitable distribution of harvest opportunity for hunters throughout the state. Generally, special seasons focus on those species considered to be more lightly utilized than others. Special seasons are usually, but not always, in addition to the regular season. Special seasons currently exist for some teal, wood duck, sea duck, and resident Canada goose populations.

There are a number of other regulatory tools. Closed seasons occur when a species' abundance is insufficient to withstand harvest. For example, canvasback seasons, which currently are open, have been closed in the recent past. Permits are effective regulatory mechanisms that allow hunters to take a limited number of birds of a certain species. Recent examples of the use of permits have been with some Canada goose populations and with tundra swans. Quotas are defined as predetermined apportionments of a limited resource. Recent examples of quotas have been with some Canada goose and sandhill crane populations.

Harvest regulations are published annually in the Federal Register; opportunity for public comment is part of the regulatory process."
WiHonker
hunter

Postby send the dog » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Be very careful believing anything the USFWS, DNR, or any other governmental agency might have to say about any of this. Comparitively speaking, Minnesota has no early register for turkeys, no calling in goose kills, no back-tags required for deer hunting, allow only 10 panfish per day, I believe they can harvest 2 hen mallards a day,No-dak can shoot swans and cranes, and don't even get me started on the whole wolf thing. I have a tendency to think that some of these goofy regs have more to do with revenue than they have to do with managing a certain species.
send the dog
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:40 am

For Southern Zone have it start the last weekend in September and run for 11 days( weekend week and then weekend) then have it not start back up until the last weekend in october. Hunting mid october sucks anways this would give us another week or so atleast.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby schumacherm » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:57 am

this idea i like^^^ Also take away the mississippi zone and just make it the same as the southern zone, they both end the same time anyways...
schumacherm
hunter

Postby jarod1076 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:39 pm

This has nothing to with the season dates but I wouldn't mind getting rid of the 0900 start time on opening day

Jarod
jarod1076
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:25 am

I agree, that start time at 9:00 am is dumb. :mad: They count that day as one full day of hunting. :no:
Things have changed from years past, and it's time to open it up at the normal time,1/2 hr before sunrise and stop screwing us out of the best time to hunt. How would 600,000 deer hunters like it if the Wis DNR made opening day was at 9:00 am ??? This is a Wis DNR regulation, not U.S.F.W. regulation.... I hate the Wis DNR . They are NOT a friend to the Hunter in my book.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby send the dog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:56 am

9:00? Hell, I remember when it was a noon opener. 9 is pretty awesome compared to that. That's not sayin that I wouldn't like the 1/2 hour before sunrise thing.
send the dog
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:45 pm

Yes the Noon opener was worse. Did that for years and years, but realy ? do we have to open it up at 9:00 am anymore ? Somebody tell me WHY ?
War Wagon
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Because the DNR is a joke. Almost every hunter I know hates them and I do to. One time we were goose hunting and of cousre my freind who only deer hunts wanted to go so I said sure just get all ur licenses. Well of course he was a dumb ass and only got an early season permit thinking u only needed the stamps to hunt ducks. Well of course we ended up huntig an area that was closed to waterfowl hunting after noon. The sign was covered up by grass and was about 8"x 6". He told us to go read it and we honestly read it for like 5 minutes to understand a few oddly worded sentances. We are all fairly smart and do good in school too. Well he ended getting a $180 ticket. Why not give him the option to buy the stampd then prove he bought them within a certain number of days. This was his first time waterfowl hunting and it was and is his responsibility but this is crap that makes people hate the DNR. Then the fact that they shot every doe in parts of WI. They really are bad at connecting to hunters and seem to do whatever they want too. Screw em
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Almost A Fox » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:17 pm

Here is the problem. Our DNR revolves around deer hunting. I went to the spring hearings last year to push for this exact thing (a 2-3 week split). They have a chart that shows the number of harvested birds per week. The first week is the highest harvest then drops slowly until the first week in November, then falls off a cliff. Why? Because everyone is in a tree chasing deer during the rut and only guys like us are out chasing ducks and geese. Our Duck season is stuck for I believe 2 more seasons(due to Feds), then we can change, but we need to start now. We had a chance at 3 Geese a day, but the DNR got more votes for an extra 7 days during the spring hearings.

Guys we need numbers. I am working on getting everyone I hunt with to get out to the meetings and let our voices be heard. PM me if you are interested in meeting up for the meetings. I would rather bust ice, hunt a river, or a field for FAT MALLARDS then shoot a teal.

Here is a pic from earlier in the week. There is no true freeze up. There is always birds in WI, just got to find the open water.
Attachments
IMG_7152.jpeg
Almost A Fox
Newb

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:39 pm

Almost A Fox wrote:Here is the problem. Our DNR revolves around deer hunting. They have a chart that shows the number of harvested birds per week. The first week is the highest harvest then drops slowly until the first week in November, then falls off a cliff. Why? Because everyone is in a tree chasing deer during the rut and only guys like us are out chasing ducks and geese.

Like I said before, I just don't like how the current season makes a guy choose between prime time whitetail, and the only chance for good duck flights. It really sucks for the guy who really wants to put a deer in the freezer, but lives in a part of the state where that takes a lot of time in the woods to make happen.

I don't blame the DNR for revolving around deer hunting. And I don't think it's a problem either. Right now, the current season structures benefit you. You get limited pressure for the best part of the season because more people choose deer hunting instead.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:47 am

Im sorry but your post really doesn't make much sense. So prime time deer hunting and migrating ducks happen at the same time? So....What do u want the DNR to do about that. A later duck season would change this if Im getting at what ur saying. It seems like all the states down south really don't hunt the local ducks much because they wait for the migrators. Where here in WI half of our season is hunting locals and divers. WI deer hunting season dates aren't gonna change anytime soon. However it seems that a lot of guys are upset with the Duck dates. The main problem with WI is about 75% of hunters aren't very serious. However the DNR try's to meet what they want rather than what the group of dedicated hunters want. I wore a sweatshirt pretty much the whole season last year. I don't really see the point of investing in super nice extreme cold weather jackets.. We simply don't need them unless you hunt late season geese.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting