Float tube

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Float tube

Postby loon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:44 am

Does a float tube count as a boat? A lot of guys just stand out in the bay to hunt I was thinking a float tube would let you sit and put half of you below the water. I'm wondering about the 500 foot rule ?
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Re: Float tube

Postby gunrunnerusmc03 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Be careful in float tubes. I read a story not long ago about an experienced duck hunter tipping over in his float tube and was unable to extricate himself from the tube and he drowned in waste deep water.
gunrunnerusmc03
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:23 am

Loon, are you referring to a belly-boat? I bought one for that exact reason, thinking I would float a few small river areas around me, and use it for standing in open water. I found out it DID count as a boat. You needed to wear a PFD or have one with you. I'm not sure about Lake Michigan? If you stand on the bottom of lake bed, you are legal to hunt, as long as you don't have a blind as an aid. I'm sure you know what rule I'm referring to. This rule does not apply once you sit in or use one of these belly-boats. It now offers concealment, and becomes a blind. Therefore, you would (under normal circumstances) have to be three feet from emergent vegetation, offering 50% concealment. Now if you were on a body of water such as Lake Michigan or Green Bay, where open water hunting was allowed, you could indeed use it like a layout boat, but you would then need to be anchored like the law states. I want to add, that I would love to hunt out of one on Green Bay. I would certainly have a life vest on, but they are so damn comfortable. They are not low profile like a layout, but put a couple strings of decoys right off the layout, and I know you'd kill birds.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby loon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:21 am

SEriously Pete?! if Im standing I can be legal closer to shore and if I sit I am now a boat and need to be 500ft and anchored? the duck laws are kinda crazy. I usually just hunt the bay and true you would have a higher profile than a layout but you could also use some decoys to help conceal you when sitting and Im also thinking of using visqueen for camo I saw an article on the lock stock and barell decoy site. I think I need an interpretation and note pinned to my coat from a warden
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:46 am

It's a stupid rule, but I think there is going to be a change that will make everyone happy. There's a new proposal going to the Conservation Congress. The rule would be you could be in a boat within three feet of shore, with or without vegetation, so this belly boat would apply, and you could hunt from a belly boat if this rule passes. It would certainly allow more people the opportunity to spread out. I think the STUPIDEST rule ever written was the emergent vegetation rule. Why do they care if I'm hunting in my boat next to cat tails or mud or rocks or trees or bare shoreline? It should be up to me to determine if I'm going to stand a chance to kill birds or not. The rule (if it passes) would make people (where open water hunting does not apply) hunt three feet from shore, but you would have an endless amount of new water to hunt due to some waters being void of the required emergent vegetation. Just think about some areas right now that you know birds are loafing, and there are no houses too close making it illegal, yet there is no emergent vegetation so you can indeed hunt it. I can think of so many places I could hunt it is mind blowing. If this goes to the people at the spring hearings, be sure to vote in favor of. Will there be some private land owners who's property butts up to the water who will object? HELL YES! BUT THEY DON'T OWN THE WATER!!!! We don't want to hunt their land, we want to hunt our PUBLIC water.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:53 am

By the way, there are so many differing opinions from so many different Wardens that it wouldn't matter if one gave it to you in writing (which is so damn difficult to get any of them to sign their name to anything involving interpretation). It is up to the individual Warden whether they see fit to ticket you for a violation whether it is stupid or not. If you want to argue the point, you will have to go to court on your time, and trust me. The County Judge will favor the County Warden well before they will see your side if if you reason with them.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby schumacherm » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:34 am

Pete-pec wrote:It's a stupid rule, but I think there is going to be a change that will make everyone happy. There's a new proposal going to the Conservation Congress. The rule would be you could be in a boat within three feet of shore, with or without vegetation, so this belly boat would apply, and you could hunt from a belly boat if this rule passes. It would certainly allow more people the opportunity to spread out. I think the STUPIDEST rule ever written was the emergent vegetation rule. Why do they care if I'm hunting in my boat next to cat tails or mud or rocks or trees or bare shoreline? It should be up to me to determine if I'm going to stand a chance to kill birds or not. The rule (if it passes) would make people (where open water hunting does not apply) hunt three feet from shore, but you would have an endless amount of new water to hunt due to some waters being void of the required emergent vegetation. Just think about some areas right now that you know birds are loafing, and there are no houses too close making it illegal, yet there is no emergent vegetation so you can indeed hunt it. I can think of so many places I could hunt it is mind blowing. If this goes to the people at the spring hearings, be sure to vote in favor of. Will there be some private land owners who's property butts up to the water who will object? HELL YES! BUT THEY DON'T OWN THE WATER!!!! We don't want to hunt their land, we want to hunt our PUBLIC water.

I can think of so many places down here where I hunt on the mississippi that this new proposal applies to its not even funny! I didn't know there was a proposal to change up the vegetation rule but i will definitely be looking for it in the spring!
schumacherm
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:59 am

Yes, this would be a good thing! I will post dates when this goes to the public vote, so duck hunters can hunt with little resistance. Fingers crossed, it passes!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting