Maybe coming to wisconsin.

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Maybe coming to wisconsin.

Postby TNT » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:36 pm

I live in Kentucky now but my work has closed the doors and they have a business in Marshfield Wisconsin that they would like to transfer me to. My question to you all is how is the duck hunting up there?
I come from a state that my good days consist of a group of buddies gettin together and lucky to kill 5 birds. How does it compare to your days in the field? I am a big bow hunter also for deer.
Is the deer hunting pretty good too? Also is there a lot of public land to hunt? Because I'm sure I will be lookin for a place to hunt being I will not know anybody.
Lead to little, get a cripple. Lead to much, no such luck. Lead just right, duck for dinner tonight.
TNT
hunter

Re: Maybe coming to wisconsin.

Postby jptheman25 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:33 am

There are birds to be had here if you are willing to work for them. A lot depends on location. There are a lot of public areas that get hit real hard and are pretty crowded. Teamoulaw is a Kentucky transplant that I am sure will give you some good feedfack.
HR Candlewood's Triple Deke Rosen - Puck

Badger State HRC Member
jptheman25
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:53 am

Like previousally said u gotta work for your birds. Dont expect to go sit out on a public marsh and kill ur limit without finding where the birds are. Really good goose hunting if ur in the right area tho.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby TNT » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:30 am

Thank you guys for replying! I don't believe in being a lazy hunter and I'm willing to go any distance to kill birds. It's more like an addiction than a passion!
The plant is located west of Green Bay a few hours. There seams to be a lot of species to hunt and fish I am not a custom too. I'm always out for a challenge and I'm lookin forward to trying and learning new things.
Lead to little, get a cripple. Lead to much, no such luck. Lead just right, duck for dinner tonight.
TNT
hunter

Postby wackem' n stackem' » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:59 am

The pervious posts have hit it on the head. I would also like to add that the big water hunting is also alot of fun and can be very successful. Mallards and divers on the bay of green bay and divers and sea ducks on lake michigan. Also spring/summer salmon fishing on lake michigan out of any port is also fun to do. If you make the move where would you be living? Feel free to message me any other questions i dont mind sharing information.
wackem' n stackem'
hunter

Postby TNT » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:23 am

The county the plant is located in is Marathon, if that helps.
I absolutely love to fish so tryin somethin like Salomon fishing would really be awesome!!!! I've fished for walleye some here and a little success. I hear there are a good number of them up there so that really has me pumped!
I really appreciate all the info guys! Thank you.
The opportunities for hunting and fishing sound much better than my state.
TNT
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:13 am

I say make the move. jobs are few and far between and im sure you read my my pm
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:57 pm

I guess I'm from up that way.

There are birds, but like anywhere else, you make your own sucsess.

Let know if you ever want info on salmon fishing. I can point you in the right direction.

Bill Herian
hunter

Postby TNT » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:50 pm

Yes I read the pm and THANKS Outlaw! I will most definitely be asking for advise how to catch and new techniques that I may not know. I dint want anything handed to me but a tip to get the step in the right direction is always helpful.
TNT
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:05 pm

ur gonna need to travel for deer wolves have eaten just about everyone of em up north.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:04 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:ur gonna need to travel for deer wolves have eaten just about everyone of em up north.

Still plenty of deer around Marshfield. It is amazing how places have no deer now. I have freinds that hunt Oneida county and they put 9 hunters in the woods for five days and one guy missed a doe. The only deer they saw. It was never great deer hunting but years ago you could at least expcet to kill a deer if you put some time in.

My boss lives in Marinette Co and lots of people near him don't even buy licenses anymore.

I hunt Bayfield Co, one of the highest wolf densities in the state and possibly the world. Plenty of deer and good bucks if you know where to look.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby TNT » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:12 pm

WOLVES!!!!! That's awesome, can you hunt them? I would most definitely travel a little for deer because I love to eat it and the cat mouse Chase for the big one is a huge thrill even if you don't kill him.
TNT
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Pretty sure Price county is one if the top places for wolves too. We have 300+ acres for deer hunting in Price county. Dad use to grouse hunt it back in the day and said there wad just huge bucks and tons of deer. DNR introduces wolves and let bear population grow to much. Deer = Gone. We put food plots on and its rare to find a trail cam of a buck 120"+. Wausa area not as bad but I would definitley look at a different area for deer. Fun chasing em but after 3 days on the stand without seeing anything ur mind might change. Ohh and best thing about WI is ice fishing. Not sure if u do that down in kentucky
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:06 pm

DNR never introduced wolves. Biggest misconception in the wolf arena. DNR wanted to hunt for a long time, and had their hands tied by a list in washington that prohibited states from managing their wildlife. I have my own problems with the WDNR, but I don't envy the job they have to do, or think its easy.

Wolves get delisted, state enables a hunt and the DNR puts it together the same year. How often do you see a govt or state agency move that fast?

Price Co is loaded as well and the deer have suffered. Deer up there actually have to survive, unlike other parts of the state. Throw wolves into these regions where deer numbers are only slightly artificially high, and hunters feel the impact pretty quick. Just not enough animals to go around up there. Hunters in northern WI aren't mad because they aren't seeing 10 deer every time they go out, which is a popular notion thrown back at sportsman in the state today. They are mad because they see no deer in 10 hunts, and reasonably so.

I remember driving up 13 as a kid and seeing deer every few miles. Those were good times for hunting and numbers were artificially high. These days I don't see any deer from Point to Tomahawk, T-Hawk to Prentice, or Prentice to Marengo. Pretty sad.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:58 pm

I see more bears than deer and there horrible on the fawns
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby TNT » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:22 pm

No ice fishing here boys. We hardly even see lakes ever freeze over, heck sometimes even ponds dint freeze so ice fishing from what I've seen I videos looks fun.
Sounds like wolves are not so good for the deer population. Maybe I will have to go back home for deer or just let my brother send me some meet.
TNT
hunter

Postby jptheman25 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:34 am

There are still plenty of areas within an hour or two drive where you can find deer. Shawano County area is pretty good. By the way, you do have to compete with 600,000+ hunters on opening weekend.
HR Candlewood's Triple Deke Rosen - Puck

Badger State HRC Member
jptheman25
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:55 am

I guess my post was a little doomy and gloomy.

There are still lots of deer close to where you will be. Wisconsin is still the No.1 big buck producing state in the country.

Ice fishing is worth looking into.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby TNT » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:12 am

Wow! 600,000 that's a lot of hunters. Kentucky I think is not even 200,000.
Well I'm a die hard bow hunter and I don't rifle hunt till its a last resort. Maybe there is some opportunity for a bow hunter.
TNT
hunter

Postby TNT » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Killed this last year off of a core of engineers public hunting grounds. Hunted him for 2 years before I finally got the better of him. Not much but its the Chase that is the thrill.
IMAG0042-1-1.jpg
TNT
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:28 pm

you will be in the Wisconsin River Valley area. Can be good hunting... The realy good hunting will be on the Mississippi river though. Marathon county is basically the doorstep to "Up North" which is a fishermans paradise. if you ski, there is a small ski hill in Wausau which is close to where you will be. Northern Wisconsin has a ton of public land. This should give you a good starting point....http://www.huntfishcampwisconsin.com/centralriver

This place can be good also....http://www.crexmeadows.org/Map%20of%20C ... eadows.pdf

Good Luck
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby send the dog » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:27 pm

pm sent
send the dog
hunter

Postby Robert Becherer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:14 pm

I think you will see more deer bowhunting than gun hunting.With the large amount of gun hunters in the woods,the deer hole up and almost refuse to move until night or pushed out of their hiding spot.Excellent fishing and turkey hunting
Robert Becherer
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting