Transition Assistance

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Transition Assistance

Postby BHill » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:53 pm

After several years of hunting the waters of Wisconsin I am looking at transitioning to field hunting and was hoping you all might be able to answer a few questions I have. Are there any lay out blinds that anyone would strongly recommend or avoid. At this point in time I don't need the "Cadillac" but since I lack the experience I don't know the key features I should be looking for. I'm hoping to get one that is a good bang for the buck and works well for a 6'4" person.

For goose decoys, all Canadiens, I have a half dozen full bodies, about 3 dozen shells, and a bunch of wind socks that I am unsure if I should use or not but they are available. For ducks I have a bunch of floaters but no full bodies. Should I focus my resources on the duck decoys and is that plenty of geese or what do you recommend for a ratio in a field spread?

Are there any other items, aside from getting landowner permission, that I should be looking at to help transition?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
BHill
Newb

Re: Transition Assistance

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:28 pm

If youre 6'4" I would recommend getting the FA ProGuide XL blind. Im 6'7" and the blind still has plenty of wiggle room for me. I am in SE WI, we dont field hunt ducks too much but its my favorite way to take geese. Get yourself a goose flag, a couple more full bodies. Always take the wind into consideration. And do a lot of scouting!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby wackem' n stackem' » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:18 am

I forget who makes them or who carries them but i have seen stands that you can buy that slide on the keel of your floaters so they can double as field decoys. I field hunt ducks and geese alot and ive never needed more than 4-5 dozen geese and 1-2 dozen duck decoys along with a mojo or two. If you use mojos i recommend getting the remote control for them because geese will flare if you have mojos running. Lastly and most important do alot of scouting.
wackem' n stackem'
hunter

Postby Whackndstack6 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:24 am

wackem' n stackem' wrote:I forget who makes them or who carries them but i have seen stands that you can buy that slide on the keel of your floaters so they can double as field decoys. I field hunt ducks and geese alot and ive never needed more than 4-5 dozen geese and 1-2 dozen duck decoys along with a mojo or two. If you use mojos i recommend getting the remote control for them because geese will flare if you have mojos running. Lastly and most important do alot of scouting.

Try DCVR outdoors I believe they have the conversion stakes your are talking about. Neat idea thats for sure
Whackndstack6
hunter

Postby BHill » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:38 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have recently moved from Milwaukee out to Oconomowoc and I'll honestly tell you I have seen more ducks over the fields than I did on most water this year and that is partially driving my change of position. I would also be lying if I didn't state that I love to hear the sound of a goose hitting the ground/water and I have seen plenty of them out this way so I may be becoming more of a goose hunter/chaser. I had heard that Cabelas blinds were pretty solid but the height thing seemed to be an issue as many of the reviews I read said they were roomy for those under six foot. As for the duck stakes or feet I saw some at Farm and Fleet earlier this year, I don't recall who made them but I was unsure how they would work so I did not buy any. If anyone can comment on these it would be greatly appreciated because I have plenty of floaters.

Once again thanks much for all the insight and help.
BHill
Newb

Postby Goose Doctors » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:22 pm

I have the tanglefree deadzone blind, I'm 6 2 but there's plenty of room for a taller guy. I love the thing, it's easy to set up and works great. Just be sure to mud whatever blind you get, it helps alot. I just started field hunting this year and I love it. I use all shells only have 40 altogether and have had no problem getting geese to come into my spread.
Goose Doctors
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting