Why No Duck Clubs in WI

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Why No Duck Clubs in WI

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:54 am

Just wondering why I never see duck clubs in WI. Not enough interest or not enough ducks? I have heard of private islands but thats about it.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Re: Why No Duck Clubs in WI

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Don't give anybody any ideas.

But srsly.

Not enough ducks, especially not on private ground.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:13 am

there is one that i know of. they rotate 5 blinds on a private marsh. i wanna say it was 1200-1500 a person.

back in ky you cant hardly get on private ground because of all the duck clubs but are ducks down there are more concentrated in one area. the ducks up here seem scattered and few and far between
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:53 pm

There is one in NE Wisconsin. They have at least one section of land that is on the Bay of Green Bay. Private membership, I think its about 35 to 40 k to get in. Rich people of the area. It's called "Murder Inc" Look on the plot book of Oconto Co..... Thats how it is listed.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Thats interesting.

If its on the bay how do they keep me and you from hunting it? Sounds like private access to a public spot. :lol3:
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:54 pm

You could layout hunt in front of it but, if you go on there section they will put the :hammer: down on you. This club is filled with Doctors,Lawers,and Judges....take you chance..... BTW they cant hit a dam thing :lol3:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:03 am

Good for them. I wonder if the shooting is really that consistient? Just can't think of that many places where private ground would draw and hold enough birds to sustain an operation like that.

They probably feed corn by the gravity box :lol3:
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:50 am

I don't know if there are private tracks of land big enough except down south by the "stinky" boarder. Everything is 40 acres with large farms being about 200 acres. We are the dairy state. Dairy farms were just big enough to support and feed the cattle (100-200 acres max). This state never farmed for grain, cotton, etc. That is why large tracks of 2000+ acres were so uncommon. Plus, so much in this state is wooded. Would have to do a lot of clearing. In southern IL and along the Mississippi it makes sense cause it is so open, with huge plantations that stayed with the family since the 19th century.

Face it, where hunt clubs are common is where duck hunting is a way of life. Up here the priority is deer hunting...... and BEER! :beer:
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:54 am

Wisconsin was actually the nation's top wheat and hops producing state for a number of years, along with being the nation's top lumber producer. This state has some interesting history.

Wisconsin is actually a banner state for wetlands conservation. I think we still have right around 50% of our pre-settlement wetlands, but that's because most of them are owned by the state and fed.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:33 pm

Probably right the market for guys willing to pay for duck hunting is pretty small and theirs not a consistent enough migration of ducks to hunt one piece of ground and shoot good number of day after day
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby loon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:03 pm

I actually know some of the guys that are in murder Inc. They get some ducks there of course but with the low-water a lot of their cover areas are too far from the actual water. And I also know they have had some run-ins with people that aren't members hunting where they legally could and weren't happy about it But of course there was nothing they could do about it. A lot of the guys Deerhaunt there too. If it makes you feel any better a couple of the guys want to hunt with me because I usually do better than they do. Know-how and commonsense can triumph over lots of mighty dollars :thumbsup:
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby teamoutlaw » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:45 pm

alot of ducks clubs in the south are flooded corn, milo, beans, wheat, timber....they flood anything.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting