Waterfowl guide near Kenosha

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Waterfowl guide near Kenosha

Postby skelso98 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:29 am

I come to Kenosha several times a year on business. This year I have 2 trips booked that should fall during duck season (based on season dates for past 2 years; won't know for sure until dates get published) and I would like to find a guide I can hunt with on at least 1 of these trips.

1) Anyone know of a guide they would recommend near (within 1-2 hours) Kenosha?

2) Anyone interested in doing a group booking? Here in Texas it is difficult if not impossible to get a guide to book a trip with fewer than 4 hunters. I assume the same is true in WI.

I've also been interested in Pheasant hunts in the area. If any of you have input on that, I'm all ears as well.

Thanks!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
skelso98
hunter

Re: Waterfowl guide near Kenosha

Postby skelso98 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:22 am

WOW! 80 something views and no comments... Are there no guides in that area? I've searched on-line some and haven't found any myself.

So let's try a different approach... Anyone want to trade a WI hunt (actually anywhere within a few hours of Kenosha, could be IL?) for a TX hunt?

I just joined a hunting club here in TX. It will be my first year with them but I have friends that have hunted with them for years and they do well more often than not. We can hunt it from the Early Teal opener through the end of goose conservation season (I've never hunted Geese but the other guys do it regularly so they have the decoys, etc). So pick your poison, ducks or geese.

skelso98
hunter

Postby WI WATERFOWL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:27 pm

There aren't really any guides in that aea of the state. If you look around Horicon you might be able to find something. Only guides you really see often are Layout hunting Lake Michigan or hunting the Mississippi River. I have access to some fields in SE WI along with boats to hunt local lakes so I maybe able to help you out if you are looking to hunt a day or two. Just depends if the birds are around when you happen to be here. Public land has lots of presure in WI. Also there really aren't many duck clubs in WI, the ones that are around are expenseive and not very succesful. Where in TX are you located?
I said coot not shoot!
WI WATERFOWL
hunter

Postby skelso98 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm open for just about anything just to try something / somewhere different than what I have access to here in TX. My office there is in the business park in Pleasant Prairie. It kills me to come up there to work and listen to the goose hunters blasting in the fields across the street or watch pheasant run across our parking lot. I love bird hunting in general. I hunt a lot of dove here, Pheasant in Kansas & North Dakota, and just got into duck hunting a few years ago. I've only been goose hunting once and I use the term "hunting" loosely because in 2 days with 8 people on a guided trip no one ever fired a shot... I'm dead set on shooting a goose somewhere this year!

I'm in College Station, TX and have access to both public and private in this area. However, the club I joined this year is in much better waterfowl territory. They have land leased in the Katy and Brookshire prairies, as well as land with water in El Campo, Garwood, and Eagle lake areas.

skelso98
hunter

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:34 pm

Talk to Teamoutlaw here on the wi forums, he doesn't live too far away from Kenosha and was making plans for a guide service.

Sent while sitting at work!
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Skelso.

Im not a guide. Just not in the cards yet. Hard to get sole permission for a field. And u need several for options.
I do have several we can go hunt tho. Let me know what kind of hunting your wanting to do and we can figure it out. I got the decoys and extra layout blind so all u need is your gun. Just send me a pm and we'll work something out.hell i wouldnt mind a texas hunt.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:05 pm

If ur dead set on a guide i know one i hunt with. He had a pit in grays lake area in Illinois. Depending on the time they bounce around to some fields he has access to. He is also running liv's hunt for a cure again this season. Big sean hammock, grounds, etc usually all come to the event and guide and give proceeds to cystic fibrosis research. Just let me know
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby ICFEET80 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:11 pm

I've got some areas where we could probably set this up for you depending on the dates you're in town. Not a guiding thing, just may have an extra spot. PM me. Outlaw, what is the Liv's thing your talking about? sounds interesting.
ICFEET80
hunter

Postby mallardhead » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:54 pm

F.Y.I. guy's Liv's for a cure is no longer. They had the last one last year.
mallardhead
hunter

Postby Richie27 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:35 pm

mallardhead wrote:F.Y.I. guy's Liv's for a cure is no longer. They had the last one last year.

Liv's hunt for a cure is on this year. Mauro moved up the hunt to the 2nd & 3rd of November.

Liv's Hunt for a Cure is a great cause. Friday night is a silent auction / dinner - it gives you a good opportunity to rub elbows with the pros while raising money for a great cause. If you're hunting the next day, Mauro will let you know who your guide is and where to meet.
There is also a contest for the smallest, largest and most average bird. I've helped out for several years and I'm excited that its back on this year.
Richie27
hunter

Postby skelso98 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:34 pm

Thank y'all for all the replies. And a huge thanks to Teamoutlaw for letting me tag along on several hunts last week. I had a great time learning how y'all do it up here. Unfortunately killing my first goose wasn't in the cards this trip. Not because Blake wasn't on the birds, it was all due to my horrible shooting... that and the fact those are some tough birds to kill!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4
skelso98
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:14 pm

I cant get em any closer. they were walking in the decoys :biggrin:

then flyin by 30 yrd range

and next day who knows who dropped the 2 from the migrating flock since we all shot.

I had a good time, we'll see ya next time your in.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting