Moved to Delavan

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Moved to Delavan

Postby delavancomets » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:05 pm

Hello I just moved to delavan and i am wanting to do some duck hunting and i am looking for some information on where to go. I am not looking for exact spots but just some general areas. I heard that lake delavan in good but if anyone could provide any information on that it would be great. also any other tips on some areas will be great to. Pm me or just reply to post. Thanks.
delavancomets
hunter

Re: Moved to Delavan

Postby Trout&Duck » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:07 pm

This is a link to land owned by the Wisconsin DNR, http://dnrmaps.wi.gov/DNRManagedLands/
Trout&Duck
hunter

Re: Moved to Delavan

Postby tywhite87 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:52 pm

I used to live over there for the last three years, Delavan gets some pretty good pressure but can be pretty good too. There are only a few spots out on the main lake that are legally huntable (on the SW end around the bays), but if you get out there early enough you can get one. The marsh to the north of 50 is accessible about half way in by regular boat, the northern portion is paddle in only (obviously this is all dependent on how much water you have in a given year.) If you have a small paddle craft you can launch into the marsh to the north from mound road but only if there is enough water and you draft shallow enough. My paddle in boat drafts about four inches and last fall with the drought I couldn't get in there (and if you try to walk it be careful you might find hip deep that will grab you like quicksand.) I know last year some guys got stuck in there running a mud motor and the FD had to come get them with an airboat.

I also used to do ok on along the Turtle Creek Wildlife area. The entire creek anywhere I tried it was 99% accessible on foot with only a few spots that might get to deep for chest waders. Again be careful of the black muck, there's a few spots that can get pretty sticky. I also shot A LOT of doves in here too.

Last one I'd say to try is Silver Lake on Hwy ES Northwest of Elkhorn. It's 80 acres and fairly shallow (about 6ft deepest I believe) and extremely weedy, essentially an 80 acre open swamp. It's got a pretty crappy dirt ramp so I wouldn't suggest a big heavy boat but something small again can get you in. Did pretty good on mallards, woodies and teal here with a few geese mixed in. I always heard a lot of shooting on Lake Wandawega to the north but never saw anyone besides myself on Silver lake.
tywhite87
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting