Moved to Delavan

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Moved to Delavan

Postby delavancomets » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:05 pm

Hello I just moved to delavan and i am wanting to do some duck hunting and i am looking for some information on where to go. I am not looking for exact spots but just some general areas. I heard that lake delavan in good but if anyone could provide any information on that it would be great. also any other tips on some areas will be great to. Pm me or just reply to post. Thanks.
delavancomets
Newb

Re: Moved to Delavan

Postby Trout&Duck » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:07 pm

This is a link to land owned by the Wisconsin DNR, http://dnrmaps.wi.gov/DNRManagedLands/
Trout&Duck
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:52 pm

I used to live over there for the last three years, Delavan gets some pretty good pressure but can be pretty good too. There are only a few spots out on the main lake that are legally huntable (on the SW end around the bays), but if you get out there early enough you can get one. The marsh to the north of 50 is accessible about half way in by regular boat, the northern portion is paddle in only (obviously this is all dependent on how much water you have in a given year.) If you have a small paddle craft you can launch into the marsh to the north from mound road but only if there is enough water and you draft shallow enough. My paddle in boat drafts about four inches and last fall with the drought I couldn't get in there (and if you try to walk it be careful you might find hip deep that will grab you like quicksand.) I know last year some guys got stuck in there running a mud motor and the FD had to come get them with an airboat.

I also used to do ok on along the Turtle Creek Wildlife area. The entire creek anywhere I tried it was 99% accessible on foot with only a few spots that might get to deep for chest waders. Again be careful of the black muck, there's a few spots that can get pretty sticky. I also shot A LOT of doves in here too.

Last one I'd say to try is Silver Lake on Hwy ES Northwest of Elkhorn. It's 80 acres and fairly shallow (about 6ft deepest I believe) and extremely weedy, essentially an 80 acre open swamp. It's got a pretty crappy dirt ramp so I wouldn't suggest a big heavy boat but something small again can get you in. Did pretty good on mallards, woodies and teal here with a few geese mixed in. I always heard a lot of shooting on Lake Wandawega to the north but never saw anyone besides myself on Silver lake.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby Thoner » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:36 pm

Hey man I was just browsing and saw this post. My names Nikolai, How do you like hunting in the area? I actually live in Delavan myself but I'm moving to lacrosse for school. I've got a lot of spots on turtle creek as well as some ponds. I've done a lot of scouting this past year, so whenever I'm home and your wanting to hunt lets do it!
Delavan/LaCrosse Wisconsin
Thoner
hunter

Postby thebirdybirdyman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:14 pm

i live in elkhorn and i would be game for a hunt also. i just moved here last year so i am still finding my way around
thebirdybirdyman
hunter

Postby DuckMulisha13 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:08 am

tywhite87 wrote:I used to live over there for the last three years, Delavan gets some pretty good pressure but can be pretty good too. There are only a few spots out on the main lake that are legally huntable (on the SW end around the bays), but if you get out there early enough you can get one. The marsh to the north of 50 is accessible about half way in by regular boat, the northern portion is paddle in only (obviously this is all dependent on how much water you have in a given year.) If you have a small paddle craft you can launch into the marsh to the north from mound road but only if there is enough water and you draft shallow enough. My paddle in boat drafts about four inches and last fall with the drought I couldn't get in there (and if you try to walk it be careful you might find hip deep that will grab you like quicksand.) I know last year some guys got stuck in there running a mud motor and the FD had to come get them with an airboat.

I also used to do ok on along the Turtle Creek Wildlife area. The entire creek anywhere I tried it was 99% accessible on foot with only a few spots that might get to deep for chest waders. Again be careful of the black muck, there's a few spots that can get pretty sticky. I also shot A LOT of doves in here too.

Last one I'd say to try is Silver Lake on Hwy ES Northwest of Elkhorn. It's 80 acres and fairly shallow (about 6ft deepest I believe) and extremely weedy, essentially an 80 acre open swamp. It's got a pretty crappy dirt ramp so I wouldn't suggest a big heavy boat but something small again can get you in. Did pretty good on mallards, woodies and teal here with a few geese mixed in. I always heard a lot of shooting on Lake Wandawega to the north but never saw anyone besides myself on Silver lake.

With turle Creek, do you just park in the designated areas and wade/walk whichever direction you want? Do I need to be on shore to shoot or can I just stand in the water?
DuckMulisha13
hunter

Postby Deuce22 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:17 am

DuckMulisha13 wrote:With turle Creek, do you just park in the designated areas and wade/walk whichever direction you want? Do I need to be on shore to shoot or can I just stand in the water?

The cyber-scouting is strong with this one...

As was said in the Horicon thread, spend some time and money on gas and go look. If you're going to come up from IL and "exploit" WI public land you should also be familiar with the laws and DNR regs which will help you answer the above questions.
Deuce22
hunter

Postby 870master » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:02 pm

Seemed like a pretty legit question. No need to b a prick about it
If it walks like a chicken... it's dinner
870master
hunter

Postby 870master » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:11 pm

hardly would that be considered internet scouting. its not like he was asking about kill numbers and best locations. just general information about the place. y dont ya pull up your big boy internet panties and leave the answers to people who know the place
If it walks like a chicken... it's dinner
870master
hunter

Postby poops2260 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:28 pm

BOOM!!!
poops2260
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Boom!
think you winged it
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:30 pm

BOOM!! I'm the guy that shoots just to shoot because everyone else did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby Skitzo63 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:24 pm

I am from the Clinton area I have hunted turtle creek a few times. I normally head to brodhead are to hunt. But if you follow creek road that runs along turtle creek you will find the dnr signs posted everywhere just pull of the road to park. Thats what I do when I do hunt the creek. I would say we could meet up but I'm in the army down at ft.bliss until 2015 so maybe next season.
Skitzo63
Newb

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting