When to go?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

When to go?

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:47 am

Well I live in Kentucky but my brother lives in Wisconsin and he went duck hunting with us last year and fell in love with it so me and a buddy are planning a trip up there to hunt with him this year and just looking at recommendations on the best time. Of course I know it all depends on the weather but if you had one weekend to pick to be there which one would it be? We will be hunting the delevan area and I'm guessing mostly public since he hasn't had much luck finding places. Any good advice on places to check out would also be appreciated.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Re: When to go?

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:55 pm

The time to come up here really does play on the weather north of us for ducks, but you can almost constantly count on geese in the area. I don't hunt too far from Delavan. Some places to check out are the Vernon Marsh, Princess Point and most marshy lakes around here. Just know that with those being public they do see a lot of pressure. Shoot me a PM when your on the way up and i'll give you a report.

Sent while sitting at work!
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks backwoods. I will definitely get with you before we come up. Will most likely be the end of oct or first of November.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:43 pm

My personal favorite times in Wisco are the last two weeks of the season. Weather plays a big factor here but the last two weeks is usually very cold and the ducks are migrating. It is hit or miss on whether or not birds are in the area but it can be excellent if you are on them. And the weather keeps a few hunters off public marshes. After last years opener i've been on a kick of keeping away from the crowds. Good luck when ur up!
Rhock19
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:20 am

I would come the weekend of gun deer season. that elminates alot fo waterfowl hunters from the water and so many deer drives kicking up fowl out of fields and swamps etc.

I have had 2 good weekends on deer opener last 2 years.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting