Vernon Wildlife Area

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Vernon Wildlife Area

Postby Trout&Duck » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:02 am

I know that this marsh is very heavily hunted and that On weekend mornings, but I was wondering, is most of the "hunting" concentrated on the Dike off of Frog Alley road, and that flowage?
Trout&Duck
hunter

Re: Vernon Wildlife Area

Postby Rhock19 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:13 pm

last year seemed to be really concentrated on the weekends at frog alley. Ive hunted a few weekends there the past four years and it stays plenty packed by frog alley. also concentrated heavily by the refuge every year too. personally I would stay away from hunting there. I don't hunt there anymore after too many skybuster instances and people setting up 20 yards away from us. i like the area and birds fly through but it all boils down to what you want to put up with. good luck this year!
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Trout&Duck » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Well I Got a Kayak this year so now I can get back into the marsh, if I can get deeper into the wetland would it be any better, also the dike by the refuge is closed for repairs until Oct. 19 for repairs, so that would probably shift most people away from there.
Trout&Duck
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:27 am

with your kayak you will be able to go to a lot better spots to hunt there. what i would recommend is go do your scouting, go at the times you plan on hunting. last year i scouted at night and found a spot birds were dumping into and i hunted vernon opening day, we didnt fire a shot until 4 but we ended up with 8 birds. there are a ton of little holes back in the reeds that you cant see until birds drop in them. this is especially true later in the season. try finding those little holes with your kayak and you will have a good hunt.
Rhock19
hunter

Postby fish'n'shoot » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:58 am

I will echo the thoughts on Vernon:

1) Always busy (as evident by the 3 million spent shot shells you will find after the opening day)
2) Someone is always shooting at birds that are too far away (but they use "black cloud", so it's apparently ok)

I went a number of times last year (just moved here from out of state) and NEVER saw anyone down a duck/goose. That doesn't mean that you may be able to hit it right and have a great day - this is just my experience.

With a kayak you may be able to find better water away from the crowds, but make sure you know the water level before you go "all in". If the water is low, like last year, it may take a lot to find good areas.

I hunt other areas now - good luck scouting.

If you have a kayak, I would recommend finding some good small rivers and doing some jump-shooting. Just be super careful and know your rivers (and who may be walking/hunting/fishing on the banks) extremely well. Again, this all goes back to getting out there and scouting.
fish'n'shoot
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting