Sea Ducks Lake Michigan, do's / dont's

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Sea Ducks Lake Michigan, do's / dont's

Postby Tsquare86 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:36 am

I'd like to open up a discussion for those who have smacked some sea ducks on Lake Michigan. I would like to try targeting them a couple times this year, but I have only vague ideas of what I'll need to do...

Who's done this? What worked well, what stunk like skunk?
Tsquare86
hunter

Re: Sea Ducks Lake Michigan, do's / dont's

Postby wackem' n stackem' » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:54 am

layout boats are the key now..Youll get shooting out of a regular boat but not nearly as much as you would in a layout boat. You need to be about a mile off shore or more roughly 70-90 feet of water. As far as decoys if you have sea duck decoys great if not ive used bluebills and and canvasbacks in a pinch. Near shore hunting youll see alot of bluebills, redheads, bufflehead and sometimes mallards. Its a tough game to play watch the weather closely..If you want my honest opinion if you only plan on doing this a couple times a season or just want to try it for something different look up big water outdoors they are a guide service out of sheboygan and a pretty darn good at what they do. they have all the gear you need all you need is your gun
wackem' n stackem'
hunter

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Tsquare I've been wondering the same thing. Thinking about making a layout out of an old sailboat. I got a good boat for a tender boat so will see how far I pursue the idea.

Sent while sitting at work!
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:06 pm

Do hire a guide, and do hire Ryan at: http://coastalwisconsin.com/contact/

He's a sponsor, he's a hell of a nice guy, and he will get you on the birds.

Don't turn the cheek on my advice. Do this hunt with a professional, and learn a few things before trying this on your own. Be forthright with him, and tell him your intentions. He might be willing to share some insight? I wouldn't expect anyone to try and nab a particular area from a guy, because it is a big lake, but you will definitely learn a few things.

Don't be afraid to try something a little less dangerous than the big lake itself. There are safe alternatives that will get you divers. Did I mention he offers a diver hunt as well? :biggrin:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tsquare86 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:40 pm

I have been seriously contemplating a call to Ryan on this one... I'm simply not sure if I can find enough friends interested and extra $ to do it... Considering I learned how to diver layout hunt in Ashland with a pseudo guide...

I should note, I have been hunting divers on Lake Michigan with pretty good success as well as fishing out of Milwaukee in up to 5 footers. Now my Salmon boat is in storage and I'm down to my mid sized grayed out Mr Pike. (big difference in what waves I can take...)

I have zero intention on going out on a day where I am suspect poor weather or >1' waves. Just want to try something new. Thought there may be some other people on here who have taken their off shore fishing boats out for shts and giggles to try it out.
Tsquare86
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting