YouTube goose hunt video

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

YouTube goose hunt video

Postby marktank » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:01 pm

If you go on YouTube and punch in wisconsin goose 2013 there is a video where these two young bucks call in a goose and then let it land. They then shoot it once as it tries to fly away. Morons? Any comments? I thought it was pretty bad in my opinion. Maybe this link will work.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxm03pOAvO4
marktank
hunter

Re: YouTube goose hunt video

Postby goosecommander1994 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:23 pm

In my opinion its unsportsmanlike, also with such close by boat traffic and shooting in the direction of houses seems hunting there would be unethical to me..
goosecommander1994
hunter

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:06 pm

Hope that wasn't anyone on here...

Sent while sitting at work!
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:11 pm

Can't even believe that goose was committed.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Location: Where racketeering, conspiracy, fraud and soliciting of bribes for political appointments is normal

Postby marktank » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:30 pm

I thought it was horrible. I am sure that was this years goose to be that stupid.
marktank
hunter

Postby schumacherm » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:36 pm

i thought back in the day that if you couldnt land waterfowl on the water you werent a real hunter. And now people are getting bashed for being able to land the goose on the water? personally i think it was the smart choice to do since they had houses close to them. If they would have shot at the goose while in the air who knows where the shot would have gone, atleast shooting it on the water the shot went in to the lake instead of towards the houses. But to each their own i guess
schumacherm
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Swatting a goose at forty feet isn't what gets me out of bed on hunt morning, but hey, they got one.

y'all are just jealous of that guy's calling

Nothing appeared immediately unsafe about it. That boat was long gone. Houses are a non issue. It's actually kind of nice to see people out hunting places like that, even though they might catch some flak for it.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:07 pm

schumacherm wrote:i thought back in the day that if you couldnt land waterfowl on the water you weren't a real hunter.

Obviously there are separate theories to this. Personally I feel that there is little sport or skill letting birds land and then killing them. Is it enjoyable to watch them complete finish? Oh, you bet! But, taking the life when the bird is 10-15 yard shot over and over seems daunting and unsportsmanlike. IMO, the best time to take the bird is when it's not flying anymore, but getting ready to finish the last 25 yards.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Location: Where racketeering, conspiracy, fraud and soliciting of bribes for political appointments is normal

Postby schumacherm » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:29 am

KillerKowalski wrote:
schumacherm wrote:i thought back in the day that if you couldnt land waterfowl on the water you weren't a real hunter.

Obviously there are separate theories to this. Personally I feel that there is little sport or skill letting birds land and then killing them. Is it enjoyable to watch them complete finish? Oh, you bet! But, taking the life when the bird is 10-15 yard shot over and over seems daunting and unsportsmanlike. IMO, the best time to take the bird is when it's not flying anymore, but getting ready to finish the last 25 yards.

I understand that, and thats usually when i would rather kill the bird too but looking at their situation it may have been a better call to let the bird land and then jump it off the water and nock it back down so that their shot wasnt going towards the houses where they were set up at
schumacherm
hunter

Postby fish'n'shoot » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:52 am

ok - call me uneducated, but how far do you think a shot pattern would travel???

1) I have never (nor would I want to) hunted a location this busy/populated (much less with pleasure boaters active on the water)

2) I have shot at many shotgun ranges, and a few where there are roads/houses within 100-300 yards directly across from the shooting lines (granted, they were target loads)

I understand that different substances (ie; bismuth) may travel a farther distance (correct?) but I would not think the houses across from the shooters were in any real danger. (variables are shot size, steel/lead/etc.)

Again, I would not have even set-up in a place like this, but for the sake of educating me and the rest of the people who may have the same question - how far do you realistically think the pattern would travel?
fish'n'shoot
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:00 am

Guys its a dead bird anyways. When I started out I would of been estatic to get a goose to land in like that. I would rather see more people shoot em like that then take passing shots at geese when their 70 yards up. I would hate to be setup in a spot like that though.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting