Opinion: How close is too close to set up?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Re: Opinion: How close is too close to set up?

Postby send the dog » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:29 pm

recker wrote:15 yards apart on a firing line? That is just plain crazy. I get what your saying about the shell limits it just always seemed to me that skybusting hurts the overall hunting of an area.

send the dog wrote:
recker wrote:Yeah they look like real class acts. If they actually let the ducks work they could probably do pretty well. I see so many videos like this and they are usually playing some sort of heavy metal killer music and they all give the group some sort of name. It usually has something to do with killing. Unreal.

I remember reading back a few years ago they were trying to put some limits on shells and spacing at the barrels blinds in lacrosse but hunters shot it down like a rock. I mean seems they were trying to improve the hunting but hunters wanted no part of it. I dont get it.

I went to those meetings and was very vocal about shooting it down like a rock. I looked at it like this: we will always have
d-bags in this sport, if we start to restrict where and how they hunt, then they will be forced to move further and further back into the marsh, next thing you know, the d-bags are next to those of us that actually understand this sport. Let them have their area up front and easy to get to. I just don't want them forced back to where i'm at. And, to the OP, this is a crazy marsh around here, and depending where you go, different rules apply. On the firing lines around LaCrosse county i believe the ethical distance to the next group of hunters is 15 yards, but i'm not positive. The last time I hunted a line and some DB came in 40 yrds away, I packed up and left,that was 15 yrs ago. Now, if you end up being where the birds like to work, then 260yrds could be acceptable as long as you DO NOT start calling to your neighbors working birds and he not call on yours.

Here is a story that will churn your butter. 15 years ago was the last time i hunted a line, and some DB's came in and set up 40 yards away from me (which seems like 15 yrds, might as well be). I figured it's the line and i should expect that. I did hunt for about an hour that morning, and had some shooting. I had a hen mallard come in and i was calling to her, i circled her around 5,6, maybe 7 times, i had her land in the decoys twice, had her 10 yrds away from me a few times. I wasn't going to shoot her, i was just having a conversation with her. We got bored with one another and she flew off, you guessed it!!!!!!!! 40 yrds away and got dusted!!!!! thats when i packed up and left and haven't been back there since. They wern't skybusting, they were/are
D-bags who shouldn't be out there in the first place, but if they are out, keep them the heck away from me. :mad:
send the dog
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:17 pm

They were d bags because they shot the duck? I guess I'm confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby send the dog » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Trent_Rivers wrote:They were d bags because they shot the duck? I guess I'm confused.

I try not to shoot hens and would encourage everyone to adhere to the same practice. In the situation that i descibed, yes, they were d-bags for shooting that hen. If a person wants to shoot hens and think that they are great duck hunters then there is a great place for you to set up your decoys, it's called the firing line. Please leave the back of the marsh to the rest of us who have elevated our game.
send the dog
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:44 pm

Oh ok I didn't make the connection between the d bag comment and the fact that it was a hen. Now I understand.

Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby send the dog » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Trent_Rivers wrote:Oh ok I didn't make the connection between the d bag comment and the fact that it was a hen. Now I understand.

And sorry if I came off a little harsh, this sport is not a matter of life and death, it is much more important than that.
send the dog
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:34 pm

send the dog wrote:I try not to shoot hens and would encourage everyone to adhere to the same practice. In the situation that i descibed, yes, they were d-bags for shooting that hen. If a person wants to shoot hens and think that they are great duck hunters then there is a great place for you to set up your decoys, it's called the firing line. Please leave the back of the marsh to the rest of us who have elevated our game.

Please stop. Someone young and impressionable might be reading this garbage and believing it.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Pigeonator35 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:15 pm

I agree. There's nothing wrong with shooting hens if only drakes are shot youll end up with a male to female ratio that is terrible. Drakes mate with a single hen each year, this could be a different hen from breeding season to breeding season but it is a single hen per season (seasonal monogamy). Thus if we were to shoot only drakes hens would find themselves without mates and there for not produce ducklings. That philosophy that if we only shoot drakes there will be more ducks is completely false. In reality your going to want a 1/1 ratio to produce the largest number of ducklings.
Pigeonator35
hunter

Postby send the dog » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:30 pm

Pigeonator35 wrote:I agree. There's nothing wrong with shooting hens if only drakes are shot youll end up with a male to female ratio that is terrible. Drakes mate with a single hen each year, this could be a different hen from breeding season to breeding season but it is a single hen per season (seasonal monogamy). Thus if we were to shoot only drakes hens would find themselves without mates and there for not produce ducklings. That philosophy that if we only shoot drakes there will be more ducks is completely false. In reality your going to want a 1/1 ratio to produce the largest number of ducklings.

Soooo, by this thinking, you are assuming that everyone will be shooting drakes???? No, that is not what i am saying. There will always be plenty of suzie killers out there, however, for those of us that are able to identify what we shoot and have been doing this for a while, i believe that we should be the responsible ones to target drakes only. We will then compensate for a large number of hunters that don't know, don't care, or are too stupid to figure it out. Example: taking a youngster out for the youth hunt, you would probably let them shoot at anything, and they end up with 3 hen wood-ducks. You gou out opening day and just want to kill ducks, you shoot the first 3 that present a shot, you end up with 3 hen wood-ducks. That produces a hen/drake ratio of 6/0. You keep up with this mentality and there will be no ducks to shoot. Shooting drakes only is a goal and an elevated level in this sport. Not everyone will graduate to this level, so i encourage the ones who have to shoot only drakes, henceforth, compensating for the ones who don't. That is called conservation.
send the dog
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:10 pm

I hope some day I can be a self righteous prick.

STD - There is no evidence to support what you are saying. Just absolutely none whatsoever. In fact, with the current season structure and limits, we couldn't kill enough hens to make a difference if everyone tried to.

But please, don't let empirically gathered scientific data bring you to heel. You obviously know better.

Pigeonator35 wrote:Drakes mate with a single hen each year,

Whoever told you this, lied. A drake mallard will breed hens until it dies of exhaustion. It might pair with one hen, but it will be looking for side work as well.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby send the dog » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Bill Herian wrote:I hope some day I can be a self righteous prick.

STD - There is no evidence to support what you are saying. Just absolutely none whatsoever. In fact, with the current season structure and limits, we couldn't kill enough hens to make a difference if everyone tried to.

But please, don't let empirically gathered scientific data bring you to heel. You obviously know better.

Pigeonator35 wrote:Drakes mate with a single hen each year,

Whoever told you this, lied. A drake mallard will breed hens until it dies of exhaustion. It might pair with one hen, but it will be looking for side work as well.

Just a theory that i happen to hold onto. If you choose to have another theory, that is completely fine with me. As far as being a self rightous prick who doesn't let empirically gathered scientific data bring me to heel, well, maybe as time goes on and you see the error of your ways, you can get there also. After all, global warming has been proven to be scientific fact also, hasn't it? or has it? I won't argue semantics with you. You're right, I'm wrong. Happy now? Good luck and have a safe season.
send the dog
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:24 pm

send the dog wrote:Just a theory that i happen to hold onto. If you choose to have another theory, that is completely fine with me. .

No problem. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just didn't get that impression when I read...

send the dog wrote:Soooo, by this thinking, you are assuming that everyone will be shooting drakes???? No, that is not what i am saying. There will always be plenty of suzie killers out there, however, for those of us that are able to identify what we shoot and have been doing this for a while, i believe that we should be the responsible ones to target drakes only. We will then compensate for a large number of hunters that don't know, don't care, or are too stupid to figure it out. Example: taking a youngster out for the youth hunt, you would probably let them shoot at anything, and they end up with 3 hen wood-ducks. You gou out opening day and just want to kill ducks, you shoot the first 3 that present a shot, you end up with 3 hen wood-ducks. That produces a hen/drake ratio of 6/0. You keep up with this mentality and there will be no ducks to shoot. Shooting drakes only is a goal and an elevated level in this sport. Not everyone will graduate to this level, so i encourage the ones who have to shoot only drakes, henceforth, compensating for the ones who don't. That is called conservation.

...almost seemed like you had a problem with it.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:30 pm

Wonderful usage of the highlight feature.

If killing hens was such a big problem then they wouldn't allow any hens to be shot. Or only one per day. If I'm not shooting more hens than allowed I figure it's all good. I'll let the professionals handle the conservation, I'll just have a good time.

Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:11 am

Pigeonator35 wrote:I agree. There's nothing wrong with shooting hens if only drakes are shot youll end up with a male to female ratio that is terrible. Drakes mate with a single hen each year, this could be a different hen from breeding season to breeding season but it is a single hen per season (seasonal monogamy). Thus if we were to shoot only drakes hens would find themselves without mates and there for not produce ducklings. That philosophy that if we only shoot drakes there will be more ducks is completely false. In reality your going to want a 1/1 ratio to produce the largest number of ducklings.

and on what planet does this take place?????
mallard drakes are second only to a marine on shore leave in randiness stakes :oops: :oops:
they will mate with nearly anything with webbed feet (so look out if you are scuba diving)
yip they pair up ours are doing it now but we also see the gang bangers mobbing any hen they can chase down 5-6 drakes all after the same hen. how often do you see dad looking after the ducklings???? parrie ducks yes but not mallards. and even parries which are spoused to mate for life will pair up with another if mate dies.
our laws state 90 yards from another stand without their permission....200yrds is too close unless you all play ball.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby send the dog » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:14 am

Trent_Rivers wrote:Wonderful usage of the highlight feature.

If killing hens was such a big problem then they wouldn't allow any hens to be shot. Or only one per day. If I'm not shooting more hens than allowed I figure it's all good. I'll let the professionals handle the conservation, I'll just have a good time.

In Wisconsin, you are only allowed one hen mallard per day.
send the dog
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:43 am

send the dog wrote:In Wisconsin, you are only allowed one hen mallard per day.

Many states have gone to 2 hens.

Quite a turn around from the point system days where plugging a hen pretty much meant it was time to go in.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Deuce22 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:45 am

I think this thread has inspired me to ensure I include at least 1 hen in my daily bag of six...

Elitism and dualistic thinking are the biggest downfall in the hunting community...
Deuce22
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:46 am

Do it. The crock pot doesn't know the difference.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:22 am

In Arkansas it is two hens. But since it's only one in your state it seems like you have even less to worry about man. A six man limit still only has the potential of six hens for 18 drakes.

Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby mikeg1005 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:46 am

send the dog wrote:Just a theory that i happen to hold onto. If you choose to have another theory, that is completely fine with me. As far as being a self rightous prick who doesn't let empirically gathered scientific data bring me to heel, well, maybe as time goes on and you see the error of your ways, you can get there also. After all, global warming has been proven to be scientific fact also, hasn't it? or has it? I won't argue semantics with you. You're right, I'm wrong. Happy now? Good luck and have a safe season.

I take it you are also the guy that says only shoot bucks in the woods because shooting the does means less deer... but only the really big bucks... let the little ones grow up.

You theory is based on some personal moral superiority that you have for only shooting drakes. The bag limits for hens are set up by people who for a living determine the health/population/future of migratory birds and other game. When they say that 1 hen is allowable... then you can be sure that you aren't going to destroy the world's population of mallards as a result of shooting one.

mikeg1005
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:46 am

Killing hens or drakes has no effect on the population of ducks. That is not a theory, it is a fact. The past 20 years of hen limits on mallards has not changed average duck production one bit. Mallard populations fluctuate just like every other species that does not have sex limit.

Drake mallards are also notorious gangbangers if you watch them in the spring chasing the hens around the ponds. Hell, half the time they are getting ready to give it to each other before one runs off. This is also a fact, not a theory.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby merlyn » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:35 pm

how did a post about close setting up turn into a bar fight about shooting hens? i watched the video and saw three young guys
with a passion for duck hunting BUT lacked the education in what (i think) makes a responsible, ethical hunter.They were proud
of their hunt and didnt even realize they did some questionable things. hopefully they learn from the responses and become better
hunters. if they dont -beat them with a stick, take their money and credit cards and take a video of that.

love and kisses, mom
merlyn
hunter

Postby send the dog » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:37 pm

Bill Herian wrote:
send the dog wrote:In Wisconsin, you are only allowed one hen mallard per day.

Many states have gone to 2 hens.

Quite a turn around from the point system days where plugging a hen pretty much meant it was time to go in.

Isn't that the truth, and i'd hate to have to go back to that point system. And tell me again how we got to that point system in the first place?
send the dog
hunter

Postby send the dog » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:46 pm

mikeg1005 wrote:
send the dog wrote:Just a theory that i happen to hold onto. If you choose to have another theory, that is completely fine with me. As far as being a self rightous prick who doesn't let empirically gathered scientific data bring me to heel, well, maybe as time goes on and you see the error of your ways, you can get there also. After all, global warming has been proven to be scientific fact also, hasn't it? or has it? I won't argue semantics with you. You're right, I'm wrong. Happy now? Good luck and have a safe season.

I take it you are also the guy that says only shoot bucks in the woods because shooting the does means less deer... but only the really big bucks... let the little ones grow up.

You theory is based on some personal moral superiority that you have for only shooting drakes. The bag limits for hens are set up by people who for a living determine the health/population/future of migratory birds and other game. When they say that 1 hen is allowable... then you can be sure that you aren't going to destroy the world's population of mallards as a result of shooting one.

The people that determine the health, population, and future for migratory game birds and other game also work for the government. I don't know about you, but, i don't put a whole lot of faith in a government that i do not trust. If you believe everything that they tell you, so be it. I am completely fine with WI's one hen mallard law and think other states should follow. If you really want to talk deer hunting, that's fine with me too. My personal moral superiority allows for that.
send the dog
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:18 am

send the dog wrote:Isn't that the truth, and i'd hate to have to go back to that point system. And tell me again how we got to that point system in the first place?

We got to the point system by taking a wrong turn. When we figured out that it was easy to cheat and wasn't benefiting the ducks even if hunters were honest, we scraped it. That's my take anyway, you tell me, you were there.

Fast forward to today, where populations are doing well in spite of all the suzie killers shooting not one, but in many states, two hens.

Once we figured out that drake/hen ratios don't factor into the equation, managing ducks became a whole lot simpler. Breeding habitat is everything. It dosen't matter how many hens you have nesting, if they are trying to bring up broods on low quality nesting sites, you end up with less ducks.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:28 am

If I am there first one there I like 300 yards of spacing minimum. If I am not first I don't mind if I have someone setup a little bit upwind, saves me the hassle of putting decoys out.
beretta24
State Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting