Why hunt with the crowds?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Why hunt with the crowds?

Postby gatorsnagger » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:26 pm

Okay, so reading the last post lead me to this one...
Why hunt in areas that are packed with a bunch of people all trying to pass shoot the same flocks of ducks? It seems that with a little scouting and patience you can get off the beaten path and into some really good duck potholes within about 30-45 minute ride of anywhere in the state.
I pick my poison... I would rather wake up at 3 a.m. and make a 2 hour drive to a nice lake in the country, than wake up at 4:30 a.m. and have to line up at the boat launch and bump into other people's search lights all morning. You might get the same amount of shots or only half the shots but the overall experience is better.
gatorsnagger
hunter

Re: Why hunt with the crowds?

Postby fish'n'shoot » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:40 pm

Amen
fish'n'shoot
hunter

Postby GREENHEAD777 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:06 pm

This is the difference between good duck hunters and well not so good duck hunters. I was brought up on that "just show up at the launch and pick a spot" mentality and the day I could start going on my own I changed that. Putting in the effort and preparation is key to a successful hunt and is that much more rewarding when you achieve what you set out to do.
GREENHEAD777
hunter

Postby marktank » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:16 pm

Hunting secret holes is the best. I try to get as far away from people as possible. There have been many times that I am sure people have heard my gunshots and said, "I wonder where that was?". I scout from ice off in te spring and all throughout duck season.
marktank
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting