Opening Morning Question

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Opening Morning Question

Postby Winchester82 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:44 am

Due to a number of different circumstances (new baby, new job, etc.) I have not had the time to get out and do much scouting this year. Initially, because of this I was going to sit out opening morning, but now that it is two days away the thought of missing out is killing me.

I live in the Milwaukee area so I am mostly limited to public spots that get heavy pressure. This is only my third season and I do not have a boat so I have yet to find any great spots "off the beaten path". That being said, I would like to try a new spot opening morning but it's one that I have not had a chance to scout (other than on Google earth). I don't think there will be as much pressure as my old spots (I could be wrong though). I'm thinking my plan will be to show up at first light so I am not stumbling around in the dark and hope I can find a spot far enough away from anyone else. I am fully prepared to get back in my truck and drive home if I can't find enough space...I will not set up on top of anyone else and potentially ruin a hunt for someone who has worked harder and showed up earlier than me. Ethics are very important to me. That being said, am I better off waiting until the afternoon to head out so I am not fumbling around at first light, etc.??

I realize my chances of a successful hunt aren't real high since I have no idea if this area is even holding birds, but it's more about just getting outdoors with my dog for a bit. Also, any pointers on opening morning decoy spreads are welcomed! Thanks!
Winchester82
hunter

Re: Opening Morning Question

Postby RookieJ » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:10 am

Since opening doesn't start til 9 I'd say you are safe to be stumbling around until an hour or so before that. I don't want to restart the blind argument but in my opinion opening day is a day to definitely steer clear of other people's blinds if you find them.

As for spread I have been seeing a lot of teal and woodies lately and not as many mallards. I'm throwing out a dozen mallards (mostly hens maybe 2 drakes), a dozen teal and a few woodies. Its early season and that is the only reason I am contemplating the mojos right now...

Good luck!
There will be blood!
RookieJ
hunter

Re: Opening Morning Question

Postby smanwisc » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:19 pm

Less is more with these warm temps. Dozen decoys is more than enough. I set out the old/faded ones due to the fact that the birds are not fully plumed and a nice shiny new decoy will look out of place. My set is 2 woodies, 4 teal, and 6 mallards. Keep them away from each other in loose groups. Good luck.
smanwisc
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting