skybusting

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Re: skybusting

Postby Feathers » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:16 pm

Bill Herian wrote:Practice can only get you so far. The only way to learn your limits, or what shots are marginal, is to take them.

That is terrible advice and bound to create a lot of skybusters out of rookies. Steel can only kill effectively to about 40 yards. Figure out how far 40 yards is. Go to a football field if you have to. Use land marks when you are hunting to judge distance.

Once in a while you will get "the golden bb" and drop a duck that is far out of range so telling someone to figure it out by taking marginal shots will likely create some life long skybusters.

If in question let it go. If you can't decoy enough birds to get close shots where you don't even need to question the range then you really don't deserve them. Find somewhere better to hunt or learn how to be a better hunter. Do not take long or questionable shots that may wound a bird that will not be found.

Skybusters hurt everyones hunting including themselves.

Merlyn you want to teach your grandson how to be a better hunter I suggest teaching him that hunting is not about killing or "stacking" up numbers. It is about the whole experience. Teach him to respect the resource and hunt in ways that will limit the amount of lost birds. ie shooting at birds decoying in range.
Feathers
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:43 pm

You don't learn your effective killing range on a football field, or shooting at clays.

You learn it by hitting and missing birds. The best wingshooters you know didn't get that way by shooting skeet. They got there through years of shooting and learning and growing in the field. Yes, some will be crippled. Sensible hunter learns from it and moves on. I've seen guys who might miss 6 or 7 birds in a 16 week trap season burn through a box of shells trying to kill 3 pheasants.

Feathers wrote:If in question let it go. If you can't decoy enough birds to get close shots where you don't even need to question the range then you really don't deserve them. Find somewhere better to hunt or learn how to be a better hunter. Do not take long or questionable shots that may wound a bird that will not be found.

This kind of advice creates hunters who are, hesitant, afraid, and lack confidence. Does that sound like someone who is prepared to make good shots on waterfowl?

I've gotten pretty good at knocking them down, and knowing low percentage shots when I see them. I did not learn this by having someone tell me when to shoot. Figuring this out on your own is what makes you a better hunter.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Feathers » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Bill Herian wrote:
I've gotten pretty good at knocking them down, and knowing low percentage shots when I see them. I did not learn this by having someone tell me when to shoot. Figuring this out on your own is what makes you a better hunter.

How many cripples did it take you to learn? How many lost ducks? Was it worth it? Did you feel guilty when you lost a bird on a shot taken too far or chalk it up to a learning experience?

I learned by hunting with experienced hunters who knew how to duck hunt and how to call good shots. It is pretty easy actually. I am not sure why you would have to take far shots to figure out it isn't effective. Like I said it really isn't too hard to figure out how far 40 yards is. I take most of my shots at 20-30 yards and I shoot plenty of birds. Figure out the other parts to this game and you won't need to worry about taking long shots.
Feathers
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Feathers wrote:How many cripples did it take you to learn?

Couldn't even guess. Doesn't happen too often. And I'm still learning. Plan to always be learning.

Feathers wrote:How many lost ducks?

Few enough for both hands.

Feathers wrote:Was it worth it?

You bet. You learn nothing from the bird you shoot backpedaling over the decoys 15 feet away. Those lost birds are all lessons.

Feathers wrote:Did you feel guilty when you lost a bird on a shot taken too far or chalk it up to a learning experience?

Both. If you don't feel guilty, that's bad. If you don't try to learn from it, that's worse. I can't abide someone who doesn't agree.

Feathers wrote:I learned by hunting with experienced hunters who knew how to duck hunt and how to call good shots.

And there's the problem. You were lucky to have that. Not everyone has great mentors like you did, or any mentor at all. Most guys getting into this sport, have to make mistakes in order to learn. Without that guidance, you probably would have been one of those know-nothing morons you talk down about. Get off your high horse, its not so bad down here.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Deuce22 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:30 pm

Feathers wrote:
I learned by hunting with experienced hunters who knew how to duck hunt and how to call good shots.

Because this happens so often for those of us who aren't fortunate enough to have close family or friends that fits in that category.
Deuce22
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:58 am

Bill Herian wrote:...but the only way to get good at killing stuff, is by killing stuff.

Wow! Interesting thread so far.

Bill, sorry but most of the comments you have stated I disagree with. There are too many to address. But, it's only my thoughts and solely mine. Regarding your above statement people will do what they are trained to do. Correct? No? Then please explain to me how many people it takes for a police officer to kill for them to get "good" at killing?!?! I see your overall theory. Honestly do, but your wording could be chosen differently.

Horrible calling will educate a bird, which will be forgotten, but misses at 45+ yards will forever deter that bird from returning. At 15-16 years old I learned sky busting wasn't cheap for the amount of birds I didn't harvest. Lesson learned, but by a different method. Not until later did the puzzle finish when I actually got to see birds finish. Birds finishing can't be compared to anything. It's a drug. But, I don't hunt with you and I don't know your techniques.

Losing birds is a horrendous feeling. It's not lost number or maybe a potential band. It's lost meat and the circle of life. I commend you for being able to count how many birds you lost in your duck career on two hands. I don't count my limits anymore. I count how many birds I have lost each season so I don't forget it.
Last edited by KillerKowalski on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:59 am

Deuce22 wrote:
Feathers wrote:
I learned by hunting with experienced hunters who knew how to duck hunt and how to call good shots.

Because this happens so often for those of us who aren't fortunate enough to have close family or friends that fits in that category.

It can happen. People are all around you willing and ready to mentor hunters. You just need to over turn stones.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:24 am

grandpa always taught. " if u are finding yourself taking shots past 35 yards. Then you must be doing something wrong"
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby Feathers » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:42 am

KillerKowalski wrote:
Deuce22 wrote:
Feathers wrote:

It can happen. People are all around you willing and ready to mentor hunters. You just need to over turn stones.

This.

I have taken out plenty of rookies. All they had to do was ask. Lesson number one is shooting range. A newbie will understand what is considered skybusting after one hunt. It is pretty easy to teach someone how far 35-40 yards is.
Feathers
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:24 am

KillerKowalski wrote: Then please explain to me how many people it takes for a police officer to kill for them to get "good" at killing?!?!

How many people does a police officer want to kill? Does someone become a police officer because they want to get good at killing? I don't know a single police officer who wants to shoot anybody. They may strive to master their weapon, but no cop goes to work thinking "I hope I get to use my gun today!"

Just so happens, however, that every waterfowler I know is trying to kill birds, and wants to get better at it.

You need to rework your analogy, big time.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:30 am

Bill Herian wrote:
KillerKowalski wrote: Then please explain to me how many people it takes for a police officer to kill for them to get "good" at killing?!?!

How many people does a police officer want to kill? Does someone become a police officer because they want to get good at killing? I don't know a single police officer who wants to shoot anybody. They may strive to master their weapon, but no cop goes to work thinking "I hope I get to use my gun today!"

You are missing the theory. Police officers will rely on their training during excessive force situations. You are contradicting yourself. Please reread your earlier posts. I rather not quote since we aren't in the court room.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:35 am

I'm not seeing the similarity between a police officer relying on training to do something he/she has never done before, and someone learning how to reliably kill a duck stone dead time after time.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:39 am

Are you saying that because a police officer has training they are able to handle a situation they are not familiar with? Therefore, with training, you can know how to reliably kill a duck before the opportunity presents itself?

Just trying to get what you're saying.

Gotta go to school. I'll reply when I get back.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby DKMF » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:07 pm

Drop the police officer thing Bill, you obviously missed the point. And you are still in school...this thread needs to end. Young and dumb
DKMF
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:22 pm

I'm just trying to wring a little wisdom out of you guys. Guess there's none to spare.

DKMF wrote:this thread needs to end.

A forum where everybody agrees with each other get old fast. Better to hash out topics like this and keeps things lively.

Have a safe season :beer:
Bill Herian
hunter

Previous

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting