Local numbers sure seem low...

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Local numbers sure seem low...

Postby muskyduck » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Any one else notice this on ducks? I've been out 12 days and have very little to show for. Hunting the Wisconsin River, tried 6 different stretches and all my tried-and-true spots. Only did good opening weekend. Woody numbers are especially low.

Just a low year? More hunters and birds getting shot up? Increased bag limits last year effecting numbers?
My particular opinion it is a little of all the above, but more importantly bad nesting and predation. Most family groups in the summer I noticed were small. In my area we had an extremely wet and rainy spring, causing the rivers creeks to expand deep into the woods and islands. June and July the rains stopped causing the water to recede significantly. Nests became too far from the water's edge (several 100's of yards in some areas). This in turn made for quite a longer journey for the ducklings to get to the water safety of water. A lot of weasel, mink, fisher, raccoon, possum, hawk, fox, owl, coyote, and many others along the way. Easy pickings!

Anybody out a lot that is seeing the same thing compared to the past couple years?
muskyduck
hunter

Re: Local numbers sure seem low...

Postby Rhock19 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:12 pm

agreed, but i also think we saw more birds last year from the drought. they had to go to bigger bodies of water with everything being dried up. i was on petenwell this past weekend and saw nothing. birds will push with a north wind and itll all get better :)

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2
Rhock19
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:23 pm

Rhock19 wrote:agreed, but i also think we saw more birds last year from the drought. they had to go to bigger bodies of water with everything being dried up. i was on petenwell this past weekend and saw nothing. birds will push with a north wind and itll all get better :)

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Valid point!
muskyduck
hunter

Postby 'JaminC'mon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:38 am

I second predation. Down the road from my house we had a family of wood ducks on a small .25 ac pond that started out with 6 ducklings. It seemed like each time driving by there was 1 less until it was just the hen left that we still see hanging around. We are fairly certain it was the hawks in the area picking them off. It definitely wasn't fish because they have drained that pond a couple times in the last 15 years to irrigate fields.

I also noticed in the park in town, holding 40+ geese each winter and slightly more mallards, that several pairs did not have nests this year. I only found 5 different families of geese which seems really low for that many locals being there. I would have to say that is because of the cold/wet spring we had. There are very few predators in that area to have that be the reason, in my opinion.
'JaminC'mon
hunter

Postby gatorsnagger » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:47 am

I'm seeing more wood ducks than ever up in the northern counties. The increased fur prices really had the trappers out in full force last winter in our areas so predation is a very small factor here. Our ponds are about half foot higher this year so the ducks are hitting the tubers and shoots pretty good in the floating bogs.
gatorsnagger
hunter

Postby mikeg1005 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:45 am

I've been watching the weather in northern WI, MN, south parts of Canada... its been really warm. I'm guessing we haven't seen much move down yet... just storms blowing around local ducks?
mikeg1005
hunter

Postby gatorsnagger » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:15 am

I heard mid-Minnesota was pretty hot this weekend on bluebills & ringnecks. Started seeing some decent flocks of geese headed south with the low nighttime temps.
gatorsnagger
hunter

Postby mikeg1005 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:47 am

gatorsnagger wrote:I heard mid-Minnesota was pretty hot this weekend on bluebills & ringnecks. Started seeing some decent flocks of geese headed south with the low nighttime temps.

Good to hear.. hopefully the rest of Oct. picks up.
mikeg1005
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting