river hunting

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

river hunting

Postby redneck12350 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:21 pm

hi yall i have never hunted a river before but i would like to start. i live in south east wisconsin and the river is 30 feet wide and where i am max 4 feet deep. does anybody have any tips or could get me started or brief me? I dont know anything about river hunting but i do a ton of pond hunting so i need help.
thank you.
redneck12350
hunter

Re: river hunting

Postby BurnettGunner » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:10 am

I would wait for a freeze on the ponds before putting much time into a river of that size. Then set up near a bend with a big sediment wash area and let the fun start. It really pays to float the river in a canoe at about 9 a.m. to see where the birds like to land as well.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby SDMF » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:29 am

Rivers are better when it gets colder, ie, when other spots start to freeze. also with current in a river you may need bigger decoy anchors for current..Don't know how swift the river is your hunting . but keep in mind the current. Best of Luck ! I Hunt rivers alot . they can be really good when its cold!
Team Rasputin: NEVER SAY DIE
SDMF
hunter

Postby wackem' n stackem' » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:17 am

Rivers are better once it gets cold and ponds start to freeze like previously said only other thing i would add is to try and find a spring that stays open even when the river starts to freeze i lucked out and that on my families property.. When i hunt it i bring no more than 6 floaters and about a dozen full bodies to put on the ice and hang on cuz its gonna be a wild hunt. Otherwise hunting rivers mid season in my area can be hit and miss find a loafing spot and and setup mudflats, little nooks and crannies, etc. no more than a dozen decoys and i leave my mojos in the truck my experience they do more harm than good on the river.
wackem' n stackem'
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting