ringnecks/ringbills yet? field reports Boulder Jncn?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

ringnecks/ringbills yet? field reports Boulder Jncn?

Postby loon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:50 am

Im going to hunt in the Boulder Junction area this wknd Oct 11 to 13th just wondering if anybody is seeing any divers yet? Its been so warm . any field reports?
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Re: ringnecks/ringbills yet? field reports Boulder Jncn?

Postby BurnettGunner » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:49 am

Bluebills and ringnecks were moving into the middle of Minnesota pretty hard last weekend. I didn't see anything but wood ducks and teal in Douglas and Burnett counties though. I would not expect divers in your neck of the woods for at least another 10 days.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby loon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:58 pm

anybody huntin up there this week? last wknd ? damn this 70degree weather :mad: i was hopin the snow in the dakotas and further north might move some thru
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby BurnettGunner » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:16 pm

I will be hunting this weekend. Cold front starts on Saturday so that will help. By Tuesday the high is in the 30's for much of Minnesota and Wisconsin. Weekend after this one coming we should start to see some good things happening.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby 'JaminC'mon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:28 pm

You might see some low numbers of divers. In my area in central WI, I saw 3 bluebills, 5 redheads, and a canvasback yesterday on the city ponds. We shouldn't have divers in our area because of a small number of bodies of water but we've been seeing some already. I saw another hen diver all by itself on the pond that I don't know what it was. It may have been a ruddy duck which is extremely rare for this area.

We've also been seeing snow geese which is strange. Usually we don't see them until the last few weeks of season and it's usually only a couple that got blown off course. Monday night we had 6 fly over mixed in with Canadas. Tuesday morning I managed to drop a snow out of a flock of Canadas heading back to the refuge/city ponds.

There's also been coot and grebes on the city ponds which is the first time I can ever remember seeing them here. So overall, it's been a really strange season so far.
'JaminC'mon
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting