Mississippi River Access...

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Mississippi River Access...

Postby schumacherm » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:09 pm

anyone been doing any scouting lately and ran into these signs yet? there was a barricade and this sign sitting off to the side of the launch today when we went scouting on the mississippi.
Attachments
closed ramp sign.jpg
schumacherm
hunter

Re: Mississippi River Access...

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:24 pm

does this mean the launch is closed? i thought they were state owned...

Team Quackout
Rhock19
hunter

Postby PatCies83 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:58 pm

What pool were you on?
PatCies83
hunter

Postby schumacherm » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:35 pm

pool 11, just north of dubuque, We were at the lynn hollow launch if you know where that is.
schumacherm
hunter

Postby send the dog » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Some landings are privately owned, some are on state property, and some are "managed" by the US fish and wildlife. The landings that are "managed" by the USFW will have that sign on them, which apparently carry a fine if used. From what i have researched, as long as you do not use the "fed's" landings, you will not get a ticket. The chief warden of WI is quoted as saying, "as far as we are concerned, it is business as usual. You just may not be allowed to use certain landings. If a federal warden attempts/gives you a ticket for hunting the upper mississippi wildlife refuge, that particular federal warden can/will be sued by the state of WI for hunter harrassment". Soooooo, as long as you don't use the "fed's" landings, all should be well.
send the dog
hunter

Postby PatCies83 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:54 pm

schumacherm wrote:pool 11, just north of dubuque, We were at the lynn hollow launch if you know where that is.

I was just out there last weekend and saw trailers at The Point and MaCartny ( sp) and no FWS signs. I will just use the Co. Park boat ramp.
PatCies83
hunter

Postby schumacherm » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:01 am

been told the macartney launch and the grant river park launch is closed up too. But also heard that the point straight outta potosi is still open.
schumacherm
hunter

Postby brad43 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:50 am

Out in the Dakotas this is also going on with the WPA. The state officials will not enforce, but they are saying that the limited federal officers (they are on bare bones staff) will enforce the closure of the WPAs. And it's not clear whether or not there they would have the ability to ticket you, since the signs says, "OPEN to HUNTING". Since they have a sign up at the boat launches on the Mississippi, you'd probably be liable.

I'm going hunting out there at the end of the month (probably the madness will be over then) - and I'm going hunting on the WPA, as I paid my taxes and bought my duck stamps - so if Barry gives me a ticket - I will claim hunter harassment, call local law enforcement, etc. And they can just send me the bill...........

This is staring to sounds a lot like communism........

Brad
brad43
hunter

Postby triggertime » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:54 am

What makes me mad about this is the fact WE BUY A FEDERAL DUCK STAMP for conservation for those boat ramps. Im in the army and in cuba and im feeling it here trust me, not letting people leave and a huge chain affect, im been waitting to here im not getting paid. I feel for the goverment employees that arnt getting paid all beacuse the people we elected cant agree on anything but yet they get paid. They serve the poeple not themselfs.
triggertime
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting