Mississippi Trip

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Mississippi Trip

Postby Makinitrain » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:20 am

Looking to make a Mississippi trip the first few weeks of November. Was looking for some general areas that are decent for hunting. Not asking anyone to give up there honey hole or spots at all, just general information on the area.
Team 1038
2012- 2013
Bands: 3
WI:
ducks: 147
Geese: 78
Makinitrain
hunter

Re: Mississippi Trip

Postby Rhock19 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:51 pm

the river or the state?

Team Quackout
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Makinitrain » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:26 pm

river, looking to go around the de soto area
Team 1038
2012- 2013
WI:
Makinitrain
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:56 am

okay are u looking for puddlers or divers?

Team Quackout
Rhock19
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:58 am

anywhere will be fine.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby Makinitrain » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:07 am

Rhock19, making a three day trip down there and looking to get into both divers and puddlers down there. Would it be worth the time to bring goose decoys?
Team 1038
2012- 2013
WI:
Makinitrain
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:19 am

depends on how much gear you want to bring out. if you want divers you want a big spread, so the less "other crap" the better IMO. but if geese are ur thing too bring em! theres really no areas so to speak of on where to hunt. if birds are in, theyll be everywhere. If i were you id google maps a spot you want to hunt the first day. then watch birds and hunt wherever seems better the next. stay up river a hair from de soto and you will see birds.

Team Quackout
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Makinitrain » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:25 am

As of right now we have two 16 ft boats going, so gear wont be an issue, would you recommend staying north of de soto or heading down to pool 9
Team 1038
2012- 2013
WI:
Makinitrain
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Id stay up north less pressure and a lot of under educated ducks.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Makinitrain » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:57 pm

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys. Appreciate it!
Team 1038
2012- 2013
WI:
Makinitrain
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Justin Weber wrote:Id stay up north less pressure and a lot of under educated ducks.

Yea way north maybe. Do you actually hunt pools 8 and 7 regularly. Easily the heaviest pressure pools. Do the math. Largest towns closest to the pools.

To the OP. Do some common sense research. Smaller towns means less pressure to a decent degree. There are a ton of guys that travel here also so regardless of where you go 9.8.7 there will be a lot of pressure. Trust me, i live here and have been hunting this river since I was a boy.

Feel free to pm me. I may give ya better info that is actually factual. I won't post anything to the public cuz this area is already a damned circus full of duck dynasty fan boys and worthless internet scouters who are to lazy to put in the time so they come on here and search.
koonce727
hunter

Postby kris brantner » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:21 am

Put some gas in the boat, grab a pr of binos and do some damn scouting. I put over 100 hrs on my mud motor last yr scouting.
kris brantner
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:01 am

koonce727 wrote:
Justin Weber wrote:Id stay up north less pressure and a lot of under educated ducks.

Yea way north maybe. Do you actually hunt pools 8 and 7 regularly. Easily the heaviest pressure pools. Do the math. Largest towns closest to the pools.

To the OP. Do some common sense research. Smaller towns means less pressure to a decent degree. There are a ton of guys that travel here also so regardless of where you go 9.8.7 there will be a lot of pressure. Trust me, i live here and have been hunting this river since I was a boy.

Feel free to pm me. I may give ya better info that is actually factual. I won't post anything to the public cuz this area is already a damned circus full of duck dynasty fan boys and worthless internet scouters who are to lazy to put in the time so they come on here and search.

I meant way north I have hunted them sorry I should have probably said Pools 7-9 are a circus.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Makinitrain » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:38 am

Kris, that's what I would normally do, but living on the complete other side of the state, I will not have the opportunity to do this until getting down there for the weekend.
Team 1038
2012- 2013
WI:
Makinitrain
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:42 pm

^. That's a good place to start vs being an internet scouter
koonce727
hunter

Postby bubba1 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:34 pm

koonce727 wrote:

I know exactly how you feel. I live in Green Bay and hunt the bay. Know how many mag. articles have been published lately about hunting divers on the bay? Way too many. Every weekend there are more and more people, last weekend, we had campers in the boat launch parking lot with out of state plates, and way too little of boats to be out in big water.

And don't even get me started about the damn guides, they take people out on public property, exploit public resources for their own gain, then the people come back, and setup right beside the guides and the rest of us. Too many people, too many boats, ducks know better, so they don't come in, so the hunters get frustrated and start taking shots they shouldn't, then everyone is sky blasting, ducks learn and the hunting sucks for all of us.

So, folks here is the deal, the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence, hunting was good a few years ago, now it is no different then the places in your back yard. If you want to hunt some place else, offer up a "swap a hunt". You'll get better hunting, you might meet some decent people and the world just might be a better place.

One last #%@$*, prep your boat in the prep area, when you move to the ramp, put your boat in the water and get the heck out of the way for the next guy. Putting a little prep work in will make the hunt better all the way around.

Man I feel better getting that off my chest.
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:43 pm

bubba1 wrote:
koonce727 wrote:

I know exactly how you feel. I live in Green Bay and hunt the bay. Know how many mag. articles have been published lately about hunting divers on the bay? Way too many. Every weekend there are more and more people, last weekend, we had campers in the boat launch parking lot with out of state plates, and way too little of boats to be out in big water.

And don't even get me started about the damn guides, they take people out on public property, exploit public resources for their own gain, then the people come back, and setup right beside the guides and the rest of us. Too many people, too many boats, ducks know better, so they don't come in, so the hunters get frustrated and start taking shots they shouldn't, then everyone is sky blasting, ducks learn and the hunting sucks for all of us.

So, folks here is the deal, the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence, hunting was good a few years ago, now it is no different then the places in your back yard. If you want to hunt some place else, offer up a "swap a hunt". You'll get better hunting, you might meet some decent people and the world just might be a better place.

One last #%@$*, prep your boat in the prep area, when you move to the ramp, put your boat in the water and get the heck out of the way for the next guy. Putting a little prep work in will make the hunt better all the way around.

Man I feel better getting that off my chest.

A-FRICKEN-MEN.I want to copy and paste this post to every thread on this site. Well done Bubba1 :clapping:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby recker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Not sure where you mean but it doesnt matter if you get north of pool 7 it has become crowded as well. Alot of them sit all day long and they skybust nonstop. Expect a zoo on the river no matter where yo go now. The new generation is around and they dont let them decoy!
recker
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting