New Layout Blnd

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

New Layout Blnd

Postby CHAP » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:48 am

Hello, I just got a brand new layout blind. Never had one before, I have heard one has to "mud it in." Any recommendations on how to do that, what to use, wet, dry mud or dirt, etc? Also, does one carry some corn stalks or whatever camo one desires to use inside the blind so the camo is handy when you go out to set up? Any guidance, recommendations are appreciated and thanks! CHAP :help:
CHAP
Newb

Re: New Layout Blnd

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:59 am

What kinda cover are you hunting first off. Regardless of that, yes you most definitely need to mud it. It has a really bad shine if you don't. Easiest way is to find a cow pond and take a broom with ya. Just lather it on nice and thick even the inside of your doors in case you leave em open while getting a dead bird. Let it bake dry in the sun. Some people like to rub most of the mud off and let camo show through, personally I just leave it on and let it slowly wear off. And yeah whatever cover you are huntin, just match that best ya can. Corn stalks, grass, timber, whatever it takes. Just make sure you ate staying the same color. Lots of guys get those ghille grass covers for their blinds in bright green grass and then go lay in a brown or black dirt corn field that's been tilled under. You stick out like a sore thumb. Just be smart about it and put in the work to make it match. It pays dividends I promise.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Re: New Layout Blnd

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:13 am

Look in the Hunting Gear forum near the top of the page. At the top of that board there is a sticky about how to do it. Walks you through it with pictures and everything.

I haven't mudded any of my blinds, and the whole thing seems kind of goofy to me. But a lot of folks do it.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Bill Herian
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting