Duck Hunting Forum banner

season change

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  koonce727 
#1 ·
I don't know the of you but I personally would love the hunting season be pushed back two.to.three weeks . If possible have it start maybe the 3nd week in October forget about hunting in September .the migration hasn't started ths only birds around are the locals and after opening weekend they wise up quick. plus with how warm its been the .couple yrs a good push of birds don't happen.until thelast 2-3 wks anyway . just wondering if everyone else felt the same way and wondering if it is possible to.try and change the season.start.and end .

#2 ·
you can attend the meeting in august when they set dates and annouce changes and voice your opinion there. Im unaware of details but it says it in the handbook where and when. I agree with you though, one week at least, preferrably two.

Team Quackout

#8 ·
Some of you are too young to remember this but on the Bay of Green Bay we had a special Blue Bill season it ran till Dec 15th. The problem in those years is was so dam cold the Bay froze tight, now in 2013 this might work. We all see the big push of birds go thru after the season closes. DNR does not care, it's all about MONEY Management.They are putting the season dates early for the Yuppy Hunters that want to put on bug dope and not Long Johns. BUNCH OF SISSYS.... :yes:

#10 ·
my dad use to talk about the black and white season after regular season closed. He said you would see.rafts upon rafts of bluebills nothing uncommon.about 200-300 in.each raft . they had a little.game they played trying unload the other person gun if.they fell asleep. personally I could care less about teal and wooducks give me.the butterballs, goldeneye and.bluebill who.come.screaming across.your decoys at what seems.to.be mach 3 . I want to kill ducks not mosquitos . I know Michigan has a.late .season the week.of new years the first two days you can shoot ducks and.the rest of the.week.geese only . why can't Wisconsin do something like.this :help:

#11 ·
Many of us have been voicing our opinion on this but It hasn't gotten us very far. Still a lot of people that attend these meetings that like this fair weather woodie and teal stuff where other like myself would rather shoot late season mallards. I got a glimpse of hope during one of the past meeting this fall when we went over the teal season. If he had an early teal season(extra days) It could potentially push the regular season dates back give us the possibility of going a week or two deeper into December while not loosing the length of the season.

I would love for a later season, Im not to big on shooting wood ducks, teal and a few local mallards for two to three weeks at the start of this earlier season we have.

#12 ·
Personally, I'd rather hunt late season but I understand there are folks who like to hunt early season for teal and woodies. The best way to make everyone happy is to open the season early for the teal / woodie guys and then have a 12 day split based on historical data that supports a lull in bird activity. This will allow opportunity for the late season guys.

#14 ·
If you go to those DNR hearings you might as well Piss in your pants. At least for a while you will get that nice warm feeling.
They have there minds made up even before you go there. DNR is filled with "Yuppys" They all know all they got to do is not Rock the Boat, :fingerpt: then turn 55 and RETIRE with full benny's, that the Joe the hunter paid for. :lol:

#16 ·
Here's my solution.

No zones.
No splits.

You can buy a statewide license that starts Sept 21st and runs for 60 days, or you can buy a license that starts Oct 21st and runs for 60 days.

Everyone is happy. The guys who want to shoot teal in T-shirts and be done by deer season, will be out of the way of the guys who want to break ice and kill northern birds. The late duck season would also give guys more time to hunt honkers.

I would really like someone to discount this idea. I can't for the life of me figure out why this wouldn't be a good thing.

War Wagon said:
If you go to those DNR hearings you might as well Piss in your pants. At least for a while you will get that nice warm feeling.
They have there minds made up even before you go there. DNR is filled with "Yuppys" They all know all they got to do is not Rock the Boat, :fingerpt: then turn 55 and RETIRE with full benny's, that the Joe the hunter paid for. :lol:
Generally I agree with this, but just to humor me, bring this up at your hearing, it would be interesting to see what happens if they hear the same thing at different hearings across the state.

#17 ·
War Wagon said:
I agree that it is mostly wasted breath on deaf ears, but I would rather sit there and piss in my pants than sit at home on the computer thumbing my rectum complaining in a fashion that is guaranteed to not to a damned bit of good. If more people actually showed to these meetings in good numbers we "may" have a better outcome, doubtful but its still a better chance than sitting at home. Too many have the "nothing will change I'm wasting my time" mentality and then come on here and wine as tho that is actually going to help the outcome they are looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.