Duck Hunting Forum banner

Did everyone pack up?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Rhock19 
#1 ·
Anybody pack it up for the year after the big freeze?

#5 ·
Hell no ill be out till its over no matter what if I can't break my way thru ill bring the chainsaw if its too thick for that ill bring a tarp and set deeks on it broke out launch yesterday and a path to my spot after boat was in then a hole there by evening the majority of that side of the lake opened up if it stays windy your hole will mostly stay open good luck I know the ice fishermen were probaby pissed like ill be fishin by thanksgivin then here I come doin hot laps breakin all the ice ha :hi:

#7 ·
Had a great day yesterday, had to bust through large frozen sections of the river to get to my spot, but had a successful morning of shooting! Not as many geese (?), but a bunch of mallards.

Broke a large section of ice in the back-water hole, but it promptly froze over again within 30 min! I still had mallards touching down right next to the frozen decoys though! Do people ever put field decoys on the ice? I saw one guy do that last year - any success with that?

Only problem with the river - sections of ice kept floating down and catching the decoy lines and dragging them down stream!

#10 ·
I did not go out this weekend with cold and snow coming down. :crying: So I had to get a Christmass tree and off I went. On my way out the tree farm around 11 am there they were, Longnecks flying in this snow, I had to follow them and they were just piling into a corn field. It was real like a painting, snow coming down and birds just dumping in. Only thing missing was me in a layout blind.

#12 ·
War Wagon said:
I did not go out this weekend with cold and snow coming down. :crying: So I had to get a Christmass tree and off I went. On my way out the tree farm around 11 am there they were, Longnecks flying in this snow, I had to follow them and they were just piling into a corn field. It was real like a painting, snow coming down and birds just dumping in. Only thing missing was me in a layout blind.
If it's any consolation, those same birds will probably be eating popcorn out of the hand of same bow-legged flatlander all winter.

Was that in your painting?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.