Custom boat builders?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Custom boat builders?

Postby quack-quack » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:37 pm

Hey guys, anyone know of any custom boat builders up here or within a state away?
I'm not too needy but I can't find what in looking for in any boat , except to pay for a gator trax or beavertail kinda boat!
Thanks in advance
quack-quack
hunter

Re: Custom boat builders?

Postby goosie119 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:39 pm

http://phowlerboatcompany.com/

Phowler Boats in Clinton IA. I got an 1856 Extreme from Paul and the gang this year and love it. You can add or subtract options, and they'll build you anything you can think of.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

If you have your kill counts in your signature then you're automatically a dbag!
goosie119
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Alweld is also in Iowa. I dont have one but a buddy just got one and likes it. I think those are the only two around, could be wrong tho
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:52 pm

scratch that I think its just a dealer
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Johnny-O » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:42 am

Big thumbs up to Phowler in Iowa. Picked up a 1744 Prowler Extreme this year and love it. Fantastic company to work with!
Johnny-O
hunter

Postby PatCies83 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:24 am

SW-Marine Cedar Rapids Iowa. I have a Prowler and a buddy of mine has a boat from SW-Marine. PM if you have question about either.
PatCies83
hunter

Postby quack-quack » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:52 pm

ok great, ill look into that, thanks!

Now if I do stick to a standard jon boat, how much would I be looking to have a welder ad a reasonable thickness sheet to the ribbed floor and weld it all in ?
quack-quack
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:26 pm

quack-quack wrote:ok great, ill look into that, thanks!

Now if I do stick to a standard jon boat, how much would I be looking to have a welder ad a reasonable thickness sheet to the ribbed floor and weld it all in ?

This is why I found a boat and had a rebuild done. Used to be a standard 16' Landau Jon with the benches. I laid out what I wanted, purchased the aluminum to raise the floor (to allow for pedestal bases) and put aluminum sheeting down. I cut everything, had a guy weld it up, then put down Herculiner and painted. $600 for aluminum and paint, $200 for welding.
Attachments
1240429_10151884848567206_1015537229_n.jpg
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:08 pm

^^^That seems about average. material is what os going to hurt the pocket book. still will be cheaper than buying an expensive boat with it all in tho
Rhock19
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:14 pm

Rhock19 wrote:^^^That seems about average. material is what os going to hurt the pocket book. still will be cheaper than buying an expensive boat with it all in tho

Just to give you an idea..... By the time I was all done..... boat, trailer, outboard, paint, aluminum, welding, pedestal seats and bases (3 total)..... the cost came out to $2800. Much cheaper then buying the manufactured boat, and I got it how I wanted it. :thumbsup:
muskyduck
hunter

Postby FFT » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Uncle j

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby marktank » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:02 pm

I understand that is much cheaper than a gator trax or uncle j, but the durability and quality is not there.
marktank
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:27 pm

All depends on what you hunt I guess. Though, you are right about the durability. But still, I was breaking through 2" of ice all last week with mine and have been doing that for years with my previous boat. Unless you plan on jumping dikes or driving through rapids, the extra thick hulls can end up being just added weight.
For me, wasn't worth it.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Those are some cool looking boats. I never heard of Phowler before. Not sure I'd wan't to be in one of those in some of the water I hunt though. Anyone use this type of boat in rough water? I've never really used a jon boat. Even that Phowler big water model looks a little too low up front for my needs.

I know a Canadian company in Ontario that makes some nice rigs.

http://www.bankesboats.com/openwater.htm

Got my eye on the Titan, if I ever sink my panga boat.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby goosie119 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:35 pm

I've got 22" sides on my 1856. I've had it in 3' rollers on Winnebago and it was just fine. It's no different than any other boat, you need to know the boats limitations and how to drive it SAFELY in windy/rough conditions. I'm sure if you wanted a boat with 4' sides Paul and the crew could make it happen, the guys that run their big water series run Lake Michigan so they're built to handle rough water.

That's fine if a standard jon will suffice for your hunting areas, some of the areas I hunt have old fenceposts under the water as well as the occasional stump or downed tree. I followed my buddy into a hole we call the beaver pond, you have to slide over a big deadfall oak that's under water a foot or so. You've gotta hit it with a little speed or you'll get hung up going over so my buddy slides over in his .100 standard jon and hooks the crap out of his bottom. I slid right over in my .125 hull with longitudinal runners without a problem and no damage to the hull. At the end of the day you get what you pay for, it's your money spend it how you see fit. I like having nice things and doing it right the first time and buying what you want instead of something that will suffice. It might be a little more expensive up front but it pays off in the long run when you've got a boat that will last longer than you will...
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

If you have your kill counts in your signature then you're automatically a dbag!
goosie119
hunter

Postby quack-quack » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:13 am

Good points..
I think I found a good strong Jon. It is exactly what I want but has no floors, just has the ribs showings. Anyone have any idea on how much it would cost to have a welder weld in a floor, with material? And any recommendations in SE WI?
quack-quack
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:39 am

quack-quack wrote:Good points..
I think I found a good strong Jon. It is exactly what I want but has no floors, just has the ribs showings. Anyone have any idea on how much it would cost to have a welder weld in a floor, with material? And any recommendations in SE WI?

That would depend on a few things. How much material, how many places you want it welded in. I'd go for brackets rather than welding the floor right to the boat. That way you can pull it up for future mods or repairs.

My buddy is a pro-welder, aluminium welding can be tough, but he's suggested I rent a machine and go for it in the past, there is a learning curve like anything else.

In Quebec, I'd expect to pay around $1000 cdn for a job like that, done by a pro. Though you could do it yourself for around $200-$300.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:19 pm

quack-quack wrote:Good points..

Mine was $800 including material. Welding was around $300. I had a lot of C channel put in to raise the floor 1.5". On my 16' it was roughly 128"x52”x.100” aluminum sheeting and qty. of 15, 50"x1.5"x1.5” aluminum C channel. I did all the cutting and prep work which kept cost down as well.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:58 am

.100" 5086 alum is $195 per 96"x48" sheet at alro right now. Im picking me up some for a new floor and hunt deck :grin:
Rhock19
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting