Duck Count?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Re: Duck Count?

Postby Drakenstien » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:01 am

BurnettGunner wrote:I don't keep a kill count but I do keep a shell count. In the last 3 years I have fired exactly 53 rounds.

Another stat I keep track of is price per pound of all game meat that goes in my freezer. Last tally was $416/lb.

You ought to start deer hunting or something to get that cost down. I know I spend a lot of money but I bought a boat this year and my season ain't been open 4 weeks and mine has to be lower than that. I'm thinking like $20 a pound and I still got 4 does to take out of my boat and hogs. Not saying that I'll take that many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drakenstien
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:34 am

Coot isn't my first choice for eating but you smother it down long enough in some French onion soup mix and you can get it tasting pretty good. Reminds me a lot of wild hog for some reason but more tender. We had a bunch of coots on the lake this year and you can just have someone on the bow of the canoe shooting as you paddle into them and get as many as you want.
It is good sport for my niece to head shot em with the .410, she enjoys it. It helps to round out the October days where I don't see a single duck flying in the morning.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:46 am

Drakenstien wrote:
BurnettGunner wrote:I don't keep a kill count but I do keep a shell count. In the last 3 years I have fired exactly 53 rounds.

Another stat I keep track of is price per pound of all game meat that goes in my freezer. Last tally was $416/lb.

You ought to start deer hunting or something to get that cost down. I know I spend a lot of money but I bought a boat this year and my season ain't been open 4 weeks and mine has to be lower than that. I'm thinking like $20 a pound and I still got 4 does to take out of my boat and hogs. Not saying that I'll take that many.

I added in the 60 lbs of deer meat. If all I did was deer hunt I would come out way ahead. Here is what I need for deer hunting - rifle/6 rds of 7mag ammo/long underwear/orange vest/license/gas/truck.

It is the duck hunting that brings the total up quick. Boat/motor/maintenance/trailer lights/licenses/ammo/gas/truck/shotgun/decoys/calls/blind bags/decoy bags/anchors/pushpole/blind/blind grass/canoe/paddles/knives/vacuum sealer/hotel stays/camo clothing/headlight/spotlight/12v battery/spray paint/choke tubes/life jackets/waders. The math doesn't make any sense for duck hunting but I really enjoy it and consider the meat a real delicacy.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:27 am

BurnettGunner wrote:
Drakenstien wrote:

I added in the 60 lbs of deer meat. If all I did was deer hunt I would come out way ahead. Here is what I need for deer hunting - rifle/6 rds of 7mag ammo/long underwear/orange vest/license/gas/truck.

It is the duck hunting that brings the total up quick. Boat/motor/maintenance/trailer lights/licenses/ammo/gas/truck/shotgun/decoys/calls/blind bags/decoy bags/anchors/pushpole/blind/blind grass/canoe/paddles/knives/vacuum sealer/hotel stays/camo clothing/headlight/spotlight/12v battery/spray paint/choke tubes/life jackets/waders. The math doesn't make any sense for duck hunting but I really enjoy it and consider the meat a real delicacy.

I know what you mean, I hunt both about the same amount of time. I also hunt a lot. In the last 30 days, Iv hunted 24. But, I'm lucky, I live on the water, it takes a less time to launch my boat or just leave my house than it does to drive a truck to deer/hog hunt. But my number is probably a little higher not much though. I guess the more days you hunt and the bigger and more game you get the price goes down.

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:01 am

Yeah, my cousin out west buys a $40 license, shoots 3 shells and ends up with 250 lbs of elk meat.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Previous

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting