Feral Pigs

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Feral Pigs

Postby Justin Weber » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:39 am

Just got confirmation from DNR that I shot 2 feral pigs. Shot them in Cottage Grove, WI. Guess their the first documented feral pigs shot in Dane County. Wondering if anybody else has been seeing/shooting them in Wisconsin?
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Re: Feral Pigs

Postby 'JaminC'mon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:03 am

Thankfully, no, we don't have any in the Marshfield area that I'm aware of, although I wouldn't mind bumping off a couple for some nice meat.
'JaminC'mon
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:11 am

Their telling me that people are getting sick from them. I just dumped them.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:34 pm

You must be the guy they were talking about that shot 2 in the Wisconsin Outdoor News I read yesterday. It is too bad you didn't get more snow like we have up here. 30 inches of snow with subzero temps like we've been having would probably wipe them right out unless they are Russian strain. Good luck with that, keep blasting.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby 'JaminC'mon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:20 pm

Justin Weber wrote:Their telling me that people are getting sick from them. I just dumped them.

You're kidding?!?!? I hadn't heard that. Good to know. :thumbsup:
'JaminC'mon
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:23 pm

I know of a few that have been shot. Two last year or the year before around Victory, WI and a few more have been spotted by hunters in this same general area(or so the bar talk says so)

There was another one shot a few years back between Prairie Du chien and Victory that weighed just over 240lbs.

I was told by some local Prairie Folks that years back there was a pig farmer down there who got caught by the DNR releasing pigs into the wild.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby send the dog » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:39 pm

Justin Weber wrote:Their telling me that people are getting sick from them. I just dumped them.

Dumped them? like, you shot and killed them? or, shot and killed them and then just dumped and wasted them? My buddy got one a few years ago, prairie du chein area, it was some of the best eats i've ever had. they are tasty.
send the dog
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:13 am

I lived in Louisiana for years. My neighbors would kill pigs and I could literally smell them butchering it from 75 yards down the street. Then it smelled like a sewer while they were cooking it. Then they wanted me to try some. Hell no, I'll eat raw squirrel brain on a cracker before I took one bite of hog.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:53 pm

The hog I killed stunk, and still smelled a little funky while cooking, but it was good.
Bill Herian
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting