Hunt In SW WI- Viroqua / Richland Area?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Hunt In SW WI- Viroqua / Richland Area?

Postby mf66 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:42 am

Grew up in Louisiana and wanting to get my kids into duck hunting. Took one son pheasant hunting last week and he is hooked. Nice to get a 13yr old into hunting. Live in Chicago but have a farm near Viroqua and spend a lot of time up there. Lame city dweller so no boat and no dog. Not looking for any secret spots and won't share when i find them. :lol:

Mississippi- Have done a hunt here with a guide. Good day. Lots of hunters and skybusters. So much water is it more fly by shooting than I am used to. Assume a boat is necessary?

Kickapoo river- near Bell center or Wauzeka. Public land but does anyone have any advice here?

Wi River- Near Boscobel over to Lone Rock. Open water when it gets cold, Assume a boat is mandatory?

Pine River- Near Gotham? Looks to be a marshy area? Any advice here?

Anything else I am missing? Would love to get out and shoot next year.

Thanks.
mf66
Newb

Re: Hunt In SW WI- Viroqua / Richland Area?

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:56 pm

Boat isnt necessary on the Mississippi. Weve had plenty of great days walking out. Just gotta get bino time in and you'll find em.

those were a few hunting trips at walkout spots. decoys carried by a boat though.
Rhock19
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:11 am

pm'd
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby mf66 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:30 am

Thanks for the photos and feedback. Now i just need get off my ass and start scouting.
mf66
Newb

Postby Rhock19 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:19 am

my problems always been I never had time to scout. getting off work at 5 its hard to scout for the weekend hunt. thankfully i get off at 330 now :grin:
Rhock19
hunter

Postby juuice » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:03 am

I live in Shreveport, LA but I'm planning on doing a private land hunt just outside Richland this FAll. The main purpose of my trip is to see my grandma but I wanted to get a few hunts in as well. What's the best time for Goose and Duck's up there. Also, is there any public places to duck hunt around Richland Center?
juuice
Newb

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting