What changes/ upgrades are you making this off season.

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

What changes/ upgrades are you making this off season.

Postby Simmons_WI » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:28 am

Well since it's pretty quiet here in the Wisconsin forum what changes do you plan to make in the off season.

For me since I didn't get out as much as I had hoped this last season because I focused a majority of my time on bowhunting last year trying to get my fiancé into the sport as well. I am now more anxious then ever for the next season because let's face it the wisconsin deer population sucks and it isn't going to recover in a years time so I will be focusing most my attention on waterfowl hunting more than ever. Plus we both enjoy waterfowl hunting more in general.

Changes I am going to be making:
This spring I am going to be redoing my duck boat. It's paint is starting to fade and I need to get new blind material for it.i will be posting updates for it when I get it going.

I just purchased a new shotgun stoeger m3500

Going to be purchasing a dozen more goose field decoys and a dozen duck floaters.

I would also like to find a cheap canoe since I won't always have a dog with me.

What are your plans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Simmons_WI
hunter

Re: What changes/ upgrades are you making this off season.

Postby uglymug » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:04 am

I'll be training my 3 month old American Water Spaniel all summer. Also plan on finally purchasing a good semi-auto. My 935 was nothing but problems and my 870 express supermag just doesn't fit me right. I'm also trying to find some decent places to go for hunting.
uglymug
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:40 am

adding a hunt deck to the boat, and adding reinforcements where I took seats out. I have a love/hate relationship with the off season. Love working on crap and getting prepared, Hate not being able to hunt :smile:
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Simmons_WI » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:55 am

uglymug wrote:I'll be training my 3 month old American Water Spaniel all summer. Also plan on finally purchasing a good semi-auto. My 935 was nothing but problems and my 870 express supermag just doesn't fit me right. I'm also trying to find some decent places to go for hunting.

I really wish I could be training a dog. Unfortunately we have to wait at least another year. My parents dog slash my old dog is still going but is slowing down. I wish we could find a good female to breed him with so I can get a pup. We are planning to be moving again so we don't want to get one until we are settled in a house.

Simmons_WI
hunter

Postby uglymug » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:01 am

Simmons_WI wrote:
uglymug wrote:I'll be training my 3 month old American Water Spaniel all summer. Also plan on finally purchasing a good semi-auto. My 935 was nothing but problems and my 870 express supermag just doesn't fit me right. I'm also trying to find some decent places to go for hunting.

I really wish I could be training a dog. Unfortunately we have to wait at least another year. My parents dog slash my old dog is still going but is slowing down. I wish we could find a good female to breed him with so I can get a pup. We are planning to be moving again so we don't want to get one until we are settled in a house.

I hear it's a good idea to hunt at least one season with both of them. The young dog will learn ten times faster that way. Too bad this is my first duck dog.
uglymug
hunter

Postby Simmons_WI » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:27 am

uglymug wrote:
Simmons_WI wrote:

I hear it's a good idea to hunt at least one season with both of them. The young dog will learn ten times faster that way. Too bad this is my first duck dog.

Yeah we have done that before. Our current lab was a very generous gift from one of my dads friends. He had too many dogs and not enough time to hunt. We got him for free when he was two. Completely trained and obedient. He was trained as a pheasant dog and he had won some competitions in South Dakota as a pup. We converted him to waterfowl with no problem. Best dog we have ever owned. His brother was given to my dads other friend and they see each other every weekend at the cabin. They are ten now I believe. I think we will get four more years with him so I am hoping that we will still have time to train a dog under him.

I live in a rental house right now and I'm not sure if my landlord would allow us to have a dog plus if the puppy doesn't house train well that will be a problem in a apartment. We are hoping to be getting a house in the next year.

Simmons_WI
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Put a remote on a Vortex with a small ATV 12V battery. These things are amazing
Attachments
rotary.JPG
Remote
258.JPG
Remote with wire clamps
Last edited by War Wagon on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:17 am

^x2!!!
Rhock19
hunter

Postby White Rock Decoys » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:07 pm

Boat motor is finally fried, so looking to upgrade that this spring.

The rest of the gear is good to go, so hopefully just finding the time and money to check off a few buck-list trips!
White Rock Decoys
hunter

Postby geno » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:08 pm

Looking for a new or newer boat motor also for my 14 foot duck boat. Have had used 20 HP Merc pull starts in the past. Might upgrade to a new electric start if I can swing it or a newer used motor if I can find one, retiring on 4-1-14 so will be on SS and drawing on my 401 for funds and need something reliable in my old age. Could probably go down to a 15hp if needed. If you know of any or have thoughts, drop me a PM.
geno
hunter

Postby Simmons_WI » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:06 pm

Just checked one item off my offseason prep. Just bought 12 new higdon oversized shell decoys. Have read good thing about higdon and for the price I am willing to give them a go.

Simmons_WI
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:26 pm

I'm going to actually try and go hunting, if only once!
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby wackem' n stackem' » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:21 am

My hunting partner is in the middle of training a new lab and we are rebuilding a 1436 jon boat. Ill make an attemp to post some pictures throughout the boat build but can guarantee anything last couple times i tried posting a picture it wouldnt let me
wackem' n stackem'
hunter

Postby FallenDucks » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:28 am

Going to be training my lab some more. Gets so excited and whines in the boat. Have to get this under control. Does fine with retrieves just needs some ADD meds!!!
FallenDucks
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:33 pm

I will be finishing up work on my boat. I have some painting, installing compartments and making a blind to do.

I also plan on getting the last few water decoys and field decoys to round out my spread. And purchasing a layout blind.

Will be fine tuning my dogs training this year. Last year was her first year and other than a few minor things she did great. I will be taking her on her first nodak trip this fall.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter

Postby wackem' n stackem' » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:52 am

stish- where you headed to in north dakota. We head out there every year
wackem' n stackem'
hunter

Postby millerms06 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:30 am

This year I will be taking my daughter out for youth weekend, advanced training on my dogs through AKC and NAVHDA, and turning my own duck calls. The off season is busier than the hunting season!
millerms06
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:06 am

Getting pup back from trainer so figuring I'll spend my summer cleaning her up and having her fetch my beers.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:06 am

Welding an aluminum deck into the 15' Jon and adding some swivel chairs. Welding a hatch into the watertight forward compartment for gear stowage. Picked up a few dozen long line decoy set-ups and a new blind on clearance at the end of season. Other than that I need to purchase a few dozen ringneck and a dozen redhead dekes before next year starts. Gotta buy another acrylic goose call as well, so I can switch when one gets spitted up and froze. I think this will be about the limit of my budget for this year.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:34 pm

I put a remote in the Vortex. Now I can vary my speeds and when Geese show up and I don't have to run out there to shut it off. I took out the factory wing nuts off and welded it up. This thing is DEADLY on Mallards.
Attachments
258.JPG
rotary.JPG
War Wagon
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Justin Weber wrote:Getting pup back from trainer so figuring I'll spend my summer cleaning her up and having her fetch my beers.

Just dis this with my pup...even better than her bringing me a duck!
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:36 pm

Been away for almost a year so I have ALL sorts of things planned out. Scouting for new spots for the layout boat is definitely towards the top of the list.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting