Long Tail on the Mississippi

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Postby uglymug » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi there,

I'm looking at getting a duck boat in the next couple years and need some advice. I'm looking at getting the swamp runner long tail kit and make my own long tail mud motor. Would a 16 hp long tail engine be enough to go on a bigger river like the Wisconsin or Mississippi with a 16 ft Jon boat?
uglymug
hunter

Re: Long Tail on the Mississippi

Postby Rhock19 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:24 am

On calm days its fine. But get a 15mph wind and hell no. I did it last year with same boat/motor combo. and no thanks. get an outboard or shorttail if thats where you are primarily running
Rhock19
hunter

Postby send the dog » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:40 pm

A 16hp on a 16ft boat, and not alot of experience on the miss? definately not a good idea. I used to run a 20hp long-tail on a rivitted 16ft boat on the miss with no problem. However, i grew up on this river and had been boating on it over 20yrs before long-tails even entered into this state. I live on pool 7 now, and between pools 7 and 8 this section of river is responsible for deaths every year. Like rhock said, calm days no problem, but there is so much water here that you can find yourself a long way from shelter when the weather starts picking up. Do a google search of the "armistice day duck hunt of 1940" and post back on whether you believe that an inexperienced miss boater should not take every precaution available. Sorry if i come off a little harsh, but i've witnessed tragedy on this water more than once and i'll do what i can to inform people. It truely is a beautiful section of river but it must be respected.
send the dog
hunter

Postby marktank » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:58 pm

X2
marktank
hunter

Postby uglymug » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:06 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've mostly hunted the Wisconsin river in the Wauzeka or Stevens Point area so I'm not accustomed to truly 'big' water. So I'm guessing I should cut my teeth a bit before attempting stuff like that.
uglymug
hunter

Postby Ducks&bucks14 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:38 am

I have now hunted 3 years on the Mississippi with a 16 hp Long tail, it is slow going somedays when it does get windy or crummy out but if you are smart about what you do you can hunt almost any day. I also use a 18 ft John boat with extra high sides. To me it is much more about the boat you have then the motor you have. But that is just my 2 cents.
Ducks&bucks14
hunter

Postby send the dog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:42 am

Ducks&bucks14 wrote:I have now hunted 3 years on the Mississippi with a 16 hp Long tail, it is slow going somedays when it does get windy or crummy out but if you are smart about what you do you can hunt almost any day. I also use a 18 ft John boat with extra high sides. To me it is much more about the boat you have then the motor you have. But that is just my 2 cents.

Some backwater areas will be much more forgiving for a smaller rig, but that doesn't mean that you won't have to overcome obstacles and deal with swirling currents and constantly changing water levels. I have over 16 years in some kind of mud boat and motor, 35+years in run-abouts, canoes, ski-boats, bass boats, jon boats, blah blah blah. I grew up on this water and still see things out there that are new to me. Currents, channels, other boat traffic, depths can change daily. My advice would be to get out there in the summertime and get some seat time in, this way, if you sink/flip your rig at least the water will be warm.

D&B14, you be careful with the whole "more about the boat you have than the motor". To be blunt, that kind of inexperienced thinkin can get a person hurt. The motor is what powers your boat, if you don't have enough power when you get in a sticky situation you might as well jump out cause you will be screwed. Not tryin to rag on ya, just want you to think about it. An under-powered boat is an anchor. A well balanced rig with the right amount of hp will be much safer.
send the dog
hunter

Postby uglymug » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:53 pm

What would you old timers realistically recommend for versatile duck boat that can go most places? Please consider I'm 23, so no airboats or hovercraft for a poor college student.
uglymug
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:13 pm

Im not an old timer but I think a mod v jon boat is a good all around boat, can run in shallows, take some chop and handle a load. 18ft tall transom minimum if running in decent size waves. As for motor, 35horse shorttail would be ideal, granted they are pricey and heavy. If I were you Id save my money, start acquiring a good credit score, and purchase a good setup right away. The safety of you and your hunting buddies is worth much more than the boat/motor will ever be, so purchase something that can handle the weather you want to hunt in. You can always find used boats and motors and save yourself some cash. Start looking at peoples boats and figuring out what you like and what you think you would benefit from having.
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Jbenishek » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:05 am

"handle a load." Haha
Jbenishek
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:23 am

trust me...itll handle a load
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Johnny-O » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:49 pm

You might want to look at the Phowler Prowler Boats. They're lightweight but can handle some nasty conditions and heavy chop because of the sneak boat/cockpit design.

Here's a picture of my 1744 bought this year. Been in 2-3 footers and never taken a drop over the side or bow.
Attachments
1001265_10202090604373083_265172414_n.jpg
Johnny-O
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:01 pm

agreed, heard only good things about phowler. and theyre in iowa so it would be close for you to go look at
Rhock19
hunter

Postby send the dog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:04 pm

Min: 16ft mod-v with a 23. Great starter rig and with the right amount of learning it should be plenty safe. Seems like they are a dime a dozen up around these parts. Lots of used ones for sale. I hunt with the guy that sells go-devils in this area, send me a pm if you want me to talk to him for ya.
send the dog
hunter

Postby goosie119 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:12 pm

Ugly if you want to meet me at horicon a day this spring I'd take you for a spin in my 1856 Phowler extreme w/36PD. As far as I'm concerned I've got the perfect rig, I can run the skinniest of water and handle 3 footers on Bago
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

If you have your kill counts in your signature then you're automatically a dbag!
goosie119
hunter

Postby Johnny-O » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:24 pm

Ditto here. Be happy to take you out in the Prowler Extreme.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
Johnny-O
hunter

Postby eire » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:58 pm

Ive been hunting out of Alma and Nelson for 20 years......... anything from a canoe, 10 ft flat widow maker, 1436 and now a 1448 with a beaver 13hp long tail. I should have bought the long tail 20 years ago. Can't hunt the big lake now (damn feds and weak dnr). The 1448 is awesome in the back water and heading into big lake. very stable with my 12 year old and a dog. You just have to know your limits. gl
eire
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting