Wisconsin Opening Day Start Time

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Wisconsin Opening Day Start Time

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:03 pm

I see there is more smoke from the Wis DNR . There has been some talk to go back to a NOON opening time. I for one think this is HOG WASH...it's bad enough we start at 9am. What a JOKE... :fingerpt:
War Wagon
hunter

Re: Wisconsin Opening Day Start Time

Postby thomashamm2 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:25 pm

War Wagon wrote:I see there is more smoke from the Wis DNR . There has been some talk to go back to a NOON opening time. I for one think this is HOG WASH...it's bad enough we start at 9am. What a JOKE... :fingerpt:

can someone explain to me why on opening day the times are later?
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:04 pm

If I had to guess, it's to limit hunter success on the first day. Since we put far more hunters in the field on that day, and the odds of success are high for those hunters, the results of this one day can significantly impact harvest statistics for the entire season.

By starting at noon, we even the odds a little, and the fudge factor is reduced.

I think it's dumb, but I understand why they do it.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:47 am

Bill Herian wrote:If I had to guess, it's to limit hunter success on the first day. Since we put far more hunters in the field on that day, and the odds of success are high for those hunters, the results of this one day can significantly impact harvest statistics for the entire season.

By starting at noon, we even the odds a little, and the fudge factor is reduced.

I think it's dumb, but I understand why they do it.

Opening day in the " Great State of Wisconsin " is a Joke. We shoot up the local birds, We :hammer: Mallards, Wood Ducks and Teal. Burn them up and then we sit and wonder when the Northern flight will appear. :zzz:
The pressure to make the "Yuppies" happy in this State wrecking duck hunting in Wisconsin.
The next thing I see is you will get a free Starbucks coffee when you buy a license in Wisconsin. :lol3:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:13 am

War Wagon wrote:Opening day in the " Great State of Wisconsin " is a Joke. We shoot up the local birds, We Mallards, Wood Ducks and Teal. Burn them up and then we sit and wonder when the Northern flight will appear.
\

My point exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if 10% of the total duck harvest in WI happens on opening weekend. If we opened 1/2 hour before sunrise, it would probably be 10% on opening day alone because everyone is hunting and its easy to kill local ducks, once. A half a day of shooting is enough to learn these birds up and help make sure they don't get 'burned out".

War Wagon wrote:he pressure to make the "Yuppies" happy in this State wrecking duck hunting in Wisconsin.

Yea, blame the Yuppies!? :lol3: :huh:

War Wagon wrote:The next thing I see is you will get a free Starbucks coffee when you buy a license in Wisconsin.

That would be a little social justice if I've ever seen it. 3.50 for a cup of coffee just makes beer that much more attractive :beer:
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby FallenDucks » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:23 am

War Wagon wrote:I see there is more smoke from the Wis DNR . There has been some talk to go back to a NOON opening time. I for one think this is HOG WASH...it's bad enough we start at 9am. What a JOKE... :fingerpt:

That really sucks!!!! Why can't the DNR just let it start at sunrise.. Everyone that I know and see hunting is out to there spots from midnight till 9 am so the excuse from the dnr it's to be safer for people going out in the dark for the first time. Every other hunting season start at normal time gun deer, bow, ect. Why are waterfowlers different.
War Wagon where did you find this info out?
FallenDucks
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:19 pm

Story in Wis outdoor news
War Wagon
hunter

Postby DukDukGoose » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:22 pm

I sure hope not. Most other states have the regular start time. If people are worried about being on the marsh the first time opening day, well perhaps they should scout.
DukDukGoose
hunter

Postby DukDukGoose » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:23 pm

And God forsake we kill a few more BWT before they blow out.
DukDukGoose
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:17 am

I also think the start time has some to do with safety. With the huge influx of hunters on opening day, many of whom only hunt that weekend. There is a huge safety benefit to making people wait until good light. Other than gun deer there is no other hunting season that sees this much pressure on opening day

I for one would be all for limiting the number of hunters allowed on some of these larger public lands. I know a few states do this and have heard it works very well to keep these more popular areas from getting shot out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter

Postby FallenDucks » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:21 am

Yes the DNR says it is for safety for the Noon 9 am start. What gets me is there is very little hunters that go out in the marsh, lake, pond, ect. in the light. Everyone heads out in the dark. If they change the time back to a noon start you still are going to have people heading out in the dark to get there "spot". The DNR should go to the big boat landings that get a lot of pressure on opening day and see how many people leave at light and how many are gone well before light.
I hunted the Horicon marsh a couple of years ago. I went off Bernets ditch got there at midnight on Fri. for a 9 am opener. There was 12 trucks at the ramp already! There is 2 other boat landings on that marsh could only imagine how many where at those. The only thing that a noon and 9 am opener achieves is that you get that *** that comes out at light and says "wow theres a lot of people out here" His one spot he wants to go to is taken and then sets up his decoys 20 yards down from ya. And then the DNR wonders why the numbers are down for water fowlers. People don't want to put the effort in and spend the time and money scouting just to have people set up right next to them!
FallenDucks
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:29 am

Had this ^^^ happen to me this year. got out at 1 am after finding a spot where ducks where congregating a couple weeks before. sit and wait for what feels like forever, then at 7 am two guys pull up and sit 40 yards down the slough. I dont think it will ever change, even with changing opening times. Guys will go out earlier and earlier to claim stake and have a crowd near them. Its just the way it is I guess. Opening day is a love hate relationship
Rhock19
hunter

Postby FallenDucks » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:34 am

Rhock19 wrote:Had this ^^^ happen to me this year. got out at 1 am after finding a spot where ducks where congregating a couple weeks before. sit and wait for what feels like forever, then at 7 am two guys pull up and sit 40 yards down the slough. I dont think it will ever change, even with changing opening times. Guys will go out earlier and earlier to claim stake and have a crowd near them. Its just the way it is I guess. Opening day is a love hate relationship

Yeah it will prob. never change but to those guys that come out late have a little respect for your fellow hunters out there if you go to a spot and there is a guy in it go to another spot if you don't have one find some area where there is no one. At the very least stop by the guy that is all ready there and ask do you mind if I hunt down from you? For me that would be way more considerate then just setting up.
FallenDucks
hunter

Postby millerms06 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:54 am

A couple years ago, on opening day, I hunted up at my folks place and took my daughter out for her second season. When we got to the spot we park at, and claimed our spot, there were guys shooting at ducks already two and half hours before shooting time. I think it would be easier to police opening day if the DNR just did what other states do and get rid of the time constraint.

Besides how many states actually have opening day at 9am or later anyway?
millerms06
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:15 pm

Why regardless of the time there's always gonna be that moron that motors in a 1/2 before shooting and sets up on me less than 100 yrds away when I've been out there for hours already lol. Last yr I managed to get a spot and didn't see another duck hunter.......it was heaven and had my best opener ever. Noon is a joke at least at 9 I catch birds coming back from feeding and decoy em. Noon was all bs pass shooting from birds already shot at. They go back to noon my season will start the morning after the opener.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby merlyn » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:57 pm

I dont mind a later start time opening day. I scout starting in aug. build a blind (which i move as water levels change) for early goose and starting this year the youth season. i have been on location as early as 2:30am. I have put bright eyes and orange tape on my blind the day before and last year used a flashing light to "claim my spot". As usual by 8am iam surround by hunters (on an 1800 acre flowage) did i forget to mention i was all alone all goose season and never saw anyone the 2 days before season started ?
The 9am start time gives me a better chance to keep from getting shot by the a-holes who come from nowhere on opening day.
If i didnt love duck hunting and look forword all year to it so much i would blow off the opener and wait till sunday.
merlyn
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:28 pm

WIgunner30 wrote:Why regardless of the time there's always gonna be that moron that motors in a 1/2 before shooting and sets up on me less than 100 yrds away when I've been out there for hours already

Hey, I resemble that statement. :lol3:

By the time duck opener rolls around, I'll have woken up at 3:45 am for 110 days straight.

It's going to be nice to sleep in for once, the rest of you can just deal with it.

To those of you who protest by not hunting until sunday, :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Bill Herian
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting