Crow Hunting

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Crow Hunting

Postby Simmons_WI » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:26 pm

I'm bored out of my mind with winter and have a new shotgun that needs to shoot a bird. Crow hunting is now open and I am looking for any tips that people may have.

Are decoys necessary? If so how many do you usually run at a time. They are pretty pricy for what they are.

Do you make a quick blind where you set up? I have seen this done with a white sheet on YouTube

Where and when is the best to set up?

I do have a foxpro e caller and snow camo any other suggestions?

Planning on going out in a couple of weeks with a buddy of mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Simmons_WI
hunter

Re: Crow Hunting

Postby Justin Weber » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:48 pm

Hide good and turn that E Caller on the highest volume setting you can. Also I use a full choke with 3" BB's. They are pretty tough birds. Its a good way to kill time though.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:23 pm

Wait for the mother load. Once you sound off the gig is up. They aren't dumb like ducks.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby marktank » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:26 pm

Smartest bird ever to hunt. They are not stupid. I use my white snow camo and hide in the fence lines of fields. I usually put about 8 decoys out in the field with a fury hat in the middle of them and some red kool aid splashed around it to look like blood. I keep my fox pro next to me and crank er up. Usually you can only go about 30 minutes in the same spot and then they get smart and won't come back in close enough. After my 30 min. Is up I move to another spot a few miles away. If its windy out you won't have much luck in fields, but if you go in the woods you can suck them in still.
marktank
hunter

Postby Simmons_WI » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:52 pm

Bill Herian wrote:Wait for the mother load. Once you sound off the gig is up. They aren't dumb like ducks.

When does this mother load happen usually? I plan to go with a friend back home on his dads farm. Should I send him over to scout out the area probably?

Simmons_WI
hunter

Postby Simmons_WI » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:59 pm

Bill Herian wrote:Wait for the mother load. Once you sound off the gig is up. They aren't dumb like ducks.

Or by mother load do you mean don't shoot the first birds that come in and just let them circle until you have more and more birds to shoot at?

Simmons_WI
hunter

Postby Simmons_WI » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:17 pm

marktank wrote:Smartest bird ever to hunt. They are not stupid. I use my white snow camo and hide in the fence lines of fields. I usually put about 8 decoys out in the field with a fury hat in the middle of them and some red kool aid splashed around it to look like blood. I keep my fox pro next to me and crank er up. Usually you can only go about 30 minutes in the same spot and then they get smart and won't come back in close enough. After my 30 min. Is up I move to another spot a few miles away. If its windy out you won't have much luck in fields, but if you go in the woods you can suck them in still.

I think we are going to set up on a field edge in the woods. I think I am going to start with 3 or so decoys since they are kinda pricey for what they are.

Simmons_WI
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:57 pm

Simmons_WI wrote:

Or by mother load do you mean don't shoot the first birds that come in and just let them circle until you have more and more birds to shoot at?

Exactly.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Simmons_WI » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:18 am

Bill Herian wrote:
Simmons_WI wrote:

Exactly.

Awesome, thanks for the help because naturally I'm sure we would have shot at the first birds coming in.

Simmons_WI
hunter

Postby send the dog » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Sounds like all solid advice, i use the kool-aid in addition to an owl decoy on a fence post (or on a log if you are in the woods) with a few crow dekes looking at it and one crow on its side with the kool-aid sprinkled around that one.
send the dog
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting