Duck Hunting Forum banner

Alot of new people...Tell us about yourself

36K views 138 replies 101 participants last post by  DuckHunter1993 
#1 ·
I see a lot of new people on the Wisconsin forum, and I don't think too many of us have introduced ourselves. Maybe we could give a brief bio on your life, what your doing, where you hunt, etc.

I'll start first:

My name is Pete, live in Edgerton Wisconsin, grew up in Janesville. I am married have two kids. I am a chemical reactor operator. I'm 40 years young, and hunt just about everything. I grew up bow hunting, but got hooked on ducks and geese twenty years ago. I live for turkey hunting, although the season is too short. I mostly hunt river systems, with the Mississippi being my favorite place to visit. I have a Black Lab named Sheba, and she loves to hunt more than I! My number one pet peeve is sky blasting, and people who hunt too close when hunting public waters.

There's a brief summary of who I am, now please post up and give some details about yourself. lets hear from the veterans and the new people as well.

Lastly, I made this post in the past, but here we go again. If someone asks about a particular hunting spot, and find that there isn't much response, please don't feel that your post is not being read, I personally don't add to a post if I have nothing to add. So if I have no clue to the conditions (or the whereabouts for that matter) of a particular spot that is being inquired, I just plain don't respond. that doesn't mean that your post isn't being read, because I visit at least once a day.

Have a safe and successful hunting season, and please make it your mission to introduce at least one (or more) new hunter/hunters to this great sport this season. It doesn't need to be a kid, although that would be ideal, but it could be some pansy-ass city slicker who never got to smell the sweet smell of marsh-mud! :lol: Right now the average age of the American hunter is around the age I stand at (40), and at that rate, you can just about imagine how grim our hunting future looks, so we need to ban together and do something to prevent that awful day from ever happening! :thumbsup:

-Pete

See less See more
#2 ·
The names Zach. I'm 19 and live in Burlington, WI. Been here my whole life and don't plan on leaving the area anytime soon. I'm currently a sophomore in college hoping to oneday get to UW Whitewater to finish my business there. I live to hunt and fish and I was brought up by my dad and grandpa to be a conservationist. I love to hunt deer (bow and gun), turkey, pheasants, and any other small game but my one true love is waterfowl hunting. Theres just something about it that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I've hunted ducks in WI and TX and had the opportunity to shoot a variety of species. I've been lucky enough to knock down a few honkers with legbands as well. No jewelry off any ducks yet, hopefully that changes this year :wink: But I enjoy coming to DHC here to talk ducks and geese with fellow outdoorsmen/women. I agree with pete about the average age of hunters now-a-days and I feel that the future looks grim if it continues down the road its on. I personally don't plan on stopping being outdoors as the sun comes up anytime soon and I have been helping pass on the tradition of the outdoors with my younger cousins who were brought up in families that don't hunt. Hopefully one day I can pass onto my kids the same love I have for the outdoors and so onto my grandchildren. I just took my neighbor out on the youth duck hunt this past weekend and he shot his first duck of his life. A beautiful wood duck, his face told me he was hooked for life! Good luck everyone this year! Lets keep the skybustin to a minimal and make every effort to find the ones that get away.

#3 ·
Thanks for the post Zach. It sounds like you're on the path to great things! Glad to hear that someone so young (as your self) is willing to share this great sport. Remember one thing.... ducks first and school second! Or the other way around, which ever works best for you. :lol:

#4 ·
Hi Guys my name is Pat I am from Hayward WI I am a Freshman at UW Stout. I got out of the Marine Corps in Oct of 06. I love to Duck it is my passion. When I am not out duck hunting I am Musky fishing. I also like to Ice Fish when all the ducks are gone. I like Zach was brought up by my father to be a conservationist I love the outdoors and cant wait to pass down my rich traditions someday. I would like to graduate from school with an Applied Science degree and hopefully be able to stay in the state working for the DNR.

#5 ·
Hi,
I just blundered across the forum today, so this will be my first post.
My name is Don, I've been waterfowl hunting for something like 30 years, at first jumpshooting woodies on streams with a single shot 12 guage when I was just a pup.
I've spent quite a bit of time on the Mississippi river hunting divers on the big water and puddle ducks in the sloughs. I worked for an outdoor retailer in South Dakota for a number of duck seasons before coming back home to Wisconsin to be closer to family.
I'm 38 years old, married and have a son who is about to turn 2 who carries a toy shotgun around the house and exclaims "shoot ducks!" (Yeah I'm a little proud)
I'm an amatuer retriever trainer who occasionally trains a dog for others. I like to compete in UKC hunt tests and am owned by a pair of black labs; Will and Kate.
I'm a fan of Gene Hill, Worth Mathewson, Gordon MacQuarrie and Nash Buckingham.
I have a deep and profound hatred of sky busters and slob hunters and a great love of the smell of marsh mud and strong coffee.

#6 ·
I'm not to new about a year old on here. My name is Jason I just got out of the Army National Guard on Nov 15, 06 I live in southeastern Wisconsin. I love the outdoors and quit often get yelled at because if I'm not out there I'm in that seasons chat rooms. I bought a 16ft Lund that I will be using for duck this year and I did a lot of salmon fishing out of this pas summer. I'm a father of 4 great kids that are taking to the hunting and fishing very well. Ages 5,6,7 Even my 10 month old daughter loves being on the boat playing with my calls so much I bought her her very own My kids duck goose deer turkey and pheasant hunt every chance they get The best thing is they help out more than some of the other guys that Ive taken out. But for me Its fishing from the day that Bow hunting closes then Fish till Bow season then I duck and goose hunt till gun season then its back to bow huntin then off to some pheasant farms then back to fishing with the timeout for some spring turkey.
Did I mention I like the outdoors. One more thing my 7 year old daughter can shoot a .22 and hit a can at 30yrds almost every time. She told me to add this when she was reading over my shoulder.

#7 ·
Welcome Don, Pat and Jason

Jason, Tell your 7-year old that I think that is awesome! Ask her when she's ready to crush a can with a 12 gauge? :hammer:

Pat, We have a cottage on Lake Winter, and have 80 acres of deer woods there as well. I love that country!

Don, Sounds like you have a little hunter on your hands, now only 10 years before he hunts. :thumbsdown:

I love to hear about hunting families keeping the tradition alive. Keep the posts coming guys!

-Pete

#8 ·
Pete-pec said:
Thanks for the post Zach. It sounds like you're on the path to great things! Glad to hear that someone so young (as your self) is willing to share this great sport. Remember one thing.... ducks first and school second! Or the other way around, which ever works best for you. :lol:
A BAD DAY OF HUNTING BEATS A PRODUCTIVE DAY AT SCHOOL!A :lol:

#11 ·
Hi everyone, I've been living in Appleton, Wisconsin now for about 7 years and duck hunting for about 3. I am 39 and originally from Texas where all I did was upland (Quail, Dove). After moving to Wisconsin I purchased a wonderful pointing lab, trained it and started hunting pheasants which I love to do. I continued training my lab (Guinness) and he now handles on water and land blinds. Great dog. Needs a little work on remaining steady to shot but overall I think he does very well. Started duck hunting to get more shooting in and my first two years were okay. No boat and no fellow hunters so I was doing about as good as one could expect given that. Met another guy last year who has a boat and loves to hunt as much as I and we had a good year last year mainly on lakes. I also started hunting Geese last year and love that. I have access to stellar corn fields just off Lake Winnabago. Very good hunting.

I just finished building a 14' pirogue and have been scouting marshes, rivers, slews etc. It only holds myself equipment and my dog but I am Always looking for mature, responsible fellow hunters who would like to team up. Especially interested in others with skiffs, piroques and other motorless duck boats. (but I won't ignore you if you want to take me out in your motorized duckboat!)

Otherwise, I still hunt pheasant and love to hunt Grouse up north.

Other interests include Morel hunting.. Scored about 50 this year.. It's just one more season that I look forward to every year.

#12 ·
Morel hunting is also a great passion of mine. Sometimes it conflicts with my turkey hunting, but I forgot to add that one to my list. I didn't do as well last year as the year before, but I think that 2006 was the best year I have ever had. I still managed to get around five pounds this year, but last year my group of friends found literally hundreds of pounds. We had a spot where it was an old cattle pasture, and we were finding 6 inch mushrooms growing where there seemed to be no Elms in the area? It was the easiest hunting I have ever had. this year it was just too damn dry, and the ones I found were mostly small blacks and greys.

I've never hunted out of a poke-boat, but it sounds like it would make for some great hunting!

-Pete

#13 ·
Hi everyone

My name is Oleg , living in Racine...it is my second season waterfowling. I have 2 boys ( 12 and 7) , with my 12 year old we gone spring turkey and small game, this year are trying our luck with ducks and geese if these come along. I am recently moved to US ( from Europe) , I must admit , you guys are lucky to have an opportunity to hunt and enjoy nature the way it is here. Because of being new to the area it is sometimes hard to find a good place to hunt , no compaint I have met many good people/hunters who are sharing and very supportive.
Best of luck to all, shoot straight!

#15 ·
Hey guys,
My name is Brandon, Im 18, and Im from Mauston Wisconsin, but moved to New Holstein a couple years back. I have been hunting waterfowl since I could hunt, its just now Im really into it. Hunting is my biggest passion, I really dont care if I even get a single thing, well somtimes, but most of the time I love to just be out there and enjoying everything around me. I hunt just about anything that can be hunted, and plan to do it until I die. At the end of November I will be leaving for the Air Force and hopefully it doesnt take me away from it. I mostly hunt Collins Marsh and the Sheboygan Marsh areas, but I really havent had to much the last few years due to the lack of equipment and time. Hopefully this year I have more luck. I have a 12' skiff, 2 dozen dekes and 2 new spinning wings that should help me out. Good luck to all you Wisconsin hunters this year!!

#16 ·
Hey all,
My name is Mark, I live in the Appleton area. I have been duck hunting for about 17 years. I also enjoy pheasant and grouse hunting, though waterfowl is my biggest passion. I have a 4-year old yellow lab named Bo. I have been married for 5 years. Some of my other interests include golf, basketball, reading, and fishing. I am the pastor of Covenant Church in Appleton. Happy hunting...hope to see some of you out in the field or on the water.

#17 ·
Welcome Brandon. The only thing I can say about someone joining the armed forces in this day and age is, thankyou! I appreciate everything that you and your fellow soldiers do to make this great country safer today than yesterday.

Welcome to you as well Mark!

#18 ·
Finally got some time to post:

My name is Brian, and I'm a Quack Addict. (By the way, I do go to 12-Step meetings in real life too) Anyhow, I am 36 y/o, (37 in Oct.) I live in South Milwaukee, have a beautiful wife and 3 beautiful daughters: 6, 14 and 18. The 18 y/o deer hunted with me a few times, but doesn't anymore. The 14 y/o is intertested, but there are no hunter's safety class scheduled right now. My 6 y/o has gone out with me, and teases me by saying she won't hunt, but knowing that she will. She does love to fish with me.

Got into hunting a number of years back (maybe 11-12), just small game with a Ruger 10-22, but I never got anything. I never hunted as a kid, my dad wasn't into it. Shortly thereafter I got into gun deer, which then progressed into bow. I also got into turkey, but it took me 8 years to get one. I bowhunted hardcore for about 7-8 years, dabbling in geese and ducks here and there starting about 5-6 years ago. I started getting more into duck and geese, and then I became the Chariperson for the new local chapter of Wisconsin Waterfowl Association. Then I got into duck hunting big time and went to Horicon marsh for the first time. This was about 3 years ago. I am now hooked. I didn't even bowhunt last year, but I did hunt every weekend except one when I was in the hospital. I also hunt rabbit with a 12 Ga after duck closes. Lots of fun. I started that 2 years ago.

This year I bought a boat and black lab. I'm still getting the boat ready for Saturday's opener, and the lab was trained at Donnybrook's Kennels. I'm just about ready, as the boat should be done Friday night. I am making the easy-up blind on the Waterfowl boat thread. Watch for pics soon. The lab is doing good, and has progressed even farther than the training she got because I continue to work with her. This weekend will be her first retrieve in an actual hunt. I went early goose, but didn't even see any, so no retrieves yet. First two weekends will be hunting in West Bend, then thereafter will be on Horicon, and possibly the Mississippi River when I go out for gun deer. Hopefully I'll get a deer opening day so I can spend the rest of the week duck hunting!!! Good luck to y'all this season.

Brian

#19 ·
Hey guys. My name is Brendan, I'm a sophomore at Lawrence University in Appleton. Out here from California to play baseball (I pitch) and get a degree while I'm at it. Don't do much hunting out here, since I don't really have any where to go, and time is too short with practice and stuff to be able to do much scouting. Oh well. The waders and gun are in the back of the truck and ready to go though. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
Greetings from Green Bay! My name is Jim, 37 and this is my 2nd year hunting. I have some friends in Wausau that I go with a couple times a season, mainly for woodies, teal and a few mallards. I would like to try areas around here, particularly the bay. I am married and have a daughter, 7, and a son, 1 and 2 mutts. If anyone has an open spot in their blind or would like some company, I would be happy to oblige.

#21 ·
I'm a southerner. My name is Jim and I live in Brandon Mississippi. I guess y'all (you guys) are wondering what the heck is someone that far down the flyway doing on Wisconsin's forum. It's very simple. I LOVE DUCK HUNTING! I've been duck hunting since I was 10 years old. (I'm 43 now). I grew up in north Louisiana hunting cypress studded big lakes and smaller sloughs. In Mississippi I hunt flooded timber and of course the same big river you do. At this time it's about 85 degrees outside. Brett Favre just burned the Vikings for over 300 yards passing and surpassed Dan Marino on the all time touchdown list. Now where did this Favre guy come from? Oh yeah, The University of Southern Mississippi. You're welcome. LOL. According to your state's wildlife and fisheries website you guys went duck hunting today. Now I'm really jealous.

I look forward to checking out field reports. Wisconsin has always intrigued me with the many different opportunities you have for taking ducks and geese. Be it big lakes, marshes or fields you guys seem to have alot going for you. I want to wish everyone up there the best of luck this season. Also if you are new to waterfowling I want to encourage you to get with a seasoned veteran and learn from him. Not only will it benefit you as a hunter but it will benefit other hunters as well. Duck hunting is traditionally a gentleman's sport. You'll notice in these forums that hunters are sometimes frustrated with novices who don't know the ins and outs of duck hunting. At the same time I've always believed that the outdoors are for everybody. Learning how to call ducks and when not to call ducks is critical. As is knowing when to shoot and when to pass. Experience is the best teacher. You young guys are the future of this sport. Learn everything you can about it but most of all have alot of fun.

I'll be checking back from time to time to see how the birds are flying. Save a few for us southerners. Rack em boys!

Jimbotheduckman.

#22 ·
I have just recently moved to WI. Living near Appleton. I have been hunting my whole life, started hunting waterfowl 6 years ago and I am completely addicted. I still hunt deer and the occasional turkey however I will spend 90% of my time on waterfowl. I grew up in Indiana, lived in Nebraska for a year, and I had been living in MI for the last 10 years. Due to just moving here I decided to take the opener off so I don't get out there and find some things I wasn't expecting. I will probably find myself hunting small marshes during the week for this first year until I get some new hunting buddies. I do have a 17' duck boat, a canoe, plenty of gear.......but no dog. I am what I would consider to be a very considerate hunter. I will not set up close to someone else, I will not sky bust....I probably pass up more shots than I should but I like to see them close. Also not having a dog. I have learned to pick and choose my shots! A few years ago I started donating $5 to DU for every hen I kill through the year.

Hope to see ya' all out there.

#23 ·
Hi ny name is Brad live in central part of the badger state, I am 28 years old married for three years have 4 month old daughter (future duck slayer) I have a 2 year old choclate lab named Hoyt who loves to hunt with me. I will hunt anything that moves. I especially love any kind of hunting that involves dogs. I have benn hunting ducks for about three years, and am hooked 4 life. Everyone have a great season!!!

#24 ·
Hi members
Chris from Greendale . Been hunting over 30 year . Hunt duck,deer (gun and bow) pheasants and grouse. Been married for 17 year, one daughter thats 13 and two Labs name Casper YLM thats 4yrs old and Myingah (MY) is BLF is 5yrs old. ( my hunting buddy) If you see me say hi. I just started getting back into hunting heavy about 5 yrs ago .

#25 ·
Hi all.
I'm new to the site today. My name is Brett, I grew up in grafton, lived in Belgium for a year and now I live in Cedarburg. I'm 22 years old and this is my first year really getting serious about duck and goose hunting. I hunted for ducks a couple of times with my dad when I first got my license when I was 12 but he and I have always been more interested in upland hunting than ducks. This year a friend of mine and I decided to get serious about hunting and and I really wanted to get into duck hunting. so far this season I've spent a lot of money on new gear and what not but hey, its worth it, I work so I can hunt. I got my girlfriend into hunting and she will be taking hunter safety next year. She used to be real gun shy but I got her through that easy enough and she even bought herself a 20ga BPS this year. I've always been a strong believer that us hunters care a heck of a lot more about the outdoors than any of those eco freaks who want to ban hunting, and whenever I can I take people who have never shot a gun shooting, and people who have never been hunting I love introducing them to the sport. I figgure people who are against guns most likely are afraid of them, but once they learn that its not the gun thats the problem they usually change their mind. I think this will be a great place for me to learn more things and hopfully become a better duck hunter. Thanks everyone.
Brett

#26 ·
Howdy everyone,

My name is Chris and I'm from Sheboygan. I've been on the site a few weeks now. I'm 29, been hunting since I was 12. I've been married a year and a half. I've also got two daughters, Jordyn, 2½ and Peyton, 2 months old who I can't wait to take out hunting. I also have a 3 yr old yellow lab horse at home named Nala. I hunt pretty much whatever I can, whenever I can, except for tukey and bear.

Hey Brett, did you graduate from Grafton? If so, you probably know my in-laws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.