Divers

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Divers

Postby rnloutdoors » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:07 pm

It's only Feburay and i've found my self in class day dreaming about ducks, I've hunted puddlers for the last two years and this year i was wanting to do more diver duck hunting ive posted on the actualy diver hunting thread but I feel like I get mixed opions depending on where you live so, I live in central wisconsin and hunt mostly the wisconsin river my question is for spreads do you guys like to run lines or J hooks or what im really kinda confused. I'm not asking for your secret set up just trying to get an idea for this upcoming season

Thanks,
rnloutdoors
hunter

Re: Divers

Postby send the dog » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:02 pm

As you look at a raft of divers on a given body of water, most of the time i notice a larger concentration at the head of the raft with the rest of the birds falling in line behind. This is how i set up my "rafts". I typically do not get to involved in the J, U, V, L...etc... setups. I try to keep my lines within 35 yards, it seems as though the birds like to skirt the outside edge and do fly-bys. so i keep them in close for decent kill shots.
send the dog
hunter

Postby loon » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:50 am

I've never hunted the Wisconsin River. I hunt the bay all the time the most important thing when I'm setting up on the bay is to have as many decoys as possible and to make sure you have some sort of a landing zone for them downwind or crosswind depending on wind direction and if you are hunting from shore or open water. All those patterns J, V or any of the other letters you want to spell out are designed to do is to steer the ducks to an opening where they want to land so you can shoot them. If you look at rafts of actual divers they are not in any true pattern just clumped together around areas where their having better luck finding food and as new ducks arrive and either land with their species or at the more concentrated locations thinking there is more food. I have had good luck with a tightly concentrated ball of decoys within 30yds and then some lines going out primarily downwind but also crosswind to improve visibility as well as leaving multiple Landing zones in the space between the lines. Try to picture a kid's drawing of the sun with a circle and lines going off to show the rays (but the rays only go downwind or crosswind. In my opinion the most important thing for luring in divers is to be where they want to be with as many decoys as you can practically carry. I typically use 8 to 10 lines with roughly 15 to 20 decoys per line irregularly spaced And a bunch of Texas rigged singles to help break up the lines. This works great on the bay but I hunt depths of 2-3ft often from a gravel bar that sticks out 200yds from shore.or a layout boat if the water is up that day. Are you hunting the impoundments like Castlerock? 0n the Wisconsin River proper I really don't know what that looks like , is it more lake like or more like a true river with current and narrow areas?
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby rnloutdoors » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:39 pm

Where I am it's more of a true river with current, islands and 300yds wide at most. I'm just kinda confused because every body likes there letters but I have yet to see a group of ducks in a j

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
rnloutdoors
hunter

Postby send the dog » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:22 pm

When i first started huntin ducks i used all the letters in the alphabet. As time went on and experience took over, i realized that i was having better success by mimicing the behavior and patterns of the birds. This led me to abandon the alphabet game and make my spreads more natural.
send the dog
hunter

Postby loon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:28 am

The ducks can't read the letters but it's all about trying to steer them to the place that's best for a good shot which would be 30 yards or closer with their wings locked up 10 feet over your decoys. The J or the V are all about having a long line of decoys running away downwind that the ducks will follow as they come up toward your spread landing at the ball of decoys at the top.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby duckr68 » Fri May 30, 2014 5:33 pm

I diver hunted the Mississippi for years and the best setup was 2 long lines one straight and one angled toward the channel. then you set a ball of a couple dozen at the head of the strings with your layout boat in the middle. works like a charm. we would wouldn't get a lot of landers but the couldn't resist a swing along that string.
duckr68
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting