Early Teal Season?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Early Teal Season?

Postby uglymug » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:25 pm

So I've heard from another part of this site that MN is possibly going to get an early teal season. Do we know if WI is considering doing the same thing?
uglymug
hunter

Re: Early Teal Season?

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:19 am

Yes there was an article in one of the wisconsin newspapers. But theyve also said this in years past so who knows
Rhock19
hunter

Postby uglymug » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:06 am

I think this would be a great idea. That way we could start the main season at a reasonable time and still get some late season ducks in our season.
uglymug
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:47 am

If they do it I bet a lot of wood ducks are going to get shot and they are going to end it.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:50 am

people will be shooting woodies left and right. I have mixed feelings about it, I like our early season woody hunts but hate the middle of the season where its all local ducks. I would like to hunt teal a little earlier but would hate losing the woody huntig with a later season start
Rhock19
hunter

Postby wackem' n stackem' » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:39 pm

I woould like to see an early season for both woodies and teal. An season on sandhills would be nice as well i dont know about the rest of you but the sandhill numbers by me are crazy!
wackem' n stackem'
hunter

Postby loon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:37 am

I second the idea on the sandhill crane season and teal season. I got to shoot some of those in Saskatchewan and it was really cool as well as being a good tasting bird ,ribeye of the sky they say in Canada. We had to fight for a long time to get the Mourningdove season and the Wolf season. I don't like it when politics or emotions are making the wildlife management decisions. If the wildlife biologist say it's safe and a good idea to have the hunt that should be the final word on the matter.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby goosie119 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:26 pm

wackem' n stackem' wrote:I woould like to see an early season for both woodies and teal. An season on sandhills would be nice as well i dont know about the rest of you but the sandhill numbers by me are crazy!

Would be nice but an early woodie season isn't even an option...
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

If you have your kill counts in your signature then you're automatically a dbag!
goosie119
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:01 pm

do any other states have an early woodie season? ive never heard of it before
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:39 pm

Rhock19 wrote:do any other states have an early woodie season? ive never heard of it before

I'm not thinking so. The USFWS allows "non-waterfowl production states" to have an an early teal season, but teal only.

If woodies are open too, it means duck season is open, it would mean our 60 days has begun. These early teal season don't count towards other states regular waterfowl season.

State can't do it if they want to, without approval from the fed, which is likely what has held it up in the past.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:46 pm

I take that back.

TN and KY both have a short teal and wood duck season exclusive from their regular duck season.

The USFWS isn't happy about it though.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:44 pm

Bill Herian wrote:I take that back.

TN and KY both have a short teal and wood duck season exclusive from their regular duck season.

I've not heard that they were unhappy about it. Link perhaps? I never participate because it's usually a waste of time.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:15 pm

Westtennduckhunter wrote:

I've not heard that they were unhappy about it. Link perhaps? I never participate because it's usually a waste of time.

I can't remember where I read it, only that it was in the Wisconsin outdoor news. Unhappy might not be the right word, but "would have not recommended it" might be. They green lighted early teal, and the state threw on woodies too, to show them who wears the pants. "Unhappy" in the sense that nobody asked permission.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:10 am

Bill Herian wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:

I can't remember where I read it, only that it was in the Wisconsin outdoor news. Unhappy might not be the right word, but "would have not recommended it" might be. They green lighted early teal, and the state threw on woodies too, to show them who wears the pants. "Unhappy" in the sense that nobody asked permission.

Gotcha. As far as I know there's not a ton killed. I scout every year for it and hardly ever even find enough to get out of bed for.
teddysberna wrote:

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:06 pm

I'm sure we could if we got an early teal season. Woodies are dumb and plentiful here.

The fed probably doesn't like it because they don't want states circumventing the authori-tay and making their own special rules. I'd like to see a "special" late mallard season in Wisconsin, but if the state can do it, the fed becomes a paper crown. There are also talks of a "special" scoter, eider, and longtail seasons here, and the fed won't like that either, because they said 60 days and 6 ducks.

"Special" in this case means exclusive from the regular season.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:03 pm

Bill Herian wrote:I'm sure we could if we got an early teal season. Woodies are dumb and plentiful here.

The fed probably doesn't like it because they don't want states circumventing the authori-tay and making their own special rules. I'd like to see a "special" late mallard season in Wisconsin, but if the state can do it, the fed becomes a paper crown. There are also talks of a "special" scoter, eider, and longtail seasons here, and the fed won't like that either, because they said 60 days and 6 ducks.

"Special" in this case means exclusive from the regular season.

Right on. While we're wishing; I'd like to start 2 weeks earlier and ban spinners.
teddysberna wrote:

Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:10 pm

im on for two weeks later!
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:22 pm

Rhock19 wrote:im on for two weeks later!

I'm right there with you, and to squash any reservations, I think they should offer two licences, one starting at the traditional time and one starting later. No zones, no splits. You pick which one you want to buy.

The only hang up is "Duck Season" would be open for more than 60 days statewide, just not for any one person.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby uglymug » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:48 pm

I would be very happy with a later season. I'd also be happy with an early teal and woodie season. With how many woodies we have here in Wisconsin I don't think a special teal season would hurt them too much. I think participation would be pretty low anyways.
uglymug
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting