Need help fast!

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Need help fast!

Postby merlyn » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:55 pm

The snows too deep the temp. too low! Will someone PLEASE talk about ducks. Anything, any topic would be fine, the more chatter the better,no matter how stupid. Ill get it started---Why do some guys get all worked up about internet scouting(especially
on pool nine) gimmie a break-its 30 plus miles long-room for everybody right?
How about---if other states can shoot hen malards why is Wi. different ? (you cant tell the difference early season anyway) I say better to add to the legal bag limit rather then try to hide or cover up a mistake(you know it happens all the time,my dog retrieved 2 very dead ,very smelly hens from the same spot last year)
One more and then your on your own---Decoy spreads-How many and of what type or sex (in your opinion) should you use in A. time of season B. wheather conditions(wind mostly) C.type of vegatation,cattails,sumerged weeds,timber etc.D.mix of breeds and placement in the spread( i always seperate teal and wood duck decoys from mallards even tho i cant give you a good reason why.

Thanks for letting me forget about the crappy wheather and no football for a little while. I really would like to hear your comments about decoys. i do what i do from habit or from reading hunting books but the birds evolve, decoys evolve maybe what we always did needs to evolve too
Merlyn
merlyn
hunter

Re: Need help fast!

Postby Jake S » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:20 pm

Im ok with the one hen mallard limit, but I think our season should start later. Partially becouse you cant tell the difference between drakes and hens, and partially become i have almost always noticed peak numbers of birds in the last two weeks of the season or after the season is done.
Jake S
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:33 pm

I think Wis want to show the rest of the States we are leaders when it comes to shooting hens. I think the other States think we are dumb.. :yes: ..they got more birds to shoot at.
I think we should have 2 , like everybody else.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Shoot all the hens you want. I won't tell anybody.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:13 pm

Jake S wrote:Im ok with the one hen mallard limit, but I think our season should start later. Partially becouse you cant tell the difference between drakes and hens, and partially become i have almost always noticed peak numbers of birds in the last two weeks of the season or after the season is done.

I'm hunting the border and shooting all the hens I can just for kicks if WI is foolish enough to drop their hen limit.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby War Wagon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:23 pm

I don't go out there to shoot all the hens I can, that's not the point. :fingerpt: The Wis DNR has to start looking at other States, and take a GOOD long look at there Reg's. If the USFW service OK's 2 hens why can't we have that option ? Who know's more, the brain dead DNR in Madison ??, or the USFW Service ??? :mad: Where is our Sandhill Crane Season ?? They have talked about this for years and years. The USFW Service allows the harvest of them. Still nothing here. :mad: Take a LOOK at Minn they are putting the :hammer: them. :yes:
Now at the spring hearings they are going to ask about a Swan season ??? :lol3: :lol3: The USFW will allow it and this too will never happen in the Great State of Wisconsin. Just a bunch of old ladies in the Wis DNR. They are not here to help a hunter out or wild game management. They are only here for the money, and how fast they can retire. Look around...you don't see to many gray haired Wardens out there do you...they are gone at 55, with unbelievable benefits. Who is paying for that...??
GO WISCONSIN ..
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Those decisions should be made at a state level, even if I disagree with them. I'd rather see wildlife managed by the state instead of DC.

I have read that Wisconsin harvests local (hatched in state) mallards as a higher proportion of total mallard harvest than most other states. I don't know how they even begin to figure that out, but it's probably why they are hesitant to give us 2 hens. It makes sense, we aren't exactly a migration state, and we've retained a higher percentage of our original wetlands that most other states, so we actually do alright making our own ducks.

But I'm sure you already knew that. :tongue:
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:19 pm

[quote="Bill Herian"]Those decisions should be made at a state level, even if I disagree with them. I'd rather see wildlife managed by the state instead of DC.

Bill, You are right to keep it at the State level. Look how good the Wisconsin DNR has handled the whitetails here :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:51 am

War Wagon wrote:Bill, You are right to keep it at the State level. Look how good the Wisconsin DNR has handled the whitetails here :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Then let's hear the solution if it's so simple.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:04 pm

Bill:
It's never going to be a simple or quick fix. :fingerpt:
My point is the Wisconsin DNR has to not only listen to hunters they have to show us they will do some of the things we ask for.
Crane season
Opening day start time
Swan Season
Open water problems... (whole or partial concealment thing)
When to start our season
Bag Limits ( USFW will allow us to harvest 2 Hens )

This is just some things they should look at. There is a list a mile long...

They have these spring hearings and I went to a lot of them, It's all for show and then they do what they want.
It took Scott Walker it bring somebody else in from the outside to look at the deer problems.
Now they are doing something. :yes:
I think we should get somebody from the outside to look at the Duck and Geese issues here too. :clapping:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:08 pm

War Wagon wrote:Bill: It's never going to be a simple or quick fix. :fingerpt:

That was sort of my point, mister finger pointer. :fingerpt:

War Wagon wrote:My point is the Wisconsin DNR has to not only listen to hunters they have to show us they will do some of the things we ask for.

That was not the point you tried to make. You just guffawed at the shortcomings of WIDNR.

War Wagon wrote:Crane season
Opening day start time
Swan Season
Open water problems... (whole or partial concealment thing)
When to start our season
Bag Limits ( USFW will allow us to harvest 2 Hens )

Crane season is a hard sell. Believe it or not, waterfowlers are not the biggest fish in the pond, and cranes draw a lot of water in this state. I understand the DNR treading lightly here. It's just good business, even if you get pouty over it.

I already told you why the opening day start time is what it is. Yell louder I guess, I'd like to see it changed as well.

I'm all for shooting the swans, but haven't heard that notion aired until now.

Open water regs need to be overhauled.

I already gave you the end all solution for season dates. I'll go and yell it at them this spring. You should do the same. While the hearings might be bogus, its nobler than crying about it on the internet.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:36 pm

Bill do you work for the Wis DNR ? you defend them so much ... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:28 pm

No I do not. I just try to be objective about things.

It's easy to be a critic, easy and cheap. I won't nitpick and point out faults without first having a solution in mind.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:28 am

It took Scott Walker it bring somebody else in from the outside to look at the deer problems.
Now they are doing something.
I think we should get somebody from the outside to look at the Duck and Geese issues here too.

Bill did you miss this line ?
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:05 am

War Wagon wrote:It took Scott Walker it bring somebody else in from the outside to look at the deer problems.
Now they are doing something.
I think we should get somebody from the outside to look at the Duck and Geese issues here too.

Bill did you miss this line ?

The deer problems are management problems, the waterfowl problems are not.

You don't want somebody to reevaluate waterfowl management in the state, you just want regulations changed. It doesn't take a brain trust to do that. You being unhappy about the start time is not a management issue. Open water blind laws are not a management issue, season dates could maybe be construed as such.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby loon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:17 am

I love the idea of a crane season the farmers would be on board for the most part and the birdwatchers don't pay their fair share of expenses anyway. Also we know from experience the best way to save protect and increasing numbers of anything is to have a hunting season. Look at our wild turkey success.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby War Wagon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:53 pm

Crane season is a hard sell. Believe it or not, waterfowlers are not the biggest fish in the pond, and cranes draw a lot of water in this state. I understand the DNR treading lightly here. It's just good business, even if you get pouty over it.

How did Minnesota get there Crane season ?
Is it Bad business in that Minnesota, did they get pouty over it. :no:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:13 pm

We're trying to shoot all our cranes so the birders move to WI. If we can get a swan season we'll be golden.
beretta24
State Moderator

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting