Madison Duck Hunting

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Madison Duck Hunting

Postby mojowonder » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:08 pm

I am a UW student and looking to duck hunt near Madison next year. I was looking on the WI DNR website and thinking of trying Cherokee Marsh Fishery Area. Trying to find a spot where no dog or boat is needed. I will bring waders though. Any ideas?
mojowonder
Newb

Re: Madison Duck Hunting

Postby uglymug » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:47 pm

I live about 30 minutes northeast of you in Columbus. I'd be sure to get there early. I hear the hunting pressure around Madison is simply crazy. You may be better of driving up to the WI River/Portage to Steven's Point area and in between. I've had good early season luck there and there's not as much pressure.

EDIT: The river, not the mead. If you hunt the mead you better have a helmet so you don't get a headache from all the pellets falling on you.
uglymug
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:22 pm

Middleton Marsh used to be a great duck and pheasant spot.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby GunDawg420 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:05 pm

There really is no spot on Cherokee where a boat and dog are not necessary for a successful hunt. Yeah you might be able to knock down the occasional duck that flies the shoreline, but retrieving that downed duck without a dog or boat on Cherokee is near impossible...8+ feet of muck and weeds that will give even a determined Lab trouble swimming through...You might want to try Lake Kegonsa at Fish Camp Park, you can walk the shoreline(good solid ground and not too deep) all the way to what I call "Sh*t Creek" and there are plenty of decent spots there. Also there are a few spots near Gov. Nelson State Park, one on Oncken Road right across the street that from Gov. Nelson SP that you can walk back into the river/creek and get some good Woodie action early in the season...Theres also a good public walk in spot off of Woodland Drive heading towards Waunakee that if you wander around back there you will find a good sized pond and a winding river/creek that I've killed many mallards and woodies out of.

I've been hunting the Madison area since I was just a young whipper snapper so feel free to PM if you wanna bounce some ideas off me, chances are I've atleast tried every public walk in spot in the Madison area.

PS. Another great walk in spot is in Sauk City on the WI River, the Lower Wisconsin Riverway Park I believe is where you go to park your truck and walk in...But there you better get there early, lots of other yahoos.
If you're too busy to go duck hunting, then you're too busy!
GunDawg420
hunter

Postby mojowonder » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks for the help everyone!
mojowonder
Newb

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting