Layout boat for Winnebago?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Layout boat for Winnebago?

Postby uglymug » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:49 am

Hi fellow Wisconsinites,

I'm looking at getting into layout boat hunting next year and I'm thinking of trying Lake Winnebago. I'm just wondering what kind of layout boats you guys would recommend. I'd prefer something that could have a small engine mounted on it. I don't have a tender boat and I don't have the cash to get one. Is this feasible to get to a good spot just using something like a Beavertail 2000 or something similar? I'm kinda new to the whole layout concept so any tips would be appreciated.
uglymug
hunter

Re: Layout boat for Winnebago?

Postby Rhock19 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:02 am

I would keep safety in mind first. If you get caught out in a storm with a layout boat and no tender, there is no motoring back in and probably no more you.
Rhock19
hunter

Postby uglymug » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:58 am

What size would you recommend as a tender boat?
uglymug
hunter

Postby loon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:09 am

16 foot deep V minimum
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby Rhock19 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:18 pm

18ft absolute minimum. Those waters can kick up so fast your head will spin. Calm clear and sunny one minute then five foot rollers. Others can vouch, any large lake is going to have considerably large storms, especially during the fall. And it doesnt matter if you know the lake and know how to drive, small boats loaded with heavy gear and white caps do not mix.
Rhock19
hunter

Postby uglymug » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:13 am

Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I'll have to reconsider my options.
uglymug
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:14 pm

no problem! I would just hate to see anything happen from someone not being prepared. Look up the armistice day storm, good reminder of the power of weather
Rhock19
hunter

Postby charles.r.hensen » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Winnebago is especially crappy for weather changes. It spins up so fast by the time you start picking decoys the weather is bad and before you know it your in trouble. I second the 18' minimum rule. I run a 24 foot center counsel boat with 2 layouts at times on winnebago and the bay and michigan and I find I have called it and went home more on Bago than the other 2 lakes. Problem on Bago is it runs North/South, and the prevailing winds during duck season are North. With that being said, depending where you are hunting, that gives a steady 15MPH north wind 10 to 30 miles of lake to blow straight down and make a mess of things. Be safe and go with a 18'+ tender
charles.r.hensen
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:02 pm

Layout boat hunting is a team or partner effort. Why don't you buy a nice layout boat and some dekes on long lines, then find a hunting partner with a big boat and you will both be contributing to the hunt, safe and effective!
blackrock
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting