Early Wisconsin Teal Season

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Early Wisconsin Teal Season

Poll ended at Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:02 pm

Yes I want a 15 day Early Teal Season
79%
No I do not want a Early Teal Season
21%

Total votes : 14

Re: Early Wisconsin Teal Season

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:28 am

And another thing.

Why is everyone getting all revved up over the possibility that hunters will mistakenly shoot birds other than teal? You can go out there any day of the season and overbag or shoot something you aren't supposed to. They give us sixty days and a 70 page book of dos and dont's and ambiguous regulations and you guys are fine with it but all of a sudden no one can be trusted to identify teal?

So what if a few woodies get waxed? You understand that these are the same woodies that we will be blowing to smithereens when the regular season rolls around, correct? It's no different than violating any other time, I say let the hunters have at it and let the COs sort it out.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:34 am

Agreed

Sent from Sconnieland
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:41 am

I really want a sea duck season on the great lakes.

Sent from Sconnieland
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:35 pm

A guy posted this in the minnesota forum, don't know where he found it but if it is legit, it certainly answers all the questions I have

Found this regarding WI early teal.

Long story short:
Department of Natural Resources Proposal and opportunity for comment:
Based on the public input to date and staff analyses, the department has proposed the following for an early teal season in Wisconsin for 2014:
o September 1-7 Experimental Early Teal Season.
o Only blue-winged and green-winged teal can be harvested.
o Daily bag limit of 6 teal.
o Shooting hours on opening day begin at 9 am and close at 7 pm.
o Shooting hours from September 2-7 begin at sunrise and close at 7 pm.
Public comment on this proposal can be submitted to
Taylor Finger
Taylor.finger@wisconsin.gov
PO Box 7921
101 South Webster Street
Madison, WI 53707-

with an early duck season that offered additional duck hunting days outside of the regular duck season framework. Hunters were restricted to shooting only teal; blue-winged and green-winged teal; but the focus in the Mississippi Flyway was primarily the early migrating blue-winged teal. This “experimental season” was intended to measure whether hunters could successfully distinguish between duck species and what the impact was on non-teal ducks. The results were mixed and after debate among state and federal agencies involved, the decision was made that the “production” states (WI, MN, MI and IA) within the Mississippi Flyway would not be allowed an early teal season. However, when blue-winged teal seasons were high, “nonproduction” states would be offered an operational early teal season. “Production” refers primarily to whether a state is a major breeding area for mallards and other ducks.
The continental population of blue-winged teal has grown in recent years and a harvest assessment concluded that teal could sustain higher harvest beyond that incurred during the regular duck season and the existing early teal seasons. Following a series of meetings and recommendations among states and the USFWS, it was decided that the 4 production states would be offered a 3 year experimental teal season. It is very important to understand that this is an experimental season and that the results of the experiment will determine if a state is granted an operational early teal season. The USFWS requires states to observe hunter behavior in the field to observe whether they shoot at non-teal ducks during the teal only season. If the number of attempts to shoot non-teal ducks is too high then we will fail the experiment.
Public input to date:
During 2013 and early 2014, Department staff knew that there was a possibility that Wisconsin would be offered an early teal season but clear guidance from the US Fish and Wildlife Service was not available. Staff presented information in public meetings, advisory committee meetings, special breakout sessions at the waterfowl hunter’s conference and asked questions in our mail waterfowl hunter survey. We heard a mixed reaction to the idea of an early September teal season. Those who were in favor of the season discussed the additional hunting opportunity and the chance to harvest blue-winged teal before they migrate south which is often before the regular duck season opens. Those who did not favor a season were concerned that hunters would not be able to correctly identify the ducks and harvest non-teal species, that this early season would disrupt the fall staging behavior of ducks and detract from the regular duck season opener and that an early season would negatively impact the youth waterfowl hunt which is held in mid-September. There was also consistently a group of waterfowl hunters in each venue that had not decided whether or not it was a good idea. In public meetings and advisory committees, a variety of suggestions such as a season length of several days and restricted shooting hours that limit low light conditions as ways to mitigate some of the concerns over poor identification and negative impacts on the regular duck season.
By late March, department staff had additional details from the USFWS and were certain that an early teal season would be offered to Wisconsin in 2014. The outside limits of a teal season would be maximum of 16 days, 6 bird daily bag limit and shooting hours that do not start before sunrise. A state could select season parameters less that these maximums as appropriate to the specific migration patterns and relationship to other duck seasons. The following are some key public inputs received in the last few weeks:
 Waterfowl hunter survey to random selection of 1000 waterfowl hunters
o 41% of the respondents indicated support for an early teal season.
o 43% were in opposition to an early teal season.
o 17% were unsure or did not have an opinion on the teal season.
o If a teal season was accepted, 68% preferred the season to be between 5-9 days in length.
 Wisconsin Conservation Congress Migratory Committee - May 9, 2014 meeting. Voted for a September 1-7 early teal season with a 6 bird daily bag limit and shooting hours of sunrise to ½ before sunset.
 DNR Migratory Game Bird Committee with representation from conservation groups and regional wildlife staff - recommended a season of September 1-7 with a 6 bird daily bag limit. The committee expressed a variety of ideas regarding a later opening of shooting hours or an early closure of shooting hours in the afternoon but could not come to a consensus recommendation.
Department of Natural Resources Proposal and opportunity for comment:
Based on the public input to date and staff analyses, the department has proposed the following for an early teal season in Wisconsin for 2014:
o September 1-7 Experimental Early Teal Season.
o Only blue-winged and green-winged teal can be harvested.
o Daily bag limit of 6 teal.
o Shooting hours on opening day begin at 9 am and close at 7 pm.
o Shooting hours from September 2-7 begin at sunrise and close at 7 pm.
Public comment on this proposal can be submitted to
Taylor Finger
Taylor.finger@wisconsin.gov
PO Box 7921
101 South Webster Street
Madison, WI 53707-
Rhock19
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:40 pm

So, how much is a license for an MN resident for the early teal season over in cheese land since we apparently are too good to have an early season over here?

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby AJBilder » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:31 am

$10,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AJBilder
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:52 pm

goldfish wrote:So, how much is a license for an MN resident for the early teal season over in cheese land since we apparently are too good to have an early season over here?

Sent from a phancy fone

Find out and wander on over here. From the sounds of things I'll have the mash mostly to myself.

If you don't want a season, stay at home and look out the window. I'll knock a few down for you.

Word from the Cheddarsphere.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby DellsDucks » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:13 pm

I'm with bill too if your going to B**** about it keep your a**es on your porch and sip your coffee while i take care of business out there! :hi:
2013 Waterfowl
Teal: 13
Woodies:3
Mallards:2
Black Ducks:1
Divers: 2
DellsDucks
hunter

Postby Mnduckhunter27 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:21 pm

Any advice where to go for a nonresident form mn ? Anything would be great
Mnduckhunter27
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:05 pm

Lake michigan
Rhock19
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:13 pm

Mississippi river
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:42 pm

So if this season is put into effect, when will regular duck opener be pushed to? I have a trip planned to come up sept 26,27,28,29

Sent from the heart
HGC Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:48 pm

Sorry. Just read that it has been passed. Now that it has been passed* when will duck opener be set to?

Sent from the heart
HGC Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby Jbenishek » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:19 am

^ they release the dates next month I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jbenishek
hunter

Postby CrazyYouthHunter » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:55 pm

September 1-7
Got my year all figured out and will have great duck hunting time after school!

CrazyYouthHunter
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:59 pm

Thats for teal, opener will either be sept 27 or oct 4
Rhock19
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:06 pm

I just wish they would open the regular season on the FIRST SATURDAY IN OCTOBER .... :smile:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:54 pm

I just wish for a lot of things.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby CrazyYouthHunter » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:25 am

Rhock19 wrote:Thats for teal, opener will either be sept 27 or oct 4

Can't be the 27th. That's a sunday.

CrazyYouthHunter
hunter

Postby goosie119 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:42 pm

CrazyYouthHunter wrote:Can't be the 27th. That's a sunday.

Better get yourself a new calendar there Chummy...
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

If you have your kill counts in your signature then you're automatically a dbag!
goosie119
hunter

Postby CrazyYouthHunter » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:26 pm

goosie119 wrote:
CrazyYouthHunter wrote:Can't be the 27th. That's a sunday.

Better get yourself a new calendar there Chummy...

Sorry must've been looking at July.

CrazyYouthHunter
hunter

Postby WiHonker » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:22 am

Seasons will probably stay in line with when they started last year.
WiHonker
hunter

Postby snosleder080 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:35 am

WiHonker wrote:Seasons will probably stay in line with when they started last year.

Stupid stupid wdnr... This is a bad idea that will only be proven after failure unfortunately. Would not be surprised to see them take this addition to the season away from the end of the season wihonker. The feds only want to see the same allotted days for each season... Like 60 something, hence why the season opened a week earlier last year and closed a week earlier than past years. Anyone who is a serious duck hunter knows and agrees here in Wisconsin the hunting only gets better later in the year. Some years it may get harder due to ice up but in wi there are more migrators that come through later than there are local ducks... We should be pushing for a later season or a longer split between first and second.

For those who think it will be easy to id teal in a low light morning almost a month before reg season opener, you will be the one to shoot an illegal. Juvenile woodies look extremely close to teal especially this early. Same size and woodies this early especially juvi don't have their color or often times there Mohawk. Usually it's the whistle that gives them away and there gone by the time you I'd hear that. It should be interesting.... Prolly just spend my time shooting five geese. This is all too remnant of sitting in a tree stand for antlerless only watching every buck in the neighborhood walk past. To each there own.
snosleder080
hunter

Postby WiHonker » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:05 pm

Stupid stupid wdnr... This is a bad idea that will only be proven after failure unfortunately. Would not be surprised to see them take this addition to the season away from the end of the season wihonker. The feds only want to see the same allotted days for each season... Like 60 something, hence why the season opened a week earlier last year and closed a week earlier than past years. Anyone who is a serious duck hunter knows and agrees here in Wisconsin the hunting only gets better later in the year. Some years it may get harder due to ice up but in wi there are more migrators that come through later than there are local ducks... We should be pushing for a later season or a longer split between first and second.

For those who think it will be easy to id teal in a low light morning almost a month before reg season opener, you will be the one to shoot an illegal. Juvenile woodies look extremely close to teal especially this early. Same size and woodies this early especially juvi don't have their color or often times there Mohawk. Usually it's the whistle that gives them away and there gone by the time you I'd hear that. It should be interesting.... Prolly just spend my time shooting five geese. This is all too remnant of sitting in a tree stand for antlerless only watching every buck in the neighborhood walk past. To each there own.

Here's some light reading for you.
http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/wm/WM0010.pdf
Please tell me where they are taking days away, I'm curious to know where you got that info. The feds can give as few as 30 days and a max of 60 in our flyway. Yes, hunting in WI gets better later in the year, I won't disagree. This teal season will only fail if hunters allow it to. If you can't ID teal in low light conditions in shotgun range, you shouldn't be shooting- plain and simple.
WiHonker
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:47 pm

Dude, they have early teal seasons in the south.

THE SOUTH.

If they can figure it out...
Bill Herian
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting