Early Wisconsin Teal Season

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Early Wisconsin Teal Season

Poll ended at Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:02 pm

Yes I want a 15 day Early Teal Season
79%
No I do not want a Early Teal Season
21%

Total votes : 14

Re: Early Wisconsin Teal Season

Postby uglymug » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:53 pm

^X2

No one is making you hunt. If you have moral problem with it we are fine with letting you stay home.
uglymug
hunter

Postby GREENHEAD777 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:36 pm

I've never had an issue of identifying teal from other ducks. Even young wood ducks. Even when I was a new hunter I could always tell the distinctive flight pattern and look of a teal from any other duck. Not to say there won't be mistakes but I don't believe many birds will be taken illegally (by accident, there's always those *****$ who feel they're above the law). If you are at all worried about misidentifying a bird then don't go out or take extra time when a birds in range until you are 100% sure that its a teal. You may miss opportunities this way but it's far better than taking the wrong shot and paying the price and potentially ruining it for the rest of us in years to come
GREENHEAD777
hunter

Postby WiHonker » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:16 am

Perhaps my post was misunderstood. I'm all in favor of the teal season, and will be taking full advantage of it. When I said it would fail if hunters let it, I meant we need to police each other, and not give the powers that be a reason to take it away. I'm always in favor of more opportunities for waterfowling. Good luck to all that are going, be safe, and by all means, have fun.
WiHonker
hunter

Postby snosleder080 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:07 pm

I am glad I have stirred up some discussion here as that is what these forums are for. Let me clear some implications that have been put on me up. I am an avid hunter just as all of you are. I don't think any of us in this thread are the ones we need to worry about. In fact if I do end up out on the water for this season I will probably let the teal decoy and then flush them just to 100% sure even with my 19 years duck hunting experience. My concern is as most of you in favor have admitted, there are many fowlers out there who have the shoot first ask questions later, skybust attitude. As wihonker mentioned everyone needs to police to ensure legal practices as those guys ruin it for everyone.

Honker the regs were not published yet when I checked the DNR site before my post. I am glad to see they didn't cut the regular season down at all for this teal shoot. It's just my opinion as you are all entitled to yours that I would rather see that 7 days added to the end of the season when I think hunting is better around here. Hopefully hunters milling around marshes stirring up teal AND every other species they can't shoot 3 weeks before reg season opener doesn't affect anything. Good discussion though and best of luck to everyone.
snosleder080
hunter

Postby mikeg1005 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:42 pm

snosleder080 wrote:My concern is as most of you in favor have admitted, there are many fowlers out there who have the shoot first ask questions later, skybust attitude. As wihonker mentioned everyone needs to police to ensure legal practices as those guys ruin it for everyone.

How is this any different than the regular season?
mikeg1005
hunter

Postby GREENHEAD777 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:58 pm

mikeg1005 wrote:
snosleder080 wrote:My concern is as most of you in favor have admitted, there are many fowlers out there who have the shoot first ask questions later, skybust attitude. As wihonker mentioned everyone needs to police to ensure legal practices as those guys ruin it for everyone.

How is this any different than the regular season?

I don't think he's saying its different. His point is that the teal season is experimental, and therefore more of a privilege than our normal season. If "we" screw it up then it may be taken away. Chances of them taking away a regular season probably won't happen.
GREENHEAD777
hunter

Postby WiHonker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:38 pm

I don't think he's saying its different. His point is that the teal season is experimental, and therefore more of a privilege than our normal season. If "we" screw it up then it may be taken away. Chances of them taking away a regular season probably won't happen.

Yes, that's what I meant. It will always happen during the regular season, but there is much more margin for error. Hell, according to the regs, if a cinnamon teal gets 1500 miles off course and buzzes my spread, I can't even pull the trigger. :lol3:
And yes, snosleder, I'd also rather see days added to the end of the season.
WiHonker
hunter

Postby GREENHEAD777 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:41 pm

WiHonker wrote:

Yes, that's what I meant. It will always happen during the regular season, but there is much more margin for error. Hell, according to the regs, if a cinnamon teal gets 1500 miles off course and buzzes my spread, I can't even pull the trigger. :lol3:
And yes, snosleder, I'd also rather see days added to the end of the season.

We can't shoot cinnamon teal here? Oh man there goes my early teal spot..
GREENHEAD777
hunter

Postby WiHonker » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:40 am

If you're lucky enough to kill, let alone, see a cinnamon teal in WI, you'd better be buying a powerball ticket.
WiHonker
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:10 am

There was a teal here this spring that is normally found in africa and southwest asia. Had a big article in the newspaper about it. Birdwatchers got tons of pics of it at a marsh in sw (?) Wi somewhere. Pretty cool bird
Rhock19
hunter

Postby uglymug » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:05 am

We aren't allowed to shoot cinnamon's? Good to know. Probably a moot point, but you never know...
uglymug
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:09 am

Who says you can't shoot cinnamons. This is farce if I've ever heard it.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:17 am

The DNR said BWT and GWT only in reference to some states allowing wood ducks too. That and just reiterating that you can't shoot big ducks. Good luck telling a cinnamon apart from a BWT anyways.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby GREENHEAD777 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:38 pm

Hey my brother shot one his first ever duck hunt when we were younger. That and a pintail in the same hunt. I still envy him because at that time I was too young too hunt(bday in October so I had to wait until I was of age to go that year). Those two have been on the top of my Ducket list ever since. This year may be the year I cross one off :grooving:
GREENHEAD777
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:26 pm

Specified in regs bwt and gwt only so if you by dumb luck stone a cinnamon your screwed if you get caught. I wish they allowed you to shoot a woody or two also. I already got a woody over early teal :grooving:
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby CrazyYouthHunter » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:51 pm

WIgunner30 wrote:Specified in regs bwt and gwt only so if you by dumb luck stone a cinnamon your screwed if you get caught. I wish they allowed you to shoot a woody or two also. I already got a woody over early teal :grooving:

:lol:
That would be nice though to throw at least one or two wood ducks just in case you :censored: up.
Got my year all figured out and will have great duck hunting time after school!

CrazyYouthHunter
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:23 pm

WIgunner30 wrote:Specified in regs bwt and gwt only so if you by dumb luck stone a cinnamon your screwed if you get caught. I wish they allowed you to shoot a woody or two also. I already got a woody over early teal :grooving:

Psshhhhh you must be one of those law abiding peoples.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:20 am

cinnamon better not fly by me lol :biggrin:
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:56 pm

If the warden can correctly differentiate a cinnamon from a blue wing on Sept 1st, I'll take the ticket.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:50 pm

Has anyone been seeing teal? I haven't seen crap scouting. Mallards mallards mallards geese and more mallards!
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby uglymug » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:14 am

WIgunner30 wrote:Has anyone been seeing teal? I haven't seen crap scouting. Mallards mallards mallards geese and more mallards!

I've seen some blue wings by me.
uglymug
hunter

Postby GREENHEAD777 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:18 pm

Handful of teal. Mostly mallards and wood ducks
GREENHEAD777
hunter

Postby Podcast » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:23 pm

Bill Herian wrote:And another thing.

Why is everyone getting all revved up over the possibility that hunters will mistakenly shoot birds other than teal? You can go out there any day of the season and overbag or shoot something you aren't supposed to. They give us sixty days and a 70 page book of dos and dont's and ambiguous regulations and you guys are fine with it but all of a sudden no one can be trusted to identify teal?

So what if a few woodies get waxed? You understand that these are the same woodies that we will be blowing to smithereens when the regular season rolls around, correct? It's no different than violating any other time, I say let the hunters have at it and let the COs sort it out.

Man I've been preaching this fer awhile with all the nay sayers. People gonna be dumb then they gonna be dumb no matter what season. Ain't no hurt in tryin a teal season. All this BS with "pressured birds" because of 1 week of teal season when the goose hunters have been pounding fer 2 weeks plus the boat traffic increases at least in my area fer scouting and everyone worried about pressure???
Stage 2 GTR rippin up a 1746 custom Mike Kliebert
Podcast
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:11 pm

My boat was anchored last sept 1st as it will be this sept 1st. Only difference I will be shooting at the teal in the goose dekes rather than just watching em. On my end pressure will be no different.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:58 pm

The flocks of teal that are here next week will be migrated out by the next. I really don't think we realize just how early these birds migrate. I wouldn't be surprised if you see new birds every day this teal season.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting