Blinds in WIsconsin

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Blinds in WIsconsin

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Does anybody know if its legal to build a blind, the blind will be a couple pallets and some a pvc frame? IS that legal to do?
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby townsendstorm » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:40 am

Blinds need to be attached to rooted vegetation that is part of the shore line. you can find more out by going on the WI DNR web site
townsendstorm
hunter

Postby waterfowl slammer » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:10 pm

✦ Waterfowl blinds (S): Establish a waterfowl blind on
state property, including the bed of any navigable lake,
prior to 7 days before the season or leave it established
beyond 7 days after the close of the season. No person
may maintain, occupy or use any blind left on state property
during the season unless the owner's name, address
and DNR customer identifi cation number in the English
language and in lettering one inch square or larger is
affi xed permanently to the blind and shall be readily visible
and legible at all times.

This comes from the early goose regulations. Hope this helps.
waterfowl slammer
hunter

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:46 pm

So I can build it, but not live in it? Or I have to build it 7 days before the season? and take it down seven days after?
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby Blackdogs » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:10 am

IT IS ILLEGAL TO:

✦ Waterfowl blinds (S): Establish a waterfowl blind on
state property, including the bed of any navigable lake,
prior to 7 days before the season or leave it established
beyond 7 days after the close of the season. No person
may maintain, occupy or use any blind left on state property
during the season unless the owner's name, address
and DNR customer identifi cation number in the English
language and in lettering one inch square or larger is
affi xed permanently to the blind and shall be readily visible
and legible at all times.

In other words, you can build a blind NO SOONER than 7 days before waterfowl season and cannot leave it out PAST 7 days after the waterfowl season!!!!
Blackdogs
hunter

OK, but what about private (owned or leased) land?

Postby stor » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:35 pm

Can you build a more permanent blind?
stor
Newb

Postby stor » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:36 pm

Sorry.

Can you build permanent or semi-permanent blinds on land that you own or lease?
stor
Newb

Postby water_swatter01 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:02 pm

stor wrote:Sorry.

Can you build permanent or semi-permanent blinds on land that you own or lease?

If you own the land you can build whatever you want.
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby getemclose » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:22 pm

the blind can obviously be built at anytime, it just cant be put on location until the 7 days before the season. if you own or lease the land you can build a permanent blind and leave it in all year. I have a friend back home who owns lake front property, you can damn near live out of his blind, ran electric and gas lines down to it... really nice.

hope this helps, good luck huntin
getemclose
hunter

Postby stor » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:49 pm

Thanks!
stor
Newb

Re: Blinds in WIsconsin

Postby Jham » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:31 pm

I want to build a blind on WVIC Wisconsin Valley Improvement Co land. I think this land is private, not state owned. Anyway, it is open to public hunting because I emailed them and it says on their website. When the water is low can I put a blind on the exposed mud shoreline with no vegetation. I'm talking on the muddy shore (land), and not in the water at all. The WI DNR site says a blind has to be concealed 50% from one view by vegetation. This only applies if you are in the water and not on land right? I want a blind in the middle of an open dirt shoreline with no vegetation. Any thoughts? Also, this shorline is owned by WVIC and open to public hunting, so state land regs don't apply since it is actually privately owned right? Or do state land laws apply since the exposed shoreline is actually dry flowage bed and not land?
Jham
Newb

Postby webfettish » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Jham wrote:I want to build a blind on WVIC Wisconsin Valley Improvement Co land. I think this land is private, not state owned. Anyway, it is open to public hunting because I emailed them and it says on their website. When the water is low can I put a blind on the exposed mud shoreline with no vegetation. I'm talking on the muddy shore (land), and not in the water at all. The WI DNR site says a blind has to be concealed 50% from one view by vegetation. This only applies if you are in the water and not on land right? I want a blind in the middle of an open dirt shoreline with no vegetation. Any thoughts? Also, this shorline is owned by WVIC and open to public hunting, so state land regs don't apply since it is actually privately owned right? Or do state land laws apply since the exposed shoreline is actually dry flowage bed and not land?

If its private land and its not urs. Talk to the owner. Or u may not be welcome back next year. Don't ruin it for others. Ask first.
webfettish
hunter

Location: Horicon, Oakfield, Eldorado, Green Bay, Winnebago (Water in WI)

Postby jmitch » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:16 am

Jham wrote:I want to build a blind on WVIC Wisconsin Valley Improvement Co land. I think this land is private, not state owned. Anyway, it is open to public hunting because I emailed them and it says on their website. When the water is low can I put a blind on the exposed mud shoreline with no vegetation. I'm talking on the muddy shore (land), and not in the water at all. The WI DNR site says a blind has to be concealed 50% from one view by vegetation. This only applies if you are in the water and not on land right? I want a blind in the middle of an open dirt shoreline with no vegetation. Any thoughts? Also, this shorline is owned by WVIC and open to public hunting, so state land regs don't apply since it is actually privately owned right? Or do state land laws apply since the exposed shoreline is actually dry flowage bed and not land?

If its WVIC land and is for sure open to pubic hunting I would treat it exactly like state land. Are you sure its WVIC land? Depending on which flowage your talking about it may actually be state land. A few of the flowages I know well up north are completely surrounded by state land not WVIC, so that may be somthing to look into if you haven't already. We've built blinds are dry ground without vegetation like you're asking about before and it was never a problem. In fact I've even done it on a northern Wisconsin WVIC flowage that's surrounded by state land. And I've seen a few other do that too. Couldn't tell you for sure if its legal or not but as long as your not in the water or dig a sinkbox type structure I think you'll be just fine.
jmitch
hunter

Postby Jham » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:04 am

Thanks for your replies. I looked up the section of land on the online GIS and got parcel ID's and found that it was owned by WVIC. I then emailed WVIC referencing the ID #'s and they said yes, it is WVIC land and yes, it is open to public. They also said I can put a blind on it as long as I take it down at the end of the season. They didn't say anything about the 7 day rule, but I'll just assume state land rules just in case. My thoughts are the same - If the blind isn't in water, then it doesn't have to be in vegetation. Pretty sure this rule is just to help define the no open water rule. People hunt in in layout blinds in open fields all the time without vegetation covering any side of the blind, so I assume dry land is treated differently. Thanks again for your response!
Jham
Newb

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting